PDA

View Full Version : question about archive and install

abhishekit
Apr 25, 2004, 09:47 PM
i m doing an archive n install, becoz i really cant get airport to work now..as posted in another thread.
my question is, when i do archive n install. does its just back up my home directory, or the applications i have installed in applications directory as well?
i will really appreciate a fast answer, as i wanna do it tonite only..
thanks a lot

7on
Apr 25, 2004, 11:16 PM
Archive and Install will delete your /System and /Library and /User folder (if you have that little box unchecked, which I recommend because it'll create a /Previous Systems folder where you can drag home folder's contents back into place. If you check the box, the /Users and /Library will not be deleted and I recommend the /Library be deleted so I always suggest the check box being unchecked). You can manually delete your /Application folder and an Archive and Install will restore all apps deleted. Otherwise Archive and Install replaces apps in there with the ones on the Disk, so your 3rd-party stuff won't be deleted.

So the rundown,
•Delete your Applications folder (unnessary, but you might want to do it?)
•Boot off of CD/DVD
•Do an Archive and Install (with check box unchecked)
•Booting up will give you the Welcome screen, make sure the short name is the same as it was before.
•Drag the stuff from /Previous Systems/Users/shortname to /Users/shortname
•reboot
•sudo rm -r /Previous Systems
•Software Update
•Repair Permissions

I've reinstalled OSX numerous times, and this is the best way I've found to keep your data and reinstall the OS (Unless your hdd is failing). I suggest keeping the Archive and Install check box unchecked because otherwise it'll keep stray /Library files in there, which may cause a problem. It also saves time copying your stuff to an external hdd because the drag and drop thing from the same hdd is instantaneous.

abhishekit
Apr 26, 2004, 01:22 AM
thanks 7on..but let me clarify once again..coz i dont want to goof up on this...
i want all my home folder, and i want all my third party apps which currently are in /applications
to do that , i follow the steps in your rundown..
about thr third step..•Do an Archive and Install (with check box unchecked)
so i uncheck the 'keep user settings' checkbox??
rest of the steps are very clear..

so did i get u correctly?
thanks

7on
Apr 26, 2004, 07:24 AM
yeah uncheck it. It'll still save all your stuff. I don't have anything but the factory installed apps in my /Applications folder and when I was using this method on someone else's iBook it surprised me that it didn't delete the stuff in the /Applications folder. Yeah, I've reinstalled OSX on this PB in the past year more than anyone would have to their entire lives.

abhishekit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot 7on, it went perfectly well.. :cool: