PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook 1.5 Vs. G5

Penman
Apr 26, 2004, 08:18 PM
I was looking at benchmarks like a geek and noticed something I'd like feedback on.

From what I can see, a single processor G5 running at 1.6 is barely faster than the new 1.5 G4 implimentation. For all the other improvements it seems that the G5's prime advantage (as it's currently used) is clock speed (when it's being used in a single processor configuration).

Could Apple be holding back G5 PB's for a reason not yet mentioned? Speed?

I'm guessing they know that they'll need to run G5 PB's at 2GHz plus to show a real improvement on the G4 machines. Thus all the discussion of 970 power consumption is mute. Slowed down G5's are too slow. They need a mobile chip or another implimentation.

I'm wondering if anyone agrees with what I'm postulating.

My guess would now be that the first G5 PB's run at 2GHz plus - or Apple do something radical with a MP portable (which seems like a very Apple thing to do and would take the time they're obviously spending.)

I'm upgrading from 1GHz rev. A so any speed increase will be good to me regardless of source. With 2 GB Ram, 128 video and 5400 rpm I'm expecting a significant improvement. No 'you wasted your money' comments please ;-)

Bear
Apr 26, 2004, 09:20 PM
I was looking at benchmarks like a geek and noticed something I'd like feedback on.

From what I can see, a single processor G5 running at 1.6 is barely faster than the new 1.5 G4 implimentation. For all the other improvements it seems that the G5's prime advantage (as it's currently used) is clock speed (when it's being used in a single processor configuration).

Could Apple be holding back G5 PB's for a reason not yet mentioned? Speed?

I'm guessing they know that they'll need to run G5 PB's at 2GHz plus to show a real improvement on the G4 machines. Thus all the discussion of 970 power consumption is mute. Slowed down G5's are too slow. They need a mobile chip or another implimentation.

I'm wondering if anyone agrees with what I'm postulating.

My guess would now be that the first G5 PB's run at 2GHz plus - or Apple do something radical with a MP portable (which seems like a very Apple thing to do and would take the time they're obviously spending.)

I'm upgrading from 1GHz rev. A so any speed increase will be good to me regardless of source. With 2 GB Ram, 128 video and 5400 rpm I'm expecting a significant improvement. No 'you wasted your money' comments please ;-)You've hit it spot on. For most things, a G4 and G5 at the same processor speed will not show much performance difference.

As for how much improvement, it depends on what you use the Powerbook for.

Mord
Apr 27, 2004, 10:57 AM
read this thread all you g4 bashers there not that bad

aswitcher
Apr 27, 2004, 03:00 PM
I

I'm upgrading from 1GHz rev. A so any speed increase will be good to me regardless of source. With 2 GB Ram, 128 video and 5400 rpm I'm expecting a significant improvement. No 'you wasted your money' comments please ;-)

Well I am only getting a gig, but yes, I am hoping that the 128VRAM and 5400RPM HDD boost the performance signficantly, onto of the small 1.33 -> 1.5 GHz improvement.