PDA

View Full Version : Will we know beforehand if G5 hits the 3 Ghz mark?

SuperChuck
Apr 25, 2004, 05:53 PM
When the IBM chipmaking process hit 90 nanometers, it was widely discussed long before the chip surfaced in the X-Serve. Wouldn't details of the upcoming Powermac revision be discussed on the IBM end? If they had managed to manufacture 3 Ghz chips with moderate-to-high yields, wouldn't this make the rounds as the 90 nanometer process did?

Where would one look to find such info as it is released?

King Cobra
Apr 25, 2004, 06:06 PM
Depends on whether or not one of the guys over at Apple reproduce the "Premature specification" from the original G5 Powermac webpage event a year ago.

To me, I think we know already if they'll hit. I read several posts on these forums regarding the impossibility of a 1GHz increase...but that's what we should all be expecting (at the least) because of Steve's announcement from 2003. Yet I'm sure that exactly 12 hours before the new G5 Powermac gets introduced at WWDC 2004 (12 hours to twenty-one significant figures) some citable source with get quoted at Macrumors with all the correct info.

Sun Baked
Apr 25, 2004, 06:18 PM
If Apple suddenly catches up on XServe G5s there's a good chance that Apple is starting to get big shipments of 970FX CPUs, but as long as there's a big backlog of these relatively low-volume machines it's doubtful there will be enough chips for the PowerMac G5s.

And while there is a big backlog (relatively speaking) of XServes, those probably represent a small fraction of the expected first weeks orders for the much faster Rev. B PowerMac G5.