PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect to telstra bigpond cable with my new G4 PB ?

Reuven
Apr 26, 2004, 05:40 PM
Would anyone be able to give me a set by set guide to this ?

It would be more then appricated !

Me being all new to a mac & OS X environment I would,nt have a clue.

I will also be going wirless so would this effect the way I set up my internet broadband connection?

Thanks/ Regards,

Reuven

tomf87
Apr 26, 2004, 08:23 PM
Man, seems like this wireless topic with broadband just keeps popping up! :)

Here's the safest and easiest method. Hit a local electronics store and get a wireless broadband router. Looks like you're getting a nice laptop, with Airport Extreme, so get a 802.11g router. Everyone has their preference in brand, but I have had no problems with Linksys, like the WRT54G.

Plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem to the WAN port of the router. It should work right out of the box.

For the wireless, your PB should pick up the wireless signal and ask you if you wish to connect. Confirm it and you should be on the Internet.

Take the time to secure the wireless network as much as you can. You can search the forums for keywords like:

WEP
secure wireless
mac address filter

Enjoy!

Reuven
May 3, 2004, 03:07 AM
Anyone else ?

I really need a setup by setup guide how to set up my internet connect!

Please !!! Help!

encro
May 3, 2004, 06:01 AM
I am unfortunate enough to live in an area where ASDL is still unavailable so I'm not sure as to the actual setup routine. I would guess it's something like connect your Wireless/NAT/Gateway/Router up to your ASDL modem. Turn on DHCP on your router and set your Mac to connect to the router via DHCP. ...but I don't know honestly.

If I choose Telstra I would probably use Jamie Curmi's Launch! application:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/jcurmi/software/mac/launch/index.html

If your on one of the cheap plans ($29.95 etc) be sure you take note of the smallprint details as it can be incredibly expensive when you use up your download limits.

Reuven
May 3, 2004, 03:50 PM
I am unfortunate enough to live in an area where ASDL is still unavailable so I'm not sure as to the actual setup routine. I would guess it's something like connect your Wireless/NAT/Gateway/Router up to your ASDL modem. Turn on DHCP on your router and set your Mac to connect to the router via DHCP. ...but I don't know honestly.

If I choose Telstra I would probably use Jamie Curmi's Launch! application:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/jcurmi/software/mac/launch/index.html

If your on one of the cheap plans ($29.95 etc) be sure you take note of the smallprint details as it can be incredibly expensive when you use up your download limits.

Encro thanks for your help / advise. I already know about launch will install it once I receive my PB.

Cheers,

Reuven