Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironside82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Hello All,

I have just shipped my Mac Mini to its new home and I've had reports that the panic error is appearing on boot up:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart Button."

This screen appears on the blue window just after the grey apple screen has disappeared and does not get as far as the desktop at the same point each time.

We have tried to reinstall mac OS from the original install disk but holding the "C" Key or the "Option" Key down on restart doesn't boot from disc.

Is there a way you can view the Kernel Panic log before you boot into Mac OS so we can try and pin point the source of this problem.

I'm wondering if this could have been the result of the shipping that has caused some hardware to come loose.

Thanks in advance for your help

James Blackburn

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If this is a new computer, I would just send it back and get a replacement. Wouldn't risk trying to troubleshoot if you indeed have defective hardware.

ironside82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
No this is not a new Mac, its about 2 years old.

How easy is it to work out what the problem is from the verbose display.

James

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
It's not impossible, but I don't think it's going to tell you what you want to know. When I read your post, I see this:

its about 2 years old.

and

shipped my Mac Mini

Strongly suspect bad hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.