PDA

View Full Version : Nehalem Confusion

prairiefire
Apr 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
I've tried to follow the threads here and gone back to re-read some -- but I'm still confused over whether there is an anticipated speed bump in the MacPro "8 cores" to go to 3.2GHZ.

Some old threads, posted an announcement for the 3.2 right after the introduction of the MacPro. Some posters said there would be a bump to take advantage of the 3.2, "soon", and others said that somehow the two 2.93's represent the fastest chips on the market, now.

I need not buy soon, and can wait til June if the 3.2 is imminent.

Can someone please clear this up for me?

(PS. no need to debate whether 3.2 would matter or not, I'm just confused about whether there is a 3.2 and whether we might see it soon.)

Thanks.

frimple
Apr 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
No one knows, some think no because they could have come out with the 3.2 in the starting lineup. I think it runs hotter and draws more power though so maybe they just planned on never offering it.

If you need it you could buy a base Octad, get two 3.2's and pop 'em in there. We love people trying stuff out. You could even re-sell your old processors on flea bay.

Tallest Skil
Apr 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
There is no anticipated bump. Apple had the choice from the beginning. They chose not to. They're not going to do it.

Shazaam!
Apr 26, 2009, 06:30 PM
Here's the way to think about it.

The different speed chips are not manufactured separately. They come off the same production line and are tested for the maximum speed that they will run at reliably. All undamaged chips will run a the lowest speed rating and perhaps 5% will run at the highest speed rating, even less initially. Until Intel has enough chips on hand to meet demand they don't ship the higher rated chips.

Until there's enough in inventory Apple can't announce availability or it will anger buyers because it either can't meet demand or the price is too high.

grue
Apr 26, 2009, 06:34 PM
Unlikely, but not impossible.

There is no anticipated bump. Apple had the choice from the beginning. They chose not to. They're not going to do it.

He Who Knows All has spoken. http://smiliesftw.com/x/rollseyes.gif

Until there's enough in inventory Apple can't announce availability or it will anger buyers because it either can't meet demand or the price is too high.

Hasn't stopped them in the past! :D

DeepCobalt
Apr 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
Apple is an independent company that can do whatever it wants, so unless Tallest Skil is an Apple insider, his "pronouncements" might be a bit too absolute...

That said, I would bet against a 3.2Ghz octad. Why? (A) it runs hotter, (B) Apple could have used it from the get-go, (C) the Xserve line is using the same 2.26, 2.66 and 2.93 config as the Mac Pros, and (D) there was a Harpertown 3.4Ghz, but Apple only offered the 3.2Ghz.

So if you want a 2.93, I don't think it's likely you'll see a faster Nehalem in 2009.

Cynicalone
Apr 26, 2009, 10:47 PM
Although I think it's possible we could see a speed bump this summer, I think it's doubtful. And an Octo 2.93Ghz will be fast enough for years to come.