Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I just read rumors that Apple plans a mini version of the iPhone and the iPod touch too.....

Ok. Those are just rumors. :D But at the moment I'm really thinking about buying an iPod touch to listening to music during a loooong flight.

I really like the form factor of the iPod nano but its battery only lasts max. 10 hours. My current iPod nano (1st gen) only lasts for about 4 hours. So I really want an iPod which holds longer but the current iPod touch is a bit too big for my trouser pocket.

So what can I do? I'd be quite unhappy when I buy an iPod touch now when during fall a new mini version or a far better 3rd gen with micro arrives. :confused:

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But there is no point. What would possess you to want LESS capacity on a SMALLER screen?!

The screen would have to be the same resolution as the larger one, making text unreadable. It isn't happening.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
The screen would have to be the same resolution as the larger one, making text unreadable. It isn't happening.

Why not? :confused: I have small hands and good eyes. And that's not because I'm a flimsy woman. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of kids out there who have tiny hands and good eyes as well. :eek:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The iPod touch is already smaller than a Nintendo DSi.

And making the iPod touch smaller wouldn't lower its cost, it would probably increase it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
But there is no point. What would possess you to want LESS capacity on a SMALLER screen?!

Skil, point me to the last time you were right about something you said would never happen with such conviction. Now point me to all the things since then that you've been wrong about. You don't know squat about what there "would have to be".

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I really like the form factor of the iPod nano but its battery only lasts max. 10 hours. My current iPod nano (1st gen) only lasts for about 4 hours. So I really want an iPod which holds longer but the current iPod touch is a bit too big for my trouser pocket.

Battery and power:
Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
Playback time
Music playback time: Up to 24 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 4 hours when fully charged

From http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/specs.html

I believe it - all my iPods have matched up with the advertised battery life. You could also look into replacing the battery in your nano (I've never opened a nano, might be harder than the iPods I've done this on) which would be cheap but I suspect you want to buy something shiny ;) Have to say I don't think there'll be a new iPod touch until Septemberish, even then don't know what it'll be like . . .

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I just read rumors that Apple plans a mini version of the iPhone and the iPod touch too.....

Ok. Those are just rumors. :D But at the moment I'm really thinking about buying an iPod touch to listening to music during a loooong flight.

So what can I do? I'd be quite unhappy when I buy an iPod touch now when during fall a new mini version or a far better 3rd gen with micro arrives. :confused:

Why are all of you newbies posting ridiculous, stupid rumour-threads, either based on fantasy, or month old rumours?

Stop wasting peoples time.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I believe it - all my iPods have matched up with the advertised battery life. You could also look into replacing the battery in your nano (I've never opened a nano, might be harder than the iPods I've done this on) which would be cheap but I suspect you want to buy something shiny ;) Have to say I don't think there'll be a new iPod touch until Septemberish, even then don't know what it'll be like . . .

As far as I know all those batteries won't last longer than ~7 hours for the 1st gen model. And the new iPod nano's don't have the features that would justify an upgrade for me. (I wouldn't use video playback or photos.)

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
It's only a matter of time before Apple splits the iPhone into a family and brings touch screens to the rest of the iPod line.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
It's only a matter of time before Apple splits the iPhone into a family and brings touch screens to the rest of the iPod line.

Hm.... I wouldn't be so sure about that. The click-wheel is very famous. Maybe there won't be any iPod classic anymore, but I think that for the iPod nano the click-wheel will survive in a way.

But that all doesn't bring me further. Should I buy an iPod touch now or should I wait a couple of months and try out a new battery instead? :confused:

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Not for people on MacRumors, the website you're posting this 'news' :)rolleyes:) on.

Edit: Over 4 months ago. And I don't believe this was the first rumour, either.

But one question I do have before it's becoming offtopic. Why are those rumors arising right now again?

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Skil, point me to the last time you were right about something you said would never happen with such conviction. Now point me to all the things since then that you've been wrong about. You don't know squat about what there "would have to be".

I lol'ed at this... made my day haha

Anyway, I don't think the name even sounds right... iPod touch mini... It's like 2 sub iPod's joined to one, not to mention, the mini was dropper ages ago for the nano... Even iPod touch nano sounds stupid... Too much of a mouthful...

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

Hmm I wouldn't be so sure. There are people that don't like touch screens, the glass screens are more easily breakable and a click wheel's easier to use at the gym.

But that all doesn't bring me further. Should I buy an iPod touch now or should I wait a couple of months and try out a new battery instead? :confused:

iPod product cycle is such that all the big changes such as a new smaller iPod Touch traditionally happen around September, in time for the holiday season. Based on that I think you'd be better with a fresh battery and waiting to see if a new Touch gets released, instead of buying the current Touch which you seem to think is too big. If a new tiny Touch is suddenly released then all you'll have wasted is the cost of a battery, which is nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.