Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCommunistGen

macrumors regular
Original poster
In the next week or so I'll be getting high speed internet and I need to share the connection. Unfortunately Networking is not my Forté. I would like to do several things:
1. Connect 2 computers through AirPort: an iMac DV, an iBook 500Mhz
2. Connect 2 computers on over-wire Ethernet: a Beige G3 and a PowerMac 5400 running OS 7.6.1
3. Have available ports for future computers or for visitors who would be using PC laptops
4. Connect (if possible) an Apple LaserWriter Select 360 -> I believe over AppleTalk as it does not have Ethernet
5. Be able to play games over the LAN and possibly be able to share the drives, or set up a shared drive all the computers can access.
6. Share an HP Deskjet 950 over USB (lowest priority)

All the computers have Ethernet. Aside from AirPort Cards and cables, what hardware would be best suited for my needs (Wireless Routers, Hubs, Etc). My basic problem is that I don't know the puropse for each piece of hardware. I'm not set on the AirPort Base Station as I've heard some bad things about it.

Any help is much appreciated -> I think someone else asked about this recently, If someone can find the link to that thread I'd appreciate that as well.

-MCG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.