Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
Hello.

This has probably been brought many times before, but I am new here so sorry in advance.

I have been given a Sony Handycam DCR-SR50E by my friend, and I am supposed to be editing the videos on my MacBook Pro. However, this HD camera is completely incompatible with the Mac and I have to download special programs just to watch the videos, let alone edit them. It's something to do with a screwed up codec, or so I am told.

I have tried a few video converters on the internet but they are all optimised for iPhones or iPods and are not great quality. The rest all cost £100, and I am not paying that to help a friend edit some personal videos. So basically I was wondering: does anyone know of any good HD video converters, whether they are compatible with a MacBook, whether they are compatible with iMovie, how good they are and how expensive they are?

In advance, thank you.

(P.S. I have iMovies 2009, if that makes a difference)

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
to name a few

Hello.

This has probably been brought many times before, but I am new here so sorry in advance.

I have been given a Sony Handycam DCR-SR50E by my friend, and I am supposed to be editing the videos on my MacBook Pro. However, this HD camera is completely incompatible with the Mac and I have to download special programs just to watch the videos, let alone edit them. It's something to do with a screwed up codec, or so I am told.

I have tried a few video converters on the internet but they are all optimised for iPhones or iPods and are not great quality. The rest all cost £100, and I am not paying that to help a friend edit some personal videos. So basically I was wondering: does anyone know of any good HD video converters, whether they are compatible with a MacBook, whether they are compatible with iMovie, how good they are and how expensive they are?

In advance, thank you.

(P.S. I have iMovies 2009, if that makes a difference)

Before some one jumps on you, it wouldn't hurt to try a search, as you stated, this has been brought up multiple times.

A few you might check out are:

streamclip (but last I checked, and it has been a while, it will compress to standard def.)

isquint or visualhub

handbrake

canopus (not free, but good)

just google them.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It's a hard drive based camera, not a high definition camera, so MPEG StreamClip will convert the file for use in iMovie. But you need to have some kind of MPEG2 decoder installed - VLC should accomplish this.

rustyness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
Before some one jumps on you, it wouldn't hurt to try a search, as you stated, this has been brought up multiple times.

A few you might check out are:

streamclip (but last I checked, and it has been a while, it will compress to standard def.)

isquint or visualhub

handbrake

canopus (not free, but good)

just google them.
I tried a few of them and the quality was not great, but thanks anyway. That was why I asked again, and was more specific about my problem.

r.j.s said:
It's a hard drive based camera, not a high definition camera, so MPEG StreamClip will convert the file for use in iMovie. But you need to have some kind of MPEG2 decoder installed - VLC should accomplish this.
Thanks. I already have VLC installed. I was told the camera was HD and just took my friends word for it. I thought the quality was a bit naff for a HD camera, but just assumed because it was a bit old it was back when HD was a bit sketchy.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Export the files from StreamClip as DV, that will maintain the highest possible quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.