Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porgys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
checking my emails, macbook sat on table running on battery power no other device plugged in to the machine. the machine crashed then started to smoke and got very hot, i took the machine to a certified apple repair center and they could not do anything because the machine had run out of apple care 2 weeks previous, they recommended that i contacted apple to see if i could get a extended warranty because machines should not just catch fire for a unknown reason. i have spent hours on the phone to apple and have been with out my machine for over 4 weeks now, and counting. while they decide if i can have my warranty extended. has any one else had there macbook catch fire?

macbook white Mac OS X (10.5.6) caught fire!

clyde2801

macrumors 601
1. This is bs. I'd take it to an applestore and raise hell. I'd get on the phone with applecare care until i spoke to every service tech in the building. I'd contact the local and national media and see if they'd do a story on it. Unless you'd done something to it which caused it to do this, this is totally unacceptable. Do you think the battery caused the fire?

2. That being said, always, always, always buy applecare for a portable. When they break they are difficult to repair yourself and prohibitively expensive to have them do anything major.

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
checking my emails, macbook sat on table running on battery power no other device plugged in to the machine. the machine crashed then started to smoke and got very hot, i took the machine to a certified apple repair center and they could not do anything because the machine had run out of apple care 2 weeks previous, they recommended that i contacted apple to see if i could get a extended warranty because machines should not just catch fire for a unknown reason. i have spent hours on the phone to apple and have been with out my machine for over 4 weeks now, and counting. while they decide if i can have my warranty extended. has any one else had there macbook catch fire?

have you got any pics of this? i have the unibody mbp and i mk1 macbook and my power lead caught fire.. luckly apple gave me a new one they should do it for u. worried it might happen to me now... what have apple said?

porgys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009

Attachments

• IMG_8570 apple.jpg
    IMG_8570 apple.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 79

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
If you're near an Apple Store, I would suggest going there. There's almost no way they'll turn you away as it's a safety issue, not a warranty issue. I returned my old MBP powerbrick because the wires were starting to fray (out of warranty) and they immediately replaced it due to it being a safety issue (to keep them out of the courts). They will do the same with you.

porgys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
i'm 60 miles away from a apple store

i have to go through another company which are doing there best to help me out, if i was to take it to apple it would cost me the best part of £45 in fuel and toll roads. apple has received the same photos that i have posted and they are going to get back to me. when that will be i dont know

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

My friend's MBP had a RAM module explode and burn and the Apple Store staff refused to honor the Applecare warranty. He sent to me and I called Apple directly. They were very concerned and sent a box immediately. When it came back we noted they replaced everything inside except the HD.

Cheers,

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
i have to go through another company which are doing there best to help me out, if i was to take it to apple it would cost me the best part of £45 in fuel and toll roads. apple has received the same photos that i have posted and they are going to get back to me. when that will be i dont know

45 pounds in tolls vs, what... 500 pounds for a new Macbook? ::shrug::

porgys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
apple repair center

the computer is in a certified apple repair center, they are dealing with the machine the same as if i took it to a apple store.

but thanks for the post.

i'm still waiting for apple to decide wheather or not they will extend my warrenty,

what do you guys think apple should do in this situation?

garethmob

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
i recon apple should give you one of the new ones. when i had my battery go apple quickly replaced it. and when my powersupply caught fire apple quickly replaced that so they should replace your macbook. maybe even bump u up to one of the newer models persa for you "inconveience" have you got any other apple hardware? which could be effected by the same problem?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Call 1-800-SOS-APPL and explain what happened.

Just be prepared for them to actually investigate your claim.

divyaman

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
my macbook fries too!

i have macbook core duo 1.83 Ghz. the heating problem has greatly affected my laptop usage. i have even sent it to apple workshops and every time they say that problem is fixed but in a couple of days it occurs again. they always take huge fee for their so called "fix".they say that they clean something on thermostat or something and fan starts working again.i have given it to two different apple workshops but they always clean it and avoid to change the fan even when i ask them, they just say that its not required.it gets extremely hot, hangs and even shutdowns on running heavy applications like parallels, ms office and yes specially while using youtube! i tried smcfancontrol and it shows fan speed around 2700rpm temp 85c with youtube on.i tried to increase fan speed with it but it dosent change.And ya, the warranty period is over ;-(
please help.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
If you're near an Apple Store, I would suggest going there. There's almost no way they'll turn you away as it's a safety issue, not a warranty issue. I returned my old MBP powerbrick because the wires were starting to fray (out of warranty) and they immediately replaced it due to it being a safety issue (to keep them out of the courts). They will do the same with you.

this sounds like what's happened to my power brick too:

Maybe this should be in a new thread, but Its sort of related to the OP. Anyway, if the picture isnt very clear, the cable covering seems to have melted off (with browned edges) and the inner cables are exposed. Im worried it could catch fire.

My question is, there is no apple store near me but there is a 3rd party reseller which also has a workshop, are they likely to replace my powerbrick (and presumably pass the bill on to apple?)

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
45 pounds in tolls vs, what... 500 pounds for a new Macbook? ::shrug::

£500 for a new MacBook? I wish... £719 for even the basic MacBook White.

Still, your point is valid, I'd drive to the nearest Apple Store and rain sulphur on the Genius Bar until they gave you a whole new machine. "Just caught fire for no good reason" to a MacBook is like "Just dropped out of the air for no good reason" to a Helicopter... something somewhere must have gone stupidly wrong and it certainly shouldn't have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.