PDA

View Full Version : A moments silence please

steviec
Apr 25, 2009, 01:43 PM
I have a dead Power Mac G5 2.5ghz - with 6GB Ram ..

According to Apple the logic board needs replacing. Any thoughts on what to do with this now. I am not going to replace the board as by the time I do that I can get another Mac with most likely more power at a cheaper cost .. (It was replaced by a Mac Pro anyway)

So I thinking of the following:

Sell to someone here
Sell on ebay
Do something create with it ..

Thoughts?

Matek
Apr 25, 2009, 04:31 PM
Definitely sell it on eBay, I'd say sell seperate parts. You can get a lot of money for RAM, modders are often looking for cases, etc.

Fomaphone
Apr 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
craigslist. it's faster than ebay and free. cash, too.

michael.lauden
Apr 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
put all of the separate parts up on craigslist and the MR marketplace for 2 weeks, and then put all the separate parts on eBay if you haven't had any bites.

zer0tails
Apr 25, 2009, 06:01 PM
build a hackintosh with the powermac G5 case. Revive its spirit!

Schtumple
Apr 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
craigslist. it's faster than ebay and free. cash, too.

Also a hell of a lot less secure if you go the cash route...

Stick with eBay if you want to sell it, if you fancy a hackintosh route, do it, it would be a pretty cool mod, don't think I've actually ever seen one made.

J&JPolangin
Apr 25, 2009, 06:11 PM
...rip...

Illicit
Apr 25, 2009, 07:54 PM
Also a hell of a lot less secure if you go the cash route...

Stick with eBay if you want to sell it, if you fancy a hackintosh route, do it, it would be a pretty cool mod, don't think I've actually ever seen one made.

It's not insecure either if you're careful with setting up the meeting. Sellers will definitely have more security than buyers, especially in his case where the most he'll lose is a dead G5.

I've had several good encounters through Craigslist. Would definitely recommend it. Deal locally, meet in a public place, maybe bring a buddy to watch from the side, and make sure everything's alright before finally completing the deal. i.e. make sure none of the bills are fake before saying thank you.

Topper
Apr 25, 2009, 10:46 PM
I have a dead Power Mac G5 2.5ghz - with 6GB Ram ..

According to Apple the logic board needs replacing. Any thoughts on what to do with this now. I am not going to replace the board as by the time I do that I can get another Mac with most likely more power at a cheaper cost .. (It was replaced by a Mac Pro anyway)

So I thinking of the following:

Sell to someone here
Sell on ebay
Do something create with it ..

Thoughts?

I don't know why but the G5s had problems with the logic board. I should know.
I live in Boston and I found a very good and cheap Apple authorized repair service.
They were a lot cheaper than the repair service at the Apple Store.

After I replaced the logic board, I traded it in for a Mac Pro.

steviec
Apr 26, 2009, 10:07 AM
I don't know why but the G5s had problems with the logic board. I should know.
I live in Boston and I found a very good and cheap Apple authorized repair service.
They were a lot cheaper than the repair service at the Apple Store.

After I replaced the logic board, I traded it in for a Mac Pro.

Topper, can you give me the info, maybe I will fix it. It would make a nice Media Server .....

Topper
Apr 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
Topper, can you give me the info, maybe I will fix it. It would make a nice Media Server .....

I paid a little over 600 dollars but that was over two years ago.

Organize-It (Independent Apple Authorized Repair Service)
144 Smith Street
(between Huntington Ave & Wigglesworth St)
Boston, MA 02120
(617) 734-7240

kellen
Apr 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
My thoughts would be to keep it if it was performing all your tasks with ease. If it was slower, then time to upgrade. Sell it and put it towards a new computer.

600 for a Motherboard is a good price for a new computer, but if it is just going to one that is slow and not meeting your needs its not worth it. 600 would be half the price of the older refurbished 24" imac 2.8.

Try ebay, perhaps they have some cheap or you can buy one that is broken due to a non MB reason and put them together, selling the extra parts to recuperate some money.

Topper
Apr 26, 2009, 01:49 PM
My thoughts would be to keep it if it was performing all your tasks with ease. If it was slower, then time to upgrade. Sell it and put it towards a new computer.

600 for a Motherboard is a good price for a new computer, but if it is just going to one that is slow and not meeting your needs its not worth it. 600 would be half the price of the older refurbished 24" imac 2.8.

Try ebay, perhaps they have some cheap or you can buy one that is broken due to a non MB reason and put them together, selling the extra parts to recuperate some money.

That was 600 bucks two years ago. Not sure what the cost is today.

It worked out well for me.
I was able to use my G5 until the 2008 Mac Pro was released.
The trade-in value for my G5 was dramatically increased with the inclusion of the new logic board.

kellen
Apr 26, 2009, 03:09 PM
That was 600 bucks two years ago. Not sure what the cost is today.

It worked out well for me.
I was able to use my G5 until the 2008 Mac Pro was released.
The trade-in value for my G5 was dramatically increased with the inclusion of the new logic board.

Tough decision either way. Think it all boils down to how well the machine is working for you now.

However I am always looking for a reason to upgrade!

Matek
Apr 27, 2009, 05:30 AM
For $600, even the cheapest Mac Mini can beat the s*** out of that old G5, not to mention what a custom-build computer would do.

opeter
Apr 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
For $600, even the cheapest Mac Mini can beat the s*** out of that old G5, not to mention what a custom-build computer would do.

Have to fully agree with this. I would for sure look at the Mac minis, or any other Macs, that are build around Intel Core 2 Duos.