PDA

View Full Version : Best way to play iPod Touch 2nd gen in car?

trooms8
Apr 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch and have been using the road trip in my car recently, but I want to upgrade to cd quality sound instead of radio.

I was looking at this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8760888&st=ipod+in+car&type=product&id=1202650491628)

Does anyone know of any good products? Thanks

TheShinyMac
Apr 26, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hey there are you near a best buy? As much as i despise geeksquad, for around 30 bucks they install a wire that plugs into the head phone jacket thing on the ipod touch and then bam great sounding quality for under 50 bucks!!!! it doesnt even matter what type of car you have, you just need a radio

trooms8
Apr 26, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks alot!

cmichaelb
Apr 26, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hey there are you near a best buy? As much as i despise geeksquad, for around 30 bucks they install a wire that plugs into the head phone jacket thing on the ipod touch and then bam great sounding quality for under 50 bucks!!!! it doesnt even matter what type of car you have, you just need a radio

Is this wire hooked up to the AUX in the back of your car stereo?

theDUB
Apr 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Is this wire hooked up to the AUX in the back of your car stereo?

If so, 30 bucks is a rip off to take out the stereo and plug in a $3 radio shack cable.

TheShinyMac
Apr 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
I dont know i cant drive but i believe the wire will come out of your dashboard compartment and i think it tells you the price on bestbuy or geeksquad dot com

g2tegg
Apr 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
For 30 bucks it must run through the antennae, and the car stereo has to be tuned to a specific radio station. This is a very common thing seen when a aftermarket cd changer is installed to work with the factory deck. Usually its tuned around 89.9 FM. This is by no means the best quality at all. The best way to get the best sound is either getting a ipod compatable deck (most decks are nowadays) or if the deck has a AUX input like mine does.

Sponsi
Apr 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
As another poster mentioned, you can buy a $3-5 cable that plugs into the AUX port of your car.

Here is a eBay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-AUX-AUXILIARY-CABLE-CORD-FOR-iPOD-CAR-STEREO-MP3_W0QQitemZ370192643113QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item370192643113&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1307|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Luckily, my AUX port is in my glove compartment so plugging it in myself is easy. You get the same quality as you would from a CD.

mikes70mustang
Apr 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
if the stereo is new enough it will plug in the back of your stereo. its will hang out of your dash. im pretty sure that the best quality is if you get a blade plugin that goes to your stereo. But i feel for ya, i hate my stupid road trip thing and its horrible quality sound. All my stereos are to old for the aux, so im stuck with it

Gyrferret
Apr 26, 2009, 11:31 PM
I will say that audio comming out of the 3.5 mm Jack doesn't sounds quite as good as music off a direct connection (the cable, not the jack).

But those connections are harder (albeit more expensive). I enjoy my FM transmitter though; it serves its purpose well. That may arise from the fact that I'm not a HUGE audiophile...

LtRammstein
Apr 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ouch...

First off, anything is way better than FM transmission, and with FM radio stations popping up everywhere, it's a good idea to have a plug.

Secondly, don't have Best Buy's Geek Squad do anything to your car audio! I had them look at a device for me, and I knew more about than they did. Besides, there are strictly car audio centers that do a better job at a better price. And if you look at Geek Squad's agreement, I believe they mention that they are not responsible for screwing anything up more.

In my Jeep Cherokee Classic, I have a custom stereo with an AUX input. It works great, plus if I'm on a road trip with friends or family, we can switch iPods out real quick.

Also, the 3.5mm jack has the same current/voltage output compared to the LR cable. It's just there's no cross frequencies between the LR like there is in the 3.5mm straight.

trooms8
Apr 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
I still have a custom radio head unit on a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer, but it does have a AUX button.

Does this mean I can run that 3.5 mm aux cable to the back of the unit and play my iPod with quality sound or is there a different cable I should use?