PDA

View Full Version : dog hosed my ibook

phonemonkey
Apr 26, 2004, 07:06 PM
my dog decided that my 5 month old ibook would be a good place to urinate today, so of course when it happened it was on and sleeping and happened directly on the keyboard. when i got back to it, it was not sleeping, it was off, and would not turn back on. I pressed the battery button and one light flashed several times. I plugged in the ac adapter and it flashes red really fast. I removed the battery, keyboard, and adapter and turned it over to let it drain/dry out and went to work. I am at work now for the next 10 hours or so, so what I need to know is when i get home, what are the chances of it working and if it does not work how do i go about trying to get it back up

thanks folks,
phonemonkey

cleo
Apr 26, 2004, 07:30 PM
Heh. Heh heh heh. Hehe. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Turn it upsidedown and let any remaining liqiud drain out. Wait 24 hours before trying to switch it on again. Cross your fingers.

In the future, I'd recommend AppleCare... and obedience training. ;)

phonemonkey
Apr 26, 2004, 07:39 PM
In the future, I'd recommend AppleCare... and obedience training. ;)
it really wasn't his fault, some people I live with didn't let him out. hje got some training though
so I should be okay? I am still in my 1 year hardware period, would this be covered?

latergator116
Apr 26, 2004, 07:42 PM
Sonce you still have your one-year coverage, you can call apple and tell them that the keyboard has stoped working and you would like to get it fixed (don't mention the dog urine though). Best of Luck.

realityisterror
Apr 26, 2004, 07:52 PM
i doubt it will be covered by apple, but if he had gone to obedience school maybe you could so the teacher...

even if it does turn on (doesn't seem likely) it'll smell, so be prepared to spray a lot on it... :(

reality

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 26, 2004, 08:01 PM
Sonce you still have your one-year coverage, you can call apple and tell them that the keyboard has stoped working and you would like to get it fixed (don't mention the dog urine though). Best of Luck.

And if you decide to do this route you might want to "rinse" the keyboard lightly upside down. And then send it in for repair. the smell of urine is a sure sign of "miss: use...

abhishekit
Apr 26, 2004, 08:01 PM
ho ho ho...thats seriously funny dude..
but i m sorry to hear that..but ther are chances that it wd work..i hv spilled beer a lot of times on the keyboard...but i never turn it on then..i first dry it out...n it works atleast till now..
so hope it works fr u man..
:D but i cant stop laughin

latergator116
Apr 26, 2004, 08:12 PM
And if you decide to do this route you might want to "rinse" the keyboard lightly upside down. And then send it in for repair. the smell of urine is a sure sign of "miss: use...

Yeah, you could also spary it with some disinfectent or something like that to get the smell out.

kanker
Apr 26, 2004, 08:37 PM
Sounds like the dog is trying to tell you to spend less time playing with your Apple and more time playing with him/her.

Hope it comes back to life.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 26, 2004, 08:51 PM
Sounds like the dog is trying to tell you to spend less time playing with your Apple and more time playing with him/her.

Having my "Chewey" I know that for sure....

phonemonkey
Apr 27, 2004, 12:22 AM
lot of comedians tonight...
thanks to all of you who were constructive though, wish me luck

baby duck monge
Apr 27, 2004, 01:03 AM
when i read the topic of this thread, this situation is actually what i imagines immediately. though i was shocked when it turned out i was right! anyway, there is a decent chance the machine will live once more, just give it ample time to dry, and be prepared for it to smell for a long time (especially once it heats up).

mactastic
Apr 27, 2004, 10:57 AM
Let us know if it ever starts up again. Luckily my dog only seems interested in trying to lick my laptop.

tjwett
Apr 27, 2004, 11:37 AM
you need to remove the keyboard and let it dry for a few days. if it's still dead then pack it up and go into the Apple Store. tell them it just suddenly died. do NOT mention the dog pee. if you let it dry there is no way for them to tell. they'll probably replace it, or at least fix it for free. with all the trouble they've had with iBooks dropping dead lately they don't even bother trying to prove you wrong or anything. remember, DON'T MENTION THE PEE! Apple Care does not cover pee.

Bandman999
Apr 27, 2004, 12:20 PM
If I recall, Apple doesn't cover Fire, Theft, or Acts of Dog...

rueyeet
Apr 27, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, you could also spary it with some disinfectent or something like that to get the smell out.
Don't spray it with disinfectant! The last thing you need is to put more chemicals in there that don't belong, along with the urine.

If the original mishap didn't actually fry the circuitry, you MIGHT be able to remove the battery and very carefully, clean the iBook's innards out with plain water (depending on where you are, tap water may not qualify). Let it dry thoroughly and then try it out. I'm basing this advice on a post (http://www.palminfocenter.com/graveyard.asp?dead=Y&ID=4) I saw at PalmInfocenter about someone who was able to revive their mud-clogged Palm by taking it apart and cleaning it carefully with a toothbrush.

If that doesn't work, or you'd rather not risk it, I think you're stuck.

when i read the topic of this thread, this situation is actually what i imagines immediately.Yeah, me too: I read the topic and immediately thought "I hope they don't mean 'hosed' like I think they do....." :eek:

Koodauw
Apr 27, 2004, 01:01 PM
Honestly I think it is interesting that you all tell him to take it to Apple and have them try and fix it.

The warranty clearly doesn't cover hosing by dogs. I mean I feel for you, but it is not Apple responsibility to fix it.

I would recemend a new iBook, or look into paying to have it repaired.

phonemonkey
Apr 27, 2004, 06:15 PM
I got home this morning and it is still dead as a doornail. the only sign of life is when I plug my ac adapter in it has a quick red flicker where it is usually orange or green. I live nowhere near an apple store, whereas I am in a rural place. If it doesn't come up in a few days I will open it and try to repair it...hopefully it just shorted out the power and not the board.

tomf87
Apr 27, 2004, 06:40 PM
..Apple Care does not cover pee.

But they will cover poop, as long as it isn't too soft.
:D

rdowns
Apr 27, 2004, 07:08 PM
I got home this morning and it is still dead as a doornail. the only sign of life is when I plug my ac adapter in it has a quick red flicker where it is usually orange or green. I live nowhere near an apple store, whereas I am in a rural place. If it doesn't come up in a few days I will open it and try to repair it...hopefully it just shorted out the power and not the board.

Best of luck getting your PissBook to work again. Might I suggest a PeeC for the dog?

mklos
Apr 27, 2004, 07:28 PM
it really wasn't his fault, some people I live with didn't let him out. hje got some training though
so I should be okay? I am still in my 1 year hardware period, would this be covered?

I doubt that Apple will cover a dog pissing on your iBook. You would get a good laugh from the Apple Care Technicians though. I know this isn't funny, but I laughed my @$$ off when I read this!

phonemonkey
Apr 27, 2004, 07:43 PM
i bet its even funnier when you can imagine me giving him 1500 a few months ago and letting him piss on that instead

baby duck monge
Apr 27, 2004, 07:52 PM
i bet its even funnier when you can imagine me giving him 1500 a few months ago and letting him piss on that instead

that is a pretty funny thing to imagine, yes. especially if you spent that pee-money in shops with unassuming cashiers.

anyway, sorry to hear your 'book is not working. hopefully a few days rest will do it good! if not, best of luck with the cleaning!

abhishekit
Apr 27, 2004, 11:02 PM
Might I suggest a PeeC for the dog?
:D :D

n yeah..n what happnd to the ibook finally...?

phonemonkey
Apr 27, 2004, 11:46 PM
:D :D

n yeah..n what happnd to the ibook finally...?

not sure yet...when I left the house about 8 hours ago for work it did not do anything except that power adapter flashing red. On ER that means a heartbeat but I think this means a dead ibook. And a dead dog. I am giving it a few days before I operate and if it does not come up me, me 30-30, and my dog are going behind the woodshed

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 02:27 AM
…And a dead dog. I am giving it a few days before I operate and if it does not come up me, me 30-30, and my dog are going behind the woodshed

That's what I'm talking about. That's a capital offense. My first thought when I read the thread title was "That dog has to go."

Perhaps a more honest approach to getting it fixed would to take it in to an Apple Store, tell them the whole story, and throw yourself on their mercy. They won't replace it, but they might be willing to help you take it apart and do a thorough cleaning. You'll probably have to pay, but it would be worth it.

But because it was on when your dog made its mark, I question whether it will ever work again. It could have shorted out somewhere. It might have even given your dog an unpleasant jolt. That's a slightly comforting thought. ;)

phonemonkey
Apr 28, 2004, 03:51 AM
That's what I'm talking about. That's a capital offense. My first thought when I read the thread title was "That dog has to go."

Perhaps a more honest approach to getting it fixed would to take it in to an Apple Store, tell them the whole story, and throw yourself on their mercy. They won't replace it, but they might be willing to help you take it apart and do a thorough cleaning. You'll probably have to pay, but it would be worth it.

But because it was on when your dog made its mark, I question whether it will ever work again. It could have shorted out somewhere. It might have even given your dog an unpleasant jolt. That's a slightly comforting thought. ;)

that is a good plan if I didn't have to drive at least a day to the nearest apple store. That bastard is going to work again, even if it isn't in its original form. by the way the thread was called dog hosed my ibook

win_convert
Apr 28, 2004, 07:14 AM
sorry, this might sound silly but - don't put your ibook on the ground with an unsupervised dog?

tomf87
Apr 28, 2004, 07:17 AM
sorry, this might sound silly but - don't put your ibook on the ground with an unsupervised dog?

That's what I was thinking... It's not the dog's fault that someone didn't let him out. I think I saw previously you said someone else forgot to let him out, so I'd take it up with them, not the dog.

PickledSquirrel
Apr 30, 2004, 02:19 PM

Next thing I know, my boyfriend will be pissing on my iMac :D :eek: :D

mactastic
Apr 30, 2004, 02:25 PM
I am giving it a few days before I operate and if it does not come up me, me 30-30, and my dog are going behind the woodshed

It ain't the dog's fault. Sheesh, don't shoot him over it. And if you feel like you must, I'll take the dog. :mad:

Makosuke
Apr 30, 2004, 03:41 PM
Just as a follow up, although this has been discussed in several other "I spilled X in my laptop" posts, the best course of action is to carefully take EVERYTHING apart, rinse it with distilled water (this is important, as the salts in the urine can corrode the circuitry and other metal parts and/or short things--I would've actually done this immediately, since urine is so corrosive), let it dry very thoroughly, put it back together, and hope you're incredibly lucky.

These step-by-step instructions for dismantling an iBook might help:

http://www.bluap.nl/mac/ibookhd.php

phonemonkey
May 1, 2004, 06:32 PM
it now appears that most of the problem is coming from tghe power cupply, seems it may have been shorted out. Took a tester to most of the circuits of the logic board and it doesn't seem that they got shorted and we didn't see any arching. I may need to get a new battery and a new power converter bloc but hopefully that will be it. hopefully this experience will be of some help to someone else. I have also given the dog extended time to live before I see if this baby will come back up.. I'm fairly good with electronics and am confident it will.
phonemonkey

ClimbingTheLog
May 1, 2004, 07:33 PM
With urine you have crystals to contend with, and with dog urine especially you have a fair amount of protein.

Obviously the thing needs a thorough cleaning but the proteins will have bound to a certain extent to the components so mix some Nature's Miracle (from the pet store) in with the wash water. Some peptases shouldn't hurt the components any more than the water will.

And, seriously the dog could have pissed anywhere - he might see the iBook as something that gets the attention he wants/needs.

Oh, and leave us your eBay ID so we know which one to watch out for. :)

phonemonkey
May 1, 2004, 07:36 PM
Oh, and leave us your eBay ID so we know which one to watch out for. :)
i may be a lot of things, but i'm not dishonest. that's why i havent cleaned it and sent it in to apple. opening it up voids the warranty anyways, right?

Sun Baked
May 10, 2004, 08:50 PM
Just a subtle reminder of your pain. :p