PDA

View Full Version : Trying to access my home network over the internet

macgrl
Apr 29, 2009, 10:37 AM
I am trying to access my home network over the internet. When I enter the public ip address I am asked to put in a password and user name. Is this my isp username and password or my router username and password or something completely different as I have tried both to no avail. My aim is to be able to access a network hard drive that I have attached to my network over the internet, which would be great to access files when I am away from home.

Any advice very much appreciated.:)

macgrl
Apr 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have worked out that it is the password that I set up on the router for the gateway. :) I can now access the router from the internet but know need to figure out how to access a network drive on the network?

Having done a little search through google I have read a few things and am wondering whether I need to set up a vpn connection? Is this the correct / easiest thing to do to be able to access files on my network drive via the internet?

Thanks, it is quite complicated, well to me anyway lol

swiftaw
Apr 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
It depends on what you are trying to do.

I assume that you have a router at home and all your devices are connected to the router either wired or wirelessly.

Your public ip address will get you to the router, to get beyond the router to the devices behind you need to set up port forwarding on your router. Thus, when a signal arrives at the router it knows which device connected to the router the signal should be sent to.

macgrl
Apr 29, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your reply, yes all my devices are attached to the router, wirelessly and wired.

I have used the public ip address to access the router.

Now what I would like to do is to access an external hard drive that is attached to my time capsule.

The time capsule is not the router but is attached to my home network via a wireless connection

I would like to access files - word docs etc on that hard drive from away from home.

How do I set up port forwarding / what ports do I need to forward to.

What can I do if my public ip address keeps changing i.e my ISP hasn't assigned me a static address (apparently it is not common to assign a static address?)

Thank you very much for your help:)

swiftaw
Apr 29, 2009, 02:53 PM
Three things

1. Find the IP address that your time capsule has been assigned by your router. You should be able to get this from airport utility

2. In airport utility turn on file sharing over WAN

3. Go into your router setup, find the port forwarding setup and forward the appropriate ports to the IP address you found in step 1. I'm not sure what the appropriate ports are. Maybe 548.

macgrl
Apr 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thank you for that. I have a problem now that I do not have a static ip address to access the router over the Internet. So without being at home and able to access my router locally to discover the public ip address I can't access the network accross the Internet. Is there a way I can get around not having a static ip address? Or find the ip address of my network away from home?

Thanks so much

twoodcc
Apr 29, 2009, 05:05 PM
Thank you for that. I have a problem now that I do not have a static ip address to access the router over the Internet. So without being at home and able to access my router locally to discover the public ip address I can't access the network accross the Internet. Is there a way I can get around not having a static ip address? Or find the ip address of my network away from home?

Thanks so much

this (http://www.dyndns.com/) is what you need. let us know if you need help with it

macgrl
Apr 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
this (http://www.dyndns.com/) is what you need. let us know if you need help with it

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. Yes I need help. What is it that I need from that service you pointed me too. I am thinking that I need something that will give me a static ip address?

Is there any other way of doing what I want thanusing this kind of service? I don't mind at all just curious

twoodcc
Apr 29, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thank you for that. Much appreciated. Yes I need help. What is it that I need from that service you pointed me too. I am thinking that I need something that will give me a static ip address?

Is there any other way of doing what I want thanusing this kind of service? I don't mind at all just curious

that site has a service for free where you pick a domain name that they have, and give it your dynamic ip address. then, when you go to the domain name that you created, it will go to your computer at home.

example:

let's say you make yours mac.serve.net and your public ip address is 65.38.254.32

when you go to mac.serve.net, it's the same as going to 65.38.254.32

and they have a mac app that will auto sync your ip address to it when your dynamic ip changes, so it's always the right address.

i hope this helps. here (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) is a more appropriate link

lgmac
Apr 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
Go to http://www.logmein.com and set up a free account. You can get to any computer behind any firewall using this service.

I help my parents, (dynamic IP) who are a bit older and have trouble with basic computer skills. I live in Maine and they live in Michigan. I can share their computer screen or take control of their computer. I've run adaware, and installed Quicken for them while I'm miles away. I just ask them to load the cd, and I do the rest, or I download what I need from the Internet.

Anyway.... I've used this for several years now and it works great.

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 12:47 AM
thank you for your replies. I am going to try to set something up today :)

How do you find out which ports you need to open to access a particular machine?

Also what's the catch so to speak why are these free and are they secure ? Thanks

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 06:45 AM
"2. In airport utility turn on file sharing over WAN"

I can't seem to be able to do this! I feel a bit stupid really:)

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 08:48 AM
after reading what you wanted to do again, you might want to take a look here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956)

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that I will have a look later / tomorrow. I have been playing around with it for a few hours and need a break now lol:)

Thank you so much for you input.

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for that I will have a look later / tomorrow. I have been playing around with it for a few hours and need a break now lol:)

Thank you so much for you input.

no problem. let us know if you get stuck :)

GregE
Apr 30, 2009, 09:39 AM
You leave your router running, right? My ISP doesn't give me a static IP address either but my router is always on so it just keeps renewing the address. I should always have my current one as long as everything keeps running. If I have a power outage, then I may end up with a new one but my computer would shut down anyway. When it comes back on I just have to see what the adderss is.

I access my iMac from work PC using VNC over a VPN. I can also access my work PC from my iMac with VNC over the VPN. I haven't tried to access any files this way though. I was looking for a way to control either the PC or iMac remotely. I could always e-mail files back and forth this way. Before I went Mac, I used pcAnywhere and would transfer files thru that. One thing I still want to do is find VPN software for my MacBook Pro to be able to connect to my iMac when I am gone. The free software I found I had trouble connecting to my SonicWall and the pay software was too expensive.

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
I got it too work yeay!! I am sooo happy, that guide was superb. I used the guide that said how to connect to a mac server and not the one on how to connect to a time capsule. This shouldn't matter should it? I mean it works after all. Now my question is how secure is this?

GregE
Apr 30, 2009, 10:36 AM
Click the question mark in the upper right corner and type sharing. Open Sharing and you should see the different services on teh left. Make sure File Sharing is on and high light it. Click the Options button, That's where you will see if the sharing via AFP is on.

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 10:48 AM
I got it too work yeay!! I am sooo happy, that guide was superb. I used the guide that said how to connect to a mac server and not the one on how to connect to a time capsule. This shouldn't matter should it? I mean it works after all. Now my question is how secure is this?

glad you got it! ;)

just make sure you aren't sharing your files with everyone, and you should be okay

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thank you so much for your help.:)

How do I ensure that I am not sharing files with everyone?

Also how would I connect to the server via the internet using a windows pc?

In mac you just go to Finder and click go> go to server

It would be nice if I could do the same with a pc. Is this possible?

Do i need to add the dns update utility that I have added to my macbook pro to each computer I want to access the remote server from?

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 11:36 AM
Now it won't work! :( The ip address from my isp has changed and now it won't connect remotely. I had thought that the DynDns updater that I had download was supposed to sort out any changes in my ip and route it to a static one that they fixed? I have the free service I haven't paid for anything. Do I need too?

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
Now it won't work! :( The ip address from my isp has changed and now it won't connect remotely. I had thought that the DynDns updater that I had download was supposed to sort out any changes in my ip and route it to a static one that they fixed? I have the free service I haven't paid for anything. Do I need too?

now you do have the dyndns updater running on the server on your network, correct?

and you put in your username and password into it? i believe it also comes with a widget, and i like to use that, instead of running the app all the time

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 12:24 PM
now you do have the dyndns updater running on the server on your network, correct?

and you put in your username and password into it? i believe it also comes with a widget, and i like to use that, instead of running the app all the time

No I have the dyndns updater on my Mbp that I use to access the server (my time capsule). I can't see a way of putting the updater on to the tc.

It works again now even though the ip address has changed

How come in the airport utility when I select my time capsule and then the internet option I only an internet connection tab and no others, also I cannot change the connection sharing? It is there but it cannot be changed.

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
I have sorted out a picture of what I mean

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 01:20 PM
No I have the dyndns updater on my Mbp that I use to access the server (my time capsule). I can't see a way of putting the updater on to the tc.

It works again now even though the ip address has changed

How come in the airport utility when I select my time capsule and then the internet option I only an internet connection tab and no others, also I cannot change the connection sharing? It is there but it cannot be changed.

well, for this to work, you have to the updater on some computer on your home network.

but you say it's working now?

i'm not sure about the options for the time capsule, i only have an airport extreme

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
Ok that makes sense and my macbook pro is which has the updater on it is on the home network that the tc is on. So how can I connect to the tc if the macbook pro is not at home. How can I use the tc as a stand alone server and connect to it remotely.

The instructions for how to do this for the mba give good instructions but I am not able to alter the connection sharings under the internet tab of the airport as it doesn't show up - I have posted a picture of it above.

Back to the drawing board me thinks. :)

Thank you for getting back to me.

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
Ok that makes sense and my macbook pro is which has the updater on it is on the home network that the tc is on. So how can I connect to the tc if the macbook pro is not at home. How can I use the tc as a stand alone server and connect to it remotely.

The instructions for how to do this for the mba give good instructions but I am not able to alter the connection sharings under the internet tab of the airport as it doesn't show up - I have posted a picture of it above.

Back to the drawing board me thinks. :)

Thank you for getting back to me.

the way i understand it, you have to have a computer on your network when your IP address changes, to update it on dyndns, or this won't work.

the TC really isn't a server, but more like just an external hard drive really.

I'll try to read thru the tutorial i gave you and see what i can find out

EDIT: Here (http://guides.macrumors.com/Using_Remote_File_Access_to_Save_Disk_Space_on_Your_MacBook_Air) is a direct link to the tutorial. it has a section for time capsule at the bottom. did you follow that already?

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
Thank you, the tutorial says that you can use a tc with an external hard drive attached to it and that you don't then need to have another actual computer on the network as it would seem that you do the way I have done it so far. The problem I have with the tc and the external hard drive is that I cannot seem to change some of the settting that are required - mainly the settings in step 4. I am also unsure on how having as static ip address through dyndns would work? As it seemed to need that updater on a computer on the network in order to find out the dynamic ip address of the isp and change it to a fixed ip address so that you can access the server.

Maybe the free dynamic ip address service mentioned in step 4 would work instead? It is a bit confusing really. I know that my isp changes the public ip address everynow and then, indeed it will change if i unplug my router and plug it back in again.

I know that to access a remote server that I need a static ip address other wise each time the public ip changes I will be unable to access the router over the internet and therefore the server.

:):)

Edited to say that I have been having a look around my router and found a note next to a setting that I can alter

"DDNS Service

If your broadband gateway's Internet IP address is assigned dynamically and you wish to host a Web site or other Internet service, you can sign up with DynDNS.org or TZO.com for Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. Then select your DDNS provider from this list box, enter the required information, and click Apply. The gateway will send its Internet IP address to the provider so the provider can update your DNS entry.

For DynDNS.org service, you must enter a user name, password, and host name. For TZO.com service, you must fill in the correct e-mail address, password, and domain name.

Do you think that this means that I can change this and try to access my server the way I was before but without a computer on the network that has that dyndns utility installed on it? Could this be a similar thing but on the router instead?:D

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 01:56 PM
"DDNS Service

If your broadband gateway's Internet IP address is assigned dynamically and you wish to host a Web site or other Internet service, you can sign up with DynDNS.org or TZO.com for Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. Then select your DDNS provider from this list box, enter the required information, and click Apply. The gateway will send its Internet IP address to the provider so the provider can update your DNS entry.

For DynDNS.org service, you must enter a user name, password, and host name. For TZO.com service, you must fill in the correct e-mail address, password, and domain name.

Do you think that this means that I can change this and try to access my server the way I was before but without a computer on the network that has that dyndns utility installed on it? Could this be a similar thing but on the router instead?:D

try it! it's worth a shot. but that looks like it should work. and you should be set with that

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 02:02 PM
How cool is that that the router has something built in!!! I so hope it works as it would be so easy to use!!! :D

I will get the chance to give it a proper test when I go to my friends house later. I will be off my network and testing it across the internet properly.

Do you know how I can have similar access using a windows pc? Is there a similar finder > go > connect to server and enter info??

I am a bit excited now that it might all be fixed up at last, hope it works or I will be mightily disappointed later lol:)

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 02:04 PM
How cool is that that the router has something built in!!! I so hope it works as it would be so easy to use!!! :D

I will get the chance to give it a proper test when I go to my friends house later. I will be off my network and testing it across the internet properly.

Do you know how I can have similar access using a windows pc? Is there a similar finder > go > connect to server and enter info??

I am a bit excited now that it might all be fixed up at last, hope it works or I will be mightily disappointed later lol:)

let us know if it works. that would be awesome if it does.

i am sure there is a way to do it on a pc, i just can't remember it off the top of my head.

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
I will certainly let you know if it works, thank you so much for the time you have taken to help me, it really is very very much appreciated. I will be sooo happy if this works lol

I deleted the dynsns updater from my mac so that there is no mac on the server that has it attached (other than the settings I have changed on the router).

I then checked what my public ip address was via my router.

I then disconnected the internet connection on the router and reconnected and checked that the public ip address assigned by the isp had changed which it had. I was still able to access my server via finder > go > connect to server

This is making me think that those settings on the router for dyndns are in fact the same thing as you would have with

the updater on an actually computer on the same network as the server.

I still can't explain why I can't change some of the settings via airport

I actually think that this is so going to work. It's main test will be accessing it from another internet connection

Will let you know how that goes.

macgrl
Apr 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
yes, it works, I am able access the time capsule / server from over the internet outside of my house. :D

However one slight problem, the hard drive that I have attached to the tc via the usb doesn't show up. This does show up when I connect to the wireless network at home. I think that I may have to alter some file sharing settings for it to allow me access to the hard drive?

It is a bit confusing as like I said I can access the external hard drive when I am connected to the wireless network at home so surely it should be the same when connected remotely

twoodcc
Apr 30, 2009, 05:48 PM
yes, it works, I am able access the time capsule / server from over the internet outside of my house. :D

However one slight problem, the hard drive that I have attached to the tc via the usb doesn't show up. This does show up when I connect to the wireless network at home. I think that I may have to alter some file sharing settings for it to allow me access to the hard drive?

It is a bit confusing as like I said I can access the external hard drive when I am connected to the wireless network at home so surely it should be the same when connected remotely

i'm glad it works :)

about the external, yeah it might be a setting somewhere. i'm not sure. you'll have to play around with it

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 06:18 AM
I will have a play around with the settings for the external. I am wondering if it had anything to do with the USB external not having it's own power supply? That doesn't seem to matter when I connect via my home network.

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 10:14 AM
I will have a play around with the settings for the external. I am wondering if it had anything to do with the USB external not having it's own power supply? That doesn't seem to matter when I connect via my home network.

i guess it's possible, but i'm not sure.

how exactly does it work on your home network?

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
I started a thread on this in the peripherals section as I was having real problems. When I connect to tc at home the tc shows up as a shared device with the external hard drive attached to it

When i connect remotely the tc show up as a server and no external hard drive is shown. T

There must be a problem due to the server v. shared device difference.

I need the usb external to show up on the server some how:)

I wonder is I should use a port other than 548 which is what I am using at the moment to remotely connect to my tc server

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 11:24 AM
I started a thread on this in the peripherals section as I was having real problems. When I connect to tc at home the tc shows up as a shared device with the external hard drive attached to it

When i connect remotely the tc show up as a server and no external hard drive is shown. T

There must be a problem due to the server v. shared device difference.

I need the usb external to show up on the server some how:)

I wonder is I should use a port other than 548 which is what I am using at the moment to remotely connect to my tc server

hmm. it's hard to say without more information. i can try to look more into it when i'm at home.

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you. To correct myself when accessing the tc remotely it is seen as a shared device not a server in the finder window. It the "kind" column it is described as a sharepoint. Just want to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks for your help.

Also I have tried it with a powered usb external hard drive and this won't show up either.

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you. To correct myself when accessing the tc remotely it is seen as a shared device not a server in the finder window. It the "kind" column it is described as a sharepoint. Just want to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks for your help.

Also I have tried it with a powered usb external hard drive and this won't show up either.

okay. my first question is have you followed the steps in the tutorial for a usb hard drive attached to an airport extreme?

and if so, did you have any trouble with them?

here (http://guides.macrumors.com/Using_Remote_File_Access_to_Save_Disk_Space_on_Your_MacBook_Air)

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 11:40 AM
to be honest I didn't really follow those instructions to the letter as I was unable to change some of the settings it said ( see posts above with pictures)

I also thought that the guide was for those using tc or airport extreme as their router I'm not I have a separate router for my network with tc attached to it wirelessly.

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
to be honest I didn't really follow those instructions to the letter as I was unable to change some of the settings it said ( see posts above with pictures)

I also thought that the guide was for those using tc or airport extreme as their router I'm not I have a separate router for my network with tc attached to it wirelessly.

right. i just want to make sure that you have it set up right for file sharing.

which ports did you forward?

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks for sticking with this and helping. I have forwarded to port 548

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for sticking with this and helping. I have forwarded to port 548

your welcome :)

now, i think in that tutorial, it says something about port 548 as well as one that you choose. take another look at it and see if you did it right. just to check and make sure.

if you did, then this might be an issue with your other router.

macgrl
May 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
I checked and I have opened port 548 on my buffalo router with port forwarding to the ip address of the time capsule. This works when I remotely access as I can access the time capsule and files within it. Just not the usb drive attached to it. Maybe I need to do something to the USB drive to make it recognizable when accessing tc over the Internet :)

twoodcc
May 1, 2009, 09:56 PM
I checked and I have opened port 548 on my buffalo router with port forwarding to the ip address of the time capsule. This works when I remotely access as I can access the time capsule and files within it. Just not the usb drive attached to it. Maybe I need to do something to the USB drive to make it recognizable when accessing tc over the Internet :)

oh ok. did you see the part about choosing another port in the tutorial? it might not be the problem, but it's worth a shot

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 02:15 AM
How do I know what port to chose. So many and they are all for different things LOL

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about this problem when I thought of something that I don't understand.

Ok, I have an ip address through dyndns so that I get a fixed ip address all the time so as to access my router on the internet which has a dynamic ip address from my isp. To make it easier dyndns give an address with letters so lets say mine is mynetwork.network.net. (rather than 11.11.11.11) When I type this into firefox I get to my router homepage after I have typed in my user name and password.

So, to access my server (time capsule) I type in afp://mynetwork.network.net into finder > go > connect to server this connects me to my server.

On my router I have it set so that port 548 is open and forwards to the ip address of the timecapsule.

I also have the dyndns settings set on the router so that a fixed ip address is used.

The question I have is when I enter afp://mynetwork.network.net to connect to the server how does it know to look to port 548 in order to access my server? Port 548 is open and will accept incoming connections but how does the connection I make from the internet know to look to port 548? I have not made any settings anywhere to point it to port 548 unless of course it happens automatically / naturally so to speak. I checked my dyndns account and I haven't told it to look to port 548.

This might help, then again it might not! lol Just thought it best to mention all variables.:):)

twoodcc
May 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
How do I know what port to chose. So many and they are all for different things LOL

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about this problem when I thought of something that I don't understand.

Ok, I have an ip address through dyndns so that I get a fixed ip address all the time so as to access my router on the internet which has a dynamic ip address from my isp. To make it easier dyndns give an address with letters so lets say mine is mynetwork.network.net. (rather than 11.11.11.11) When I type this into firefox I get to my router homepage after I have typed in my user name and password.

So, to access my server (time capsule) I type in afp://mynetwork.network.net into finder > go > connect to server this connects me to my server.

On my router I have it set so that port 548 is open and forwards to the ip address of the timecapsule.

I also have the dyndns settings set on the router so that a fixed ip address is used.

The question I have is when I enter afp://mynetwork.network.net to connect to the server how does it know to look to port 548 in order to access my server? Port 548 is open and will accept incoming connections but how does the connection I make from the internet know to look to port 548? I have not made any settings anywhere to point it to port 548 unless of course it happens automatically / naturally so to speak. I checked my dyndns account and I haven't told it to look to port 548.

This might help, then again it might not! lol Just thought it best to mention all variables.:):)

let me try to clarify this a little bit:

You do not have a static ip address from dyndns. you have a domain name from them. when you go to any domain name, it's like going to their public ip address. so, if you knew your public ip address was 65.65.632.22, and you typed that in instead of your dyndns domain name, it was still work.

but no one can remember all those numbers, so that's why we have domain names.

but your public ip address is always changing. but since you put into your router your dyndns username and stuff, it will update dyndns with your new public ip address when it changes.

so for example: your dyndns domain name is macgrl.podzone.net and your public ip address is 55.55.455.12.

then macgrl.podzone.net = 55.55.455.12. either one would work. and when that number changes, since you have a dynamic ip address, your router will update macgrl.podzone.net to equal what the new ip address is.

does that make sense to you?

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
It does thank you for clarifying that :)

twoodcc
May 2, 2009, 09:24 AM
It does thank you for clarifying that :)

you're welcome ;)

as for the port 548...when you type in afp:// in finder, the default port for that is 548, so it automatically looks for it there for file sharing.

but again, for your problem, i still say to look and be sure you have this setup properly.

Click Advanced (at the top of the dialog box), and then click Port Mapping.
Click the plus sign (+) to add a new port mapping.
In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 5678) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your Time Capsule or AEBS that you wrote down in step 2 (for example, 192.168.0.1). In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, type 548. Click Continue.

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 09:48 AM
No, I couldn't use those settings, the tabs that I needed to click on to go through and alter those settings are there. I am thinking that it is because I am not using tc as a router? I don't know really. see post 24 above

Check your "Connection Sharing" setting under the Internet Tab. The following tutorial is valid if your "Connection Sharing" is to "Share a public IP address", the normal setup for a home network. You will need to have a static IP address, or use a free dynamic DNS service. If you have a different type of "Connection Sharing," you probably don't need a tutorial to set up remote access to your disk; adapt this one as needed.

This is step 2 on the guide and I can't do it

twoodcc
May 2, 2009, 10:13 AM
No, I couldn't use those settings, the tabs that I needed to click on to go through and alter those settings are there. I am thinking that it is because I am not using tc as a router? I don't know really. see post 24 above

Check your "Connection Sharing" setting under the Internet Tab. The following tutorial is valid if your "Connection Sharing" is to "Share a public IP address", the normal setup for a home network. You will need to have a static IP address, or use a free dynamic DNS service. If you have a different type of "Connection Sharing," you probably don't need a tutorial to set up remote access to your disk; adapt this one as needed.

This is step 2 on the guide and I can't do it

oh ok, gotcha. yeah, then it would have to be a setting on your router then. when you setup port forwarding for port 548, did you have public and private ports?

even though i don't think that will solve the problem. i'm not sure how much help i'll be since it sounds like it might be on the other router instead of the tc that is giving you trouble. but i'll try

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
To be honest I don't know. I am away from home at the moment so will check exactly what it is when I get home. What confuses me is that I can access the tc remotely through the port but that the usb won't show up. It is as though something needs to be done to the drive to make it show up. I would have thought that as the drive was attached to the time capsule it would be classed as being part of it.

Thanks for your help. I will post the exact settings when I go home in about 2 hours.

Do you think that using VPN would be a better option? Would this allow me to see the external disk. I don't know much about it. I would think that it would be a case of trial and error.

In many ways I suppose I should be happy that I can access the tc as I can use that as a hard drive to store files on, it is just that I like to make things work / learn new things and it is bugging me that I can't work out how to make that usb drive show up lol :)

Have a nice day. Thanks

twoodcc
May 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
yeah i'm not sure what's going on honestly. i'm not sure why the hard drive isn't showing up either. i mean, it could be a setting somewhere in the tc, but i don't have one, so i'm not sure.

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 10:37 AM
Do you have any ideas of other methods to access servers rather than port forwarding VPN for example? Are there any other ways? :)

macgrl
May 2, 2009, 11:45 AM
when you setup port forwarding for port 548, did you have public and private ports?

No the router doesn't give me the option the only choice I get is regarding the protocol either TCP or UDP. I have it set to "both":)

macman2023
May 2, 2009, 01:07 PM
One thing I would advise is to setup your internal network scheme to use Static IP's so that if anything happen's to your private network the TC won't loose its IP address assignment from your router and bring your whole setup to its knee's. You could do this by individually setting the IP addresses from each device one at a time moving from each one to the next, or by setting up a static table inside of the router causing it to assign the same IP address to the same client device based on the MAC address. If you do this, it would ensure that your TC should always keep the same internal IP on your private network and that the IP assigned to the TC would be less likely to accidentally be assigned to some other machine. If this is something you are interested in let me know and I can help.

twoodcc
May 2, 2009, 03:29 PM
Do you have any ideas of other methods to access servers rather than port forwarding VPN for example? Are there any other ways? :)

i personally do not have experience with VPNs, but you could try it. wouldn't hurt to give it a shot

macgrl
May 5, 2009, 04:58 AM
Thank you so much for all your help. I still can't connect to the external and doubt that I will be able to. I am going to have to have a look at other options to access, such as VPN

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all the help that you have given me.:):)

twoodcc
May 5, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much for all your help. I still can't connect to the external and doubt that I will be able to. I am going to have to have a look at other options to access, such as VPN

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all the help that you have given me.:):)

you are quite welcome :) sorry i couldn't be of more help

thunderclap
May 5, 2009, 09:50 AM
If you don't mind spending a few bucks I recommend ShareTool (http://www.yazsoft.com/st/) by YazSoft. It was easily to setup and you can access virtually anything you want on your home computer over the internet. It's quite handy while on the road. (YazSoft is the company that makes Speed Download.)

macgrl
May 5, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks thunderclap. Is that safe and easy to use? :):)

It says that you need two licences, one for the comp you are accessing from and one for the comp you are accessing?

I just want to be able to access my network and the comps that are on it including tc

GregE
May 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
Sounds like you need another computer at home for it to work. You won't have that, right? Once you are away from home, you will just have your home network with your Time Capsule running on it?

twoodcc
May 5, 2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you need another computer at home for it to work. You won't have that, right? Once you are away from home, you will just have your home network with your Time Capsule running on it?

yes, i believe it would work that way. but the OP stated that they just wanted the tc and attached hard drive

GregE
May 5, 2009, 01:56 PM
That's what I thought. I don't have a Time Capsule but I did some Googling and I saw where somebody said:

Just enabling "File sharing*" is not enough. You must also enable "Share disks over Ethernet WAN port".

This was from a year ago but thought it was worth telling you. Do you see any setting lke that? Since you are coming in thru the WAN port from your router, there may be a setting like this stopping you from accessing the disks where locally you can see them.

Hope this helps.

Greg

thunderclap
May 6, 2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks thunderclap. Is that safe and easy to use? :):)

It says that you need two licences, one for the comp you are accessing from and one for the comp you are accessing?

I just want to be able to access my network and the comps that are on it including tc

It seems pretty secure. When you try to access the other computer you have to enter that systems user name and password. And yes... a license for each computer you want to connect to.

Or you can do what I do: two licenses and use the home computer as your gateway of sorts. :)

As for Time Capsule I'm not sure if that is possible. Haven't tried.

thunderclap
May 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
Come to think of it I think you only need two licenses, because I can access any computer on my home network from my laptop while on the road. I think you just need two licenses: one on your network and one from the computer that you want to connect using.