Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
It seems everytime I open Mail, I get Incoming Messages (4, 8, 20 or 50 of them). Where are they? I have Mail setup with an IMAP server with my university. I do get real messages too. But what are all these others that I never see?

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
You can't view them in Mail.app or you want to look for them on the computer?

The Mailboxes are saved under your User folder, specifically your user library folder.

I don't recommend going there to look at any of the files, because one wrong click or key combo, and you have to redo your entire email setup and potentially lose all of your emails (that's if you don't have them saved on the server).

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Do you have webmail access to that same account? Using mobileme mail, I see the same thing when the Mail client is synchronising from the server after I've been on the web interface all day, which includes all mails in the Sent and Trash folders. So it's "incoming" mail rather than new, received mail.

jtibbitt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Maybe it is some sort of server synchronization. There is a web interface too. It is just weird, because it happens even when there has been no mail activity (sending or receiving).

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
If you connect via IMAP or HTTP(S) it'll happen often. Nothing to worry about. It's because it syncs often. POP only pulls down at intervals you tell it too, or when you hit Get Mail. The other protocols don't do that...

I checked MAIL, and didn't see where you could turn off the display of the syncs; meaning, somehow suppress the notification of the sync running. I'm sure there's a command line hack, etc. for it. I didn't Google it, but can try...

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
You could hide the Mail Activity panel, but then you wouldn't see new mail arriving. You get the mail icon update though. I stopped noticing the activity after a while, so I just leave it displayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.