PDA

View Full Version : converting an old laptop HD into a portable HD

dcslacker
Apr 26, 2004, 07:50 AM
i have a nice 40 gig/4500 rpm MCE HD that i had installed in my old PB and want to remove it and convert it into a portable external HD for my new ibook. has anyone done this before? is it worth the effort? any particular kit recommendations? thanks.

idkew
Apr 26, 2004, 08:28 AM
i have two old 2.5" HDs that I use for backup purposes.

One is an 80gb that I use to clone my 80gb drive inside my laptop, and the other is a 48gb used for backup purposes.

it is a very simple process. go to newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) and click on shop by category. click on external enclosures, then in the search area, set it to 2.5" and IEEE 1394. then it will show you all the enclosures that will work for you. if you have a 12mm hd, make sure it will fit the enclosure, some only fit up to 9.5mm drives.

when you get it, follow the instructions to put the drive in the enclosure, and plug it in. no drivers, nothing. you might need to format the drive, if you erased it and never formatted it, but i doubt you will.

dcslacker
Apr 26, 2004, 04:57 PM
thanks! i plan on getting one with firewire and usb 2.0 ports. sure beats having to buy a new external HD.