PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors featured in San Diego newspaper

mms
Apr 26, 2004, 09:49 PM
MacRumors is mentioned several times in the main story for technology section today, for the San Diego Union Tribune. Here's the story:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20040426-9999-mz1b26ipod.html

And I think the poll they're talking about is the MacPolls one here:
http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=258

rainman::|:|
Apr 26, 2004, 09:58 PM
it's about frigging time... i've seen several articles that reference the mac rumormill community, but it's always sites like spymac or macosrumors that get mentioned, even when MR was the first one to have the story.

paul

Rower_CPU
Apr 26, 2004, 10:16 PM
Wow, my local paper covering MR...whodathunkit!

I wonder if Mr. Sidener is a regular...;)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 27, 2004, 09:13 AM
The only thing is that all the press lately for Apple seems to be on the iPod and music....things need to get back on track and more focus on the computers needs to be happening.

But getting the press is great :D

D

applemacdude
Apr 27, 2004, 09:31 AM
Congratulation to the Macrumors community and to Arn for geting to be in a local newspaper :cool:

eyelikeart
Apr 27, 2004, 09:40 AM
Rock on! :D

I'd be willing to bet Mr. Sidener roams around here. ;)

howard
Apr 27, 2004, 10:51 AM
this site has such a sense of community that sometimes i hardly realize just how big it is.

Thom_Edwards
Apr 27, 2004, 12:08 PM
it's been a few weeks, but i heard macrumors mentioned on the screensavers.

CmdrLaForge
Apr 27, 2004, 02:37 PM
it's about frigging time... i've seen several articles that reference the mac rumormill community, but it's always sites like spymac or macosrumors that get mentioned, even when MR was the first one to have the story.

paul

Hhhmmmm. Its quite a while ago that Macrumors posted any rumors from own sources as I remember. They mainly report posts from Appleinsider or Thinksecret. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Rower_CPU
Apr 27, 2004, 02:59 PM
Hhhmmmm. Its quite a while ago that Macrumors posted any rumors from own sources as I remember. They mainly report posts from Appleinsider or Thinksecret. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

These days it seems like most rumor sites get all the same info at the same time from the same source(s). Recent rumors have originated elsewhere, but MR still gets rumors submitted everyday - it's just a matter of whether or not the rumor is new/trustable/etc.

solvs
Apr 27, 2004, 03:27 PM

Tell jimsowden that. ;)

Rower_CPU
Apr 27, 2004, 05:15 PM
Tell jimsowden that. ;)

Not to denigrate jim's great insider info, but I, and most likely CmdrLaForge too, was referring to front page news. Stuff inside the forums is a whole other animal. ;)

Sparky's
Apr 27, 2004, 09:01 PM
this site has such a sense of community that sometimes i hardly realize just how big it is.

Big is too samll a word. I did the survey at the top of the article and wondered when whoever it is reads it and wonders where is 12309 in this nation but then I just helped a woman with a software issue in Australia, and see post from Norway, Britain, Japan, and others.

WE ARE GLOBAL!!!!!

MrMacMan
Apr 27, 2004, 11:28 PM
I was quoting someones post who said 'word' in this thread.

It came up blank as in no quote, so I hit back and the post is gone... :confused:

Anyway its nice to know people get their info from here.

Be proud. :)

voicegy
Apr 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
Ha! My local connections finally paid off! :D

(just kiddin', though I was featured in the UT back in January in a non-Mac related fashion.)

Well, I figured, "Why not?", and I tossed the article's author an e-mail asking how he knew of MacRumors. If he answers, I'll share.

brhmac
Apr 28, 2004, 12:27 AM
I was quoting someones post who said 'word' in this thread.

It came up blank as in no quote, so I hit back and the post is gone... :confused:

Anyway its nice to know people get their info from here.

Be proud. :)

Rower_CPU deletes my posts if they contain anything critical of this site & the lack of rumors it has originated in recent weeks. That's why my comment "is gone." :rolleyes:

My post was meant to echo comments from another post. I think this site is very useful and very informative. I think the quality of the "rumors" is suffering, and I would like to see it improve.

The topic of this board is Macrumors and its rep in the media world. My comments are on-topic and constructive feedback.

Rower_CPU
Apr 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
Rower_CPU deletes my posts if they contain anything critical of this site & the lack of rumors it has originated in recent weeks. That's why my comment "is gone." :rolleyes:

My post was meant to echo comments from another post. I think this site is very useful and very informative. I think the quality of the "rumors" is suffering, and I would like to see it improve.

The topic of this board is Macrumors and its rep in the media world. My comments are on-topic and constructive feedback.

A one word post is spam - if you've got something material to add to the discussion, then do so, but don't just emptily pad your post count. You could have responded to my reply to CmdrLaForge's original question, which gave some insight into what's going on behind the scenes here, but you ignored it and posted what you did (i.e. spam).

I've deleted other spam and off-topic posts of yours in other threads, but implying I'm doing it because of your misguided criticism is inane.

CmdrLaForge
Apr 28, 2004, 02:36 AM
Tell jimsowden that. ;)

Yes indeed. Jimsowden had some infos no other rumor site had. But he posted it in a new thread. Thats something different then front page and I was as Rower_CPU already mentioned refering to front page rumors.

All I wanted to say is that I am seeing a lot of front page stuff that is titled "Appleinsider points..., or Thinksecret says... " and so on.

And I get the impression that the rumor sites get less and less informed over time. E.g. the when the G4 iBook appeared or now the new eMac or iTunes 4.5 (beside jimsowden)

We now knew nothing about new displays, PowerMacs or iMacs. A lot is simple pure speculation and turns out to be nothing.

What about new apps like Appleworks - nothing here for a long time as well. And then on the other side - Motion out of the blue.

As I remember the last really Macrumors news was the name of GarageBand - even so no one had a idea what it is about.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

BTW: The community here is really great. Even without new rumors its definitly the best Mac community site.

brhmac
Apr 28, 2004, 09:21 AM
... implying I'm doing it because of your misguided criticism is inane.

Then why is it that the "Rock on!" post of another moderator is allowed to remain? What value does that statement add to the conversation?

Why is that any forum on a "software update" is allowed to have umpteen "downloading now..." posts?

I can go on, but I don't see the point.

I will say this.... Labeling my criticism "unmerited" and calling me "inane" because you disagree with my opinions strikes me as little more than name-calling.

Mostly, though, it's non-responsive.

If you think this site is posting the quality and quantity of rumors it once did, then PROVE me wrong with examples.

If you're erasing my posts for the reasons you state, then you can say my conclusion is "inaccurate." "Inane," in this case, is non sequitur.

voicegy
Apr 28, 2004, 09:56 AM
Please don't get this post off topic - I want to keep it around in case I get a response from Mr. Sidener. *sigh*

Rower_CPU
Apr 28, 2004, 09:59 AM

If you'd like to discuss this further, do so via PM, rather than continue to take this thread off-topic.

Sparky's
Apr 28, 2004, 11:37 AM
Coming from the other side of the nation, I'm gonna see what I can do about getting a little press time here in New York (up-state). Since my boss sits on the City Chamber of Commerce and PLanning board for his local community, and I have been associated with commercial printing for 30 years, I think I may be able to call in a few markers. It would be nice to get an outsider to visit MacRumors and see what we do and the benefits that arise from it. Folding, SETI, and other beneficial aspects can only bring good press, and I'd like to help get us on the front page.
Sparky :cool:

wdlove
Apr 28, 2004, 11:42 AM
I'm sure that arn must be very proud to have MacRumors mentioned in the San Diego paper. We can all take some credit, it's our contributions to the forum that has got Jonathan Sidener to take a notice.

If Apple focuses on more than iTunes then the media will follow.

mms
Apr 28, 2004, 06:57 PM
Hmm, I just noticed that the article was also on Apple Hot News.
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
"It's All About Accessorizing"

Though I first got the article from my local paper.

voicegy
Apr 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
Dear Mr. Sidener:

As a San Diego native, daily reader of the UT, and years' long member of MacRumors.com, I must say you've caused some excitement over at MacRumors when someone there posted a thread that stated you mentioned our little corner of the world in your story of April 26th.

Are you a regular poster, or friendly "lurker", of MacRumors.com? Of course, this question comes out of pure curiosity on my part, and need not be directly answered at all, as we all respect our privacy.

We were just all tickled to death that MacRumors was mentioned in a major city newspaper!

Thank you!

Respectfully,
Scott

Reply:

Hey Scott,
I'm an occasional lurker at MacRumors, trolling for story ideas. I actually found that MacRumors survey on iPod accessories via Google.

Jon

mms
Apr 28, 2004, 08:49 PM
Cool. It's great that people outside of our immediate community get and appreciate information from this site.

MrMacMan
Apr 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
Neato.

A lurker.

Now MacRumors, make some fake storys quickly.

4th gen iPods next week with 12 inch color screens with Divx playback!

G5 laptops with watercooling at 3.2 GHZ!
G6 PowerMacs soon!

hehe.

virividox
Apr 29, 2004, 06:21 AM
cool! its nice to see our community getting some recognition.

Counterfit
May 2, 2004, 02:40 AM
WE ARE GLOBAL!!!!! You know, it's called the World Wide Web for a reason :p