PDA

View Full Version : iBook screen question

gkrykewy
Apr 26, 2004, 10:11 AM
My brand new iBook just arrived (first Apple computer since an Apple IIC in like 1987). Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the build quality and setup process, as I expected to be. I do have just one minor question about the LCD screen however. First, I have no dead pixels (thank God - I hate those). However, I've noticed that certain areas along the bottom of the screen appear to be slightly darker than the rest of the screen. Particularly the bottom right corner. I'm really anal about stuff like this, so I know that it's mostly just me - even if there is a slight issue. It's slight to the point that if I look very closely at the corner, I don't see any discoloration at all. But I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this, whether it is normal, etc.

I also noticed, when playing around with the screen saver, that I get sort of a sparkling effect. For example, pixels that should maybe be a dark orange flash a brighter oranger for a second. This is most noticable in the 'flurry' screen saver, when there are tons of little lit up pixels between the main 'strands.' But I also noticed it in the cosmos screen saver (much less noticable there). I haven't seen this anywhere but in the screen saver, but I don't think it happens on my fiance's G3 Pismo.

Okay, the sparkling thing isn't the fault of the screen. It happens on an external monitor too, so it must be a software thing, a video card thing, or intentional. Sorry for sort-of diagnosing my computer in a public forum here! But maybe it will be of interest to someone else.

Also, I'm happy to report that the 1 GHZ 12 inch g4 is actually 1.07 GHZ, as reported in the 'About this apple' thing.

chasingapple
Apr 27, 2004, 01:35 AM
My brand new iBook just arrived (first Apple computer since an Apple IIC in like 1987). Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the build quality and setup process, as I expected to be. I do have just one minor question about the LCD screen however. First, I have no dead pixels (thank God - I hate those). However, I've noticed that certain areas along the bottom of the screen appear to be slightly darker than the rest of the screen. Particularly the bottom right corner. I'm really anal about stuff like this, so I know that it's mostly just me - even if there is a slight issue. It's slight to the point that if I look very closely at the corner, I don't see any discoloration at all. But I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this, whether it is normal, etc.

I also noticed, when playing around with the screen saver, that I get sort of a sparkling effect. For example, pixels that should maybe be a dark orange flash a brighter oranger for a second. This is most noticable in the 'flurry' screen saver, when there are tons of little lit up pixels between the main 'strands.' But I also noticed it in the cosmos screen saver (much less noticable there). I haven't seen this anywhere but in the screen saver, but I don't think it happens on my fiance's G3 Pismo.

Okay, the sparkling thing isn't the fault of the screen. It happens on an external monitor too, so it must be a software thing, a video card thing, or intentional. Sorry for sort-of diagnosing my computer in a public forum here! But maybe it will be of interest to someone else.

Also, I'm happy to report that the 1 GHZ 12 inch g4 is actually 1.07 GHZ, as reported in the 'About this apple' thing.

My wife just got (1 month ago) the 933mhz 14" iBook, there is no darker areas that I can see and the flurry screensaver has no sparklies either, might want to double check at the apple store or call apple and ask them about it, might be a video problem.

Cheers and enjoy the book!

Mord
Apr 27, 2004, 11:07 AM
my sisters ibook dose not have this

your in your first 30 days so send it back and get annother one if it bugs you that much

gkrykewy
Apr 27, 2004, 03:49 PM
Allright! I'm very happy to report that Apple support somehow solved my problem. What they had me do was start in safe mode (holding shift on startup) to see if the problem was replicated there. It wasn't, so they had me restart in normal mode, but it was gone there too! Their only idea therefore was that it might have been related to something in the temporary files that safe mode cleared out. They really had no idea why it was fixed, and neither do I, but I'm very happy about it. The only negative is that in describing the problem to them, I noticed that 2 of my pixels have apparently died a quite untimely death, which is annoying (but within spec). However, as dead pixels go, these aren't so bad - one is fairly central, but they both show up only as gray on black, which I can live with (until/unless two more show up!).

As an aside, I wasn't expecting much from Apple support based on various horror stories in forums, but the guy I talked to was extremely helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about. Also, he did not have an indecipherable foreign accent, which is always good in tech support. Anyway, in case anyone has the same problem as me with their new iBook, the solution is simply to restart in safe mode once.