Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
My macbook has been the same as always, no water damage no nuthin, and these past 2 months it has been like its on crack or something. I bought 4 gig ram like 3 weeks ago, and my macbook only can handle 3 gigs of it so yeah I am fine with that. But for some odd reason why does my computer use over half the memory when virtually nothing is running? I hear some people say that 'ahh 4 gig is too much, you don't need it' when I think 4 gig is too little for this computer.

Here is a picture of my desktop you can see the temperature and fans and memory and everything blah.

Also in about this computer or w/e it does say 4 gig and it says both ram sticks are ok, so there is nothing wrong there and I installed it fine and checked the screws etc etc.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
You may want to give "iFreeMem" a try. It will optimize your memory at the click of a mouse. I use it whenever a program starts leaking memory.

iFreeMem won't do anything at all.

Sure, it may cause OS X to page out some stuff to disk, but that won't improve performance, and it won't do anything that OS X couldn't do on its own. What it will do is decrease performance by requiring those pages to be paged back in from disk when they're needed -- what would be a relatively fast access from RAM will thus be a relatively slow one from disk.

iFreeMem et. al. are snake oil, plain and simple.

To the OP:

Have you tried taking a look in Activity Monitor to see what processes are soaking up your RAM?

Your fan speeds and temps make me think that you've got some moderate (but not extreme) CPU usage going on, so I'd take a quick look for any runaway processes, buggy JavaScript, etc.

Does the behaviour persist after a restart (with nothing running, etc)?

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
You are not really using all the RAM. The amount listed as inactive is actually ready to be used as soon as it is needed. You can read more in this post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/142719/

Not sure about the freezing, can you be more specific?

Anyway, as the previous poster said, check activity monitor for process that use many CPU cycles (be sure to selct "All processes" from the drop down menu in the activity monitor window).

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
iFreeMem won't do anything at all.

Sure, it may cause OS X to page out some stuff to disk, but that won't improve performance, and it won't do anything that OS X couldn't do on its own. What it will do is decrease performance by requiring those pages to be paged back in from disk when they're needed -- what would be a relatively fast access from RAM will thus be a relatively slow one from disk.

iFreeMem et. al. are snake oil, plain and simple.

To the OP:

Have you tried taking a look in Activity Monitor to see what processes are soaking up your RAM?

Your fan speeds and temps make me think that you've got some moderate (but not extreme) CPU usage going on, so I'd take a quick look for any runaway processes, buggy JavaScript, etc.

Does the behaviour persist after a restart (with nothing running, etc)?

Yeah....I actually now uninstalled norton completely, I honestly don't think I need it at all. My ram is being used just a little bit less, but to me I noticed a moderate performance boost, but still tends to do freeze as in make that rainbow ball thingy alot, should I downgrade to safari 3 or something? If I do how can I like keep all my history and stuff :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.