Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitzerCR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
So i have an hv30 and 50 tapes on the way to tape a road trip to california.

We are wanting to get both myself and my friend in the shot. I also have a wide angle lense coming.

We are driving a 350z out. I have looked at some suction cup type mounts but i also saw "the pod".

I was thinking of the red pod and sitting it on the dash? It appears there is velcro and you can have a little adjustment. BUT is it same to use for the most part??

Maybe some double sided tape on the bottom too??

Thanks ahead of time for any help. I am really enjoying this community.

Chase

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
After you figure out how to mount I would suggest thinking about as many different types of shots as possible. When you edit I think you will find two or three or four angles confining - so think about all angles and styles for your shooting. Have fun

SpitzerCR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
that second mount looks pretty good..

Let me know how it is ASAP...

The problem with the Z is the "curvature" of the windshield near the sides makes it hard to use suction cups without haveing them to much towards the center of the car.

My HV30 should be here today. Hopefully i can get an idea of where the cam will have to sit to get us both in the shot.

Unfortunetly i dont have the kahuna's to mount the camera on the outside for a 30 hour drive... :)

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
I use a Two Piece Manfrotto Tripod and it holds very well mounted on the front seat floorboard.

I place the front leg as far up to the front as I can and place it in the hole of a piece of brick on the floorboard and with the seat as far back as possible, spread the two back legs as far back and to the side as I can (You need a tripod with three free legs to do this). If you zoom the camera all the way out and ever so slightly tilt it upwards you'll get a nice picture.

It is very steady at freeway speeds, only if you start fast from dead stop will it tilt back some. It holds my old Sony Handycam (MiniDV) just fine, here is a sampling of the finished product.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

These videos were taken from an Acura TL and an Acura MDX.

I've used this setup successfully since 2007 and am looking at upgrading an HV30 within the next month or so.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
ummm have you thought about storage....

50 tapes = around 50 hours.

50 hours of HD footage = around 30gb a tape x 50 = a minimum of 1500GB.

THATS ALOT OF FOOTAGE.

but back to your topic, like said try and find as many unique angles as possible.

SpitzerCR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
Most of the tapes will probably we rewound and reran if nothing good happened in that hour...

with the wide angle lense i have found a couple places the camera can sit and get both driver and passenger in the shot.. but mounting the cam their is gonna be hard....

Im excited about the camera but feel really "noobish" which i am.. at the moment.

RatVega

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Southern California
"Back in the day", we made a mid-December run from Fayetteville, NC to Spokane, WA in a '69 GTO. It took just over 24 hours...

I think you have too much tape ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.