PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth mouse for Powerbook

powerofthekiwi
Apr 25, 2004, 08:43 PM
just ordered my new powerbook last week - oh yeah!!!

now I want to get myself a nice bluetooth mouse for it. I want a regular sized mouse - doesn't have to be super tiny. I was looking at the microsoft's bluetooth mouse (i know, i know...) and it looks pretty nice and I had read the buttons could be configured with expose. Anyone know of any other nice bluetooth mice out right now? Anyone have experience with the microsoft mouse?

things I need: 2 buttons and a scroll whell (sorry apple, I hate you BT mouse!)

Gherkin
Apr 25, 2004, 08:47 PM
I'm getting my 15" Powerbook very soon, and I'm going to wait for the MacMice.com bluetooth mouse they are releasing in June. If it gets bad reviews or something, I'm just gonna go with the Logitech one.

Apr 25, 2004, 08:49 PM
I bought an Apple BlueTooth Mouse because it looks awesome and I dont need 9 buttons and 2 scroll wheels.

It's quite possibly the best mouse I've used, it fits my hand perfectly and it serves its purpose, in style. :D

powerofthekiwi
Apr 25, 2004, 08:56 PM
I bought an Apple BlueTooth Mouse because it looks awesome and I dont need 9 buttons and 2 scroll wheels.

It's quite possibly the best mouse I've used, it fits my hand perfectly and it serves its purpose, in style. :D

The problem is that when working in photoshop and FCP that 2nd button is nearly required ands speeds up workflow considerably, at least for me....

that and scroll wheels are great for websites like this one ;)

stoid
Apr 25, 2004, 08:57 PM
I'm getting my 15" Powerbook very soon, and I'm going to wait for the MacMice.com bluetooth mouse they are releasing in June. If it gets bad reviews or something, I'm just gonna go with the Logitech one.

Same here. I really like all of the MacMice products, and am planning on getting an iBreeze as well as the graphite 2 button scroll wheel mouse this summer.

Makyz
Apr 25, 2004, 09:11 PM
I am eagerly waiting the Bluetooth MacMice, if their past products are any indication- it will be impressive.

June release!

I have the Logitech MX900 with all the buttons, but I wont miss em expose hasnt spoiled me that much hehe :-)

stoid
Apr 25, 2004, 09:16 PM
Does MacMice accept pre-orders like GriffinTechnology does?

Phatpat
Apr 25, 2004, 09:23 PM
I'd suggest the logitech MX900. It works great and you can configure the buttons in expose.

stoid
Apr 25, 2004, 09:28 PM
BTW, the MacMice one is supposed to be $69.95.

powerofthekiwi
Apr 25, 2004, 10:03 PM
I'd suggest the logitech MX900. It works great and you can configure the buttons in expose.

hmm... looks nice but it comes with a charging "dock" that works as a bluetooth hub as well, my pbook will already have this built in. my ideal solution would be something i could just pull out and turn on and it would be going, nothing that would need me to "plug in" a dock

MacFan26
Apr 26, 2004, 12:07 AM
Macally is also coming out with a BlueTooth mouse, it's listed at $49. I really love the Macally mouse that I have now, which it basically the same as this one, but USB.

edit: link
http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/btmini.html

powerofthekiwi
Apr 26, 2004, 12:10 AM
Macally is also coming out with a BlueTooth mouse, it's listed at $49. I really love the Macally mouse that I have now, which it basically the same as this one, but USB.

:eek: ooooohhhh.... drool!

I'm definatly waiting for that - It will match my PB perfect, its small, it has an off switch, and it only costs $50!

Hooray! any idea when they'll ship? thanks macfan

stoid
Apr 26, 2004, 12:38 AM

Very nice, but unless it's shipping much earlier than mid-June, I'll wait for the macmice one since I really like the Apple-esque look it has.

MacFan26
Apr 26, 2004, 12:59 AM
Hooray! any idea when they'll ship? thanks macfan

hm, I don't know when they'll ship, I'm not sure how long it's been listed as "coming soon." Seems like it shouldn't be too long though, but that's a guess.

JFreak
Apr 26, 2004, 01:37 AM
The problem is that when working in photoshop and FCP that 2nd button is nearly required ands speeds up workflow considerably, at least for me....

that and scroll wheels are great for websites like this one ;)

everything you get used to speeds up the workflow, and that speedup doesn't require more buttons. i don't have a problem in keeping my left index finger on control button of the keyboard, because that's where it rests anyway.

in fact, because i have a powerbook and half of the time am using its trackpad, i've got used to it so much i would in fact now have difficulties using multi-button-scrollwheel kind of rat. my workflow in photoshop is much faster with single-button mouse, because i have absolutely no need to think about what additional buttons do - the 2nd button functionality i have under my left index finger.

but maybe that's just me.

i think single-button is good, because when you need to hit that control button, you know better what you are doing. in my office many windows users [here mac is a minority] ckick a million times and get nothing done, and that's because they don't KNOW what they wish to do and therefore try clicking everything. the clickety-clickety-clickety sound gets sometimes very annoying. me and other mac users rarely click the mouse button, and when we do, something gets done.

[going strictly off topic, but the many-clicks-few-actions mouse behaviour appears strangely in the windows networks also. interestingly. windows network transfers many packages, but getting little throughput. at home where there are only macs, every time the hub flashes, something gets transferred. unix just uses network resources sparingly, unlike windows that says "hi" to other computers every ten seconds.]

so, to summarize: no, you don't get faster workflow by adding more buttons to your mouse. you get faster workflow by knowing better what you are doing.

stoid
Apr 26, 2004, 01:41 AM
I really like a scroll wheel for internet page nevigation and reading/posting on message boards. However, since I've never seen one-button scroll wheel mouses, I'm going to have to settle for a two+scroll.

After having used windows though, you use both buttons so frequently, that I don't think you could operate the computer using only one button.

spaceballl
Apr 26, 2004, 01:55 AM
Yeah. It is.

caveman_uk
Apr 26, 2004, 04:23 AM

I use a two button+scroll microsoft optical mouse at work with windows and an Apple Bluetooth mouse on my mac at home. Personally I don't have a problem with either. I can't honestly see why people get so uptight about an extra button.

I do find the Apple mouse a lot more ergonomic - it feels nicer and the whole-mouse-is-the-button idea works for me but a standard mouse is fine as well.

JFreak
Apr 26, 2004, 05:06 AM
I really like a scroll wheel.

i have also noted that people like it a lot. people actually like it so much they tend to drive the scrollwheel even when it's a lot slower than dragging the scrollbar.

in my office anyway [where there are mostly windows pc:s], people seem to forget the point: scrollwheel was introduced to speed up things, but nowadays it instead slows things down [because people seem to think the scrollwheel is the only way to scroll] and makes people have handaches.

but maybe it's just my office; however, just recently one man got a two-week sick leave because of the almighty scrollwheel. what a great productivity gain by scrollwheel :rolleyes:

remember, by definition mouse is a pointing device. not a scrolling device. you can point what you want to scroll and just do it. a mouse only needs to be able to click and move the pointer. nothing else. i'm glad apple keeps things simple and intuitive.

JFreak
Apr 26, 2004, 05:07 AM
I do find the Apple mouse a lot more ergonomic.

me too :)

powerofthekiwi
Apr 26, 2004, 07:24 AM
everything you get used to speeds up the workflow, and that speedup doesn't require more buttons. i don't have a problem in keeping my left index finger on control button of the keyboard, because that's where it rests anyway.

in fact, because i have a powerbook and half of the time am using its trackpad, i've got used to it so much i would in fact now have difficulties using multi-button-scrollwheel kind of rat. my workflow in photoshop is much faster with single-button mouse, because i have absolutely no need to think about what additional buttons do - the 2nd button functionality i have under my left index finger.

i think single-button is good, because when you need to hit that control button, you know better what you are doing. in my office many windows users [here mac is a minority] ckick a million times and get nothing done, and that's because they don't KNOW what they wish to do and therefore try clicking everything. the clickety-clickety-clickety sound gets sometimes very annoying. me and other mac users rarely click the mouse button, and when we do, something gets done.

[going strictly off topic, but the many-clicks-few-actions mouse behaviour appears strangely in the windows networks also. interestingly. windows network transfers many packages, but getting little throughput. at home where there are only macs, every time the hub flashes, something gets transferred. unix just uses network resources sparingly, unlike windows that says "hi" to other computers every ten seconds.]

so, to summarize: no, you don't get faster workflow by adding more buttons to your mouse. you get faster workflow by knowing better what you are doing.

I enjoyed reading this post - everyone is always up in arms for multi button mice and this is a very interesting angle to the situation. I believe the last statement you mentioned is most likely true - and how you prefer a one button mouse I simply prefer a multi-button mouse.

Another reason I (and I'm sure many others) enjoy a multi-button mouse w/scroll is for games. Assigning the scroll to "switch" weapons and as alternatate fire in FPS (such as halo) is very very convienient and Black and White requires so much right clicking that a multi-button mouse is almost required.

powerofthekiwi
Apr 26, 2004, 07:25 AM
Hooray! I'm not a "newb" on these boards anymore!

Grimace
Apr 26, 2004, 08:11 AM

Keep in mind that this is a MINI Bluetooth mouse. There is one like this on the market right now that some people think is too small. just sayin...

Westside guy
Apr 26, 2004, 10:25 AM
I got a scrollwheel mouse back when I was still a Linux user. They're addictive! It drives me nuts now if I have to use a mouse that doesn't scroll.

denm316
Apr 26, 2004, 10:55 AM
I would probably go with the Apple mouse, I hate the fact that it is only one button and no scroll wheel.

However the Apple mouse can be turned off. I am not sure if the Microsoft one or the Logitech one has an off switch on it for when you put it in your bag.

Anyone have the answer to this??

spaceballl
Apr 26, 2004, 11:32 AM
While some can get along just fine without a scroll wheel and second mouse button, providing constructive arguments like
"Why don't you just have one finger on the control button? I do that and I love it!"
"People need to realize that the scroll wheel actually slows things down!"
Blah blah blah. The fact is that people who are used to scroll wheels and mutliple buttons have a tough time switching to something that limits their capabilities. If they want the extra button and a scroll wheel, convicincing them to hold the control button down the whole time to get a right click isn't going to work.

aswitcher
Apr 26, 2004, 03:34 PM
Well I am going to wait and see how the BT mice go against the new ones coming out. I want one thats fully compatible with my powerbook with no problems using the built in BT, as well as a nice function... Not convinced on anythign currently available.

ipacmm
Apr 26, 2004, 04:54 PM
I would probably go with the Apple bluetooth mouse and the Griffin Powermate for FCP.

powerofthekiwi
Apr 26, 2004, 11:56 PM
For anyone else that is interested I emailed MacAlly and they told me the BT mini mouse will be released late may - perfect to get with my graduation money! :p

MacFan26
Apr 27, 2004, 01:39 AM
For anyone else that is interested I emailed MacAlly and they told me the BT mini mouse will be released late may - perfect to get with my graduation money! :p

That would be so great, I'm thinking about getting one now :D

edit: I wonder if it will work with the Dlink adapter?

Judicat0r
Apr 27, 2004, 04:18 AM
Anyone had experience with the Logitech DiNovo desktop? How does it work with a powerbook?

robotrenegade
Apr 27, 2004, 04:33 AM
I would probably go with the Apple mouse, I hate the fact that it is only one button and no scroll wheel.

However the Apple mouse can be turned off. I am not sure if the Microsoft one or the Logitech one has an off switch on it for when you put it in your bag.

Anyone have the answer to this??

Yes, I do. ummm no you can't turn them off, unless you pull out the batteries. Plus I think they suck. I had mine for a week and sold it to a friend. Apple mouse it pimp and apple will always give you updates!

Mustafa
Apr 27, 2004, 07:04 AM
.....in any discussions of BT mice. Looks good, anyone have one?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT500.aspx

Bear
Apr 27, 2004, 07:05 AM
That would be so great, I'm thinking about getting one now :D

edit: I wonder if it will work with the Dlink adapter?It should since Apple is pushing the dlink adapter for those who don't have builtin bluetooh.

The last firmware update for bluetooth also did dlink adapters if I recall correctly.

Bear
Apr 27, 2004, 07:09 AM
.....in any discussions of BT mice. Looks good, anyone have one?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT500.aspxBut has anyone used one or seen a review of it. The shape looks a bit odd, so it may be uncomfortable for some people.

If it actually shows up in the Apple Store at at CompUSA, I'll go in and play with it. But for right now, the most promisng multibutton bluetooth mouse is the one from MacMuce. Price will be about $70 and probably be available early June according to the last email I got from MacMice.

I want something that is comfortable [to me] has an on/off switch and will travel well. To me, the best reason for a bluetooth mouse is so you don't have to deal with cables when you pull your laptop out of its bag. [Okay, so sometimes you still have to plug in power and network connections. But haveine a wirelesss mouse gives faster setup and breakdown times.]

Mustafa
Apr 27, 2004, 07:28 AM
......you would have found this link to a review:

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=12008

Bear
Apr 27, 2004, 07:40 AM
......you would have found this link to a review:

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=12008
Very short review, but how about usability, comfort, tracking, etc? (To crib from one of the comments posted with the review.)

Westside guy
Apr 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
The MacMice one looks like it'll be cool, but I'm going to wait a couple months after it's released to see how people like it. I know the Bluetake mouse got everyone excited... until people bought and used it. :D

I do like my MS Bluetooth mouse - I just wish it were smaller and had an "off" switch. The power saving mode can be an annoyance at times. But I can't complain about the performance.

aswitcher
Apr 27, 2004, 02:34 PM
The MacMice one looks like it'll be cool, but I'm going to wait a couple months after it's released to see how people like it. I know the Bluetake mouse got everyone excited... until people bought and used it. :D

I do like my MS Bluetooth mouse - I just wish it were smaller and had an "off" switch. The power saving mode can be an annoyance at times. But I can't complain about the performance.

That's what I am thinking. I want an off switch, no synch problems with PB bluetooth, no lags or skipping, normal AA batteries (with rechargable being ok to use as well), buttons, good scroll wheel, and possibly a few more buttons for expose.