Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grayfox

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Australia
Hey all.

I'm curious, i was out looking at headphones today when i noticed the frequency range written on the side of the boxes, so then i got thinking about my own pair of apple headphones (the one that comes with the ipod) so i looked on the internet and i couldn't find what it is. So can anyone out there let me know what it is? that'd be a cool help :)

Oh and would someone please tell me if the frequency range is an important thing to look at when buying headphones? and what is a good range to look for.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I just looked at the Apple store online, and unfortunately there is no frequency range cited.

However, the general frequency range guidelines for any set of speakers are:
First number: Lowest frequency the device is rated to generate. This will indicate how low the bass sounds.
Second number: Highest frequency it is rated to generate. This will indicate how accurately the high/treble frequencies are reproduced.

An average-sounding pair of headphones should have a range of 25 kHz to 20,000 kHz. A good pair should have an even lower bass response: 20 kHz or lower.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
The Apple Headphones are actually not that great...

If I remember correctly, and I don't feel like taking one of my many pairs and cutting it up and throwing to a logic analyzer or oscilloscope, is that a 22Hz to 20kHz.

The other issue is the metal covering. So this actually dampens the upper frequencies, to about 19kHz in worst case.

Grayfox

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Australia
So headphones with a metal opening like the apple ones lessens the quality? So a good pair would be plastic?

Grayfox

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Australia
Does anyone know a site where it has a list of headphones and their specifications and maybe reviews?

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
I just looked at the Apple store online, and unfortunately there is no frequency range cited.

However, the general frequency range guidelines for any set of speakers are:
First number: Lowest frequency the device is rated to generate. This will indicate how low the bass sounds.
Second number: Highest frequency it is rated to generate. This will indicate how accurately the high/treble frequencies are reproduced.

An average-sounding pair of headphones should have a range of 25 kHz to 20,000 kHz. A good pair should have an even lower bass response: 20 kHz or lower.

I can't imagine that the apple earbuds go anywhere below 60-80Hz or so. Also, remember that the average range of human hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz, so headphones (Especially tiny earbuds) would very rarely go any lower than 20Hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.