Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Anybody here ever replace an LCD on a plastic MacBook?

I just ordered a nVidia MacBook, my second go around with a MacBook (first one was a 1.83 CD a couple of years ago.) The aluminum Macs are too expensive, and the MBA HD is too small.

The MacBook is pretty much the perfect mix of affordability, power, and reasonably compact size for me. The only thing I don't like is the LCD, it's not nearly as good as the more expensive Mac notebooks.

I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced a MB screen and found a better quality replacement? I see 13.3" matte LCD's on EBay as being compatible with the MB, which got me wondering if there were good replacement LCD's that were drop-in replacements for the white/black MB. I don't know that I'd ever actually replace a working screen until the warranty runs out (why void it?), but it would be tempting if for example you could buy something in line with the MBA screen, and stick it in the MB (LED vs. CCFL aside, it's mainly the vertical viewing angle that is most disappointing.)

A second question- I don't suppose the screens have changed at all since the original MB came out?

Thanks!

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Anybody here ever replace an LCD on a plastic MacBook?

I just ordered a nVidia MacBook, my second go around with a MacBook (first one was a 1.83 CD a couple of years ago.) The aluminum Macs are too expensive, and the MBA HD is too small.

The MacBook is pretty much the perfect mix of affordability, power, and reasonably compact size for me. The only thing I don't like is the LCD, it's not nearly as good as the more expensive Mac notebooks.

I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced a MB screen and found a better quality replacement? I see 13.3" matte LCD's on EBay as being compatible with the MB, which got me wondering if there were good replacement LCD's that were drop-in replacements for the white/black MB. I don't know that I'd ever actually replace a working screen until the warranty runs out (why void it?), but it would be tempting if for example you could buy something in line with the MBA screen, and stick it in the MB (LED vs. CCFL aside, it's mainly the vertical viewing angle that is most disappointing.)

A second question- I don't suppose the screens have changed at all since the original MB came out?

Thanks!

it is possible and there are commercial services offering, but it hardly seems worth it for the cost when you could probably upgrade to a mbp for the same price as the panel, not including labour if you felt less than confident about doing it yourself. the operation itself is not particularly involved, but if you are looking at a matte option, there is a more modding involved and you may not get a result you feel is as 'sexy' as your wallet said it was originally.

no one has done any serious empirical study of the improvement of MB lcd panels, the bottom line is they are using a mixed bag of panels that have obviously been set aside as being of a lower quality. some have been luckier than others, if you can check out a machine in-store before handing over cash you could go through 6 or so boxes before you are satisfied. see if that doesn't piss off the manager. used to be stuck pixels that people complained about, now it's just a less vibrant response.

if HD space is the only deterrent from a MBA, why not replace the HD with a larger one? cheap and easy.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it's of questionable value for sure. I was just wondering since there might be someone who had to replace a broken LCD (which is of course a different matter.) MB replacement screens are under $100 on EBay, but I am assuming that price also reflects the general level of quality of the display (or maybe that's just the going rate for average CCFL 13.3 LCD screens now.)

I am used to having a 320GB HD now, and I believe the largest for MBA is 120GB? (which is actually not bad) But the Rev. B is a bit out of my reach, and between a nVidia MacBook and a Rev. A MBA, the nVidia MB wins for my needs.

I'll probably just keep this MB as is for awhile, then perhaps look to switch to a refurb or used Rev. B MBA down the line if I still really crave the portability later.

Thanks, Steve

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I do agree that the MacBook LCD's aren't perfect, but I just wonder if people are complaining because they haven't properly calibrated their screens. The default settings for my WhiteBook's LCD were terrible and hazy. After spending some time calibrating the screen, the display is noticeably more crisp and clear.

Snowmang

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah I'd recommend searching for some screen calibrations, I have an nvidia whitebook and I'm satisfied with the screen (where before it was unacceptable).

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I'd recommend searching for some screen calibrations, I have an nvidia whitebook and I'm satisfied with the screen (where before it was unacceptable).

Thanks guys, that's the first thing I will look into when I get the MB.

I think most people assume that it would come with good calibration out of the box, but don't take into account individual screen variation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.