Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Well, I enjoy the iTunes 'random' button, but is it actually random? i have 2gb of sonmgs (not a huge amount, but a godd selection) and it seems to play the same old stuff all the time, makingvery predictable changes of what it will play next (i'm sure it works of some sort of playlist thing). I heard that it actually tries to pick songs that work together, which even if it is true, i do not want as a feature most of the time. Is there any way i can get a genuinly random selection, like in winamp?

secondly, the 'top 25 most played' is also absolute crap. the list it has come up with is just wrong and it gives very conservative 'stats' on how many times a song has been played. basically, i think it lies :mad:

thirdly, am i the only person who spends half an hour before making a post trying to fit it into one of the badly thought out forum sub-sections? :confused:

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've heard that the randomizer in iTunes might be biased, but I haven't seen any evidence. I wrote a script you can use that is definately random, although I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want.

Basically it creates a new playlist and puts a number of random songs in it. You can edit the initial properties to customize it, changing the name of the destination playlist, the source (main library or selected playlist) and whether you are asked how many songs to get or to use the default number.

I've tried to add sufficient error checking to the script, so hopefully it will be informative if there's an error. Also note that when the new playlist is created, if there is already a playlist with that name it is deleted (although this code can be removed easily enough). The script works by generating random numbers and using them to select songs from the source playlist.

To use the script follow these steps:
1. Copy the code below
2. Open /Applications/AppleScript/Script Editor
3. Paste the code
4. Save it as script, in [home]/Library/iTunes/Scripts/. You may need to create the Scripts folder if it isn't there already.
5. You should now be able to run the script from the Scripts menu in iTunes

Code:
property playlist_Name : "Random" --Name of the destination playlist
property random_source : true --Set this to true to use the Library as the source or false to use the selected playlist as the source
property ask_for_number : true --If true, asks for the number of songs to add to the random playlist. If false, it uses the default number
property default_number : "20" --Default number of random songs to get, used if ask_for_number is set to false

tell application "iTunes"
	if ask_for_number is true then
		set {numTracks, button} to {text returned, button returned} of (display dialog "How many random tracks?" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button "OK" default answer default_number)
	else
		set button to "OK"
		set numTracks to default_number
	end if
	if button is equal to "OK" then
		set cont to true
		try
			set theCount to numTracks as integer
			if theCount is less than 1 then
				display dialog "Number must be greater than 0" buttons "OK" default button "OK"
				set cont to false
			end if
		on error
			display dialog "That is not a number" buttons "OK" default button "OK"
			set cont to false
		end try
		if cont then
			if exists playlist playlist_Name then
				delete playlist playlist_Name
			end if
			set randPlay to make new user playlist with properties {name:playlist_Name}
			if random_source is equal to true then
				set theMainPlaylist to playlist "Library"
			else
				set theMainPlaylist to view of browser window 1
			end if
			set theTracks to every track of theMainPlaylist
			if theCount is greater than (count of theTracks) then
				set theCount to count of theTracks
				display dialog "Too many tracks. The script will continue with the maximum number possible" buttons "OK" default button "OK"
			end if
			repeat until theCount is 0
				set newTrackNum to random number from 1 to count of theTracks
				set newTrack to (item newTrackNum of theTracks)
				if not (exists track (name of newTrack) in randPlay) then
					duplicate (item newTrackNum of theTracks) to randPlay
					set theCount to theCount - 1
				end if
			end repeat
			set view of browser window 1 to randPlay
		end if
	end if
end tell

As for playcounts, I doubt that they are wrong. For a song's playcount to be increased the end of the song must be played, so if you change songs half way through its playcount won't change.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
That's excellent and i will be definitely using the script. it will be the first applescript i have used, too :)
that also solves my concern of the top 25 thing, too

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
wowser said:
Well, I enjoy the iTunes 'random' button, but is it actually random? i have 2gb of sonmgs (not a huge amount, but a godd selection) and it seems to play the same old stuff all the time, makingvery predictable changes of what it will play next

yeah, that's just how it is... i've never been able to find a great explanation, other than iTunes tends to favor songs you've rated higher. even so, the iTunes randomizer isn't the greatest. even with small collections, there are songs it will play seemingly all the time, and others it won't play at all.

wowser said:
secondly, the 'top 25 most played' is also absolute crap. the list it has come up with is just wrong and it gives very conservative 'stats' on how many times a song has been played. basically, i think it lies :mad:

iTunes only increments a song's playcount when it plays the very end of a track; if you're doing a lot of skipping and/or fast-forwarding, it may not be counting every play.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
stoid said:
When you click the random button, iTunes generates a shuffled list and plays through the songs in that order. I think that you may have to quit and reopen iTunes if you want it to regenerate the list.

Nope, just Option+Click the random button. It will force it to create a new random list.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Actually, i really like the script - it's good to work with a shuffled selection that you can actually see.

I suppose you could also make a random selection by organising the songs by song name (providing you have the song title in that field rather than the artist)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Does anybody know what that "Copy to Play Order" item is that comes up when you right click on a song? Does it have to do with a queue? If so, that would be cool. It's one feature iTunes currently lacks (as far as I'm aware of), that would be really nice to have.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found out what it does... It just saves that order in which they've been randomly shuffled, so when you turn the random thing off, they stay in that order...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.