Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
I have an airport base station version 2 hooked up to a cable modem. My stepdad wants his WIN98 machine to be online too. We bought an ethernet cable to go out from the base station and into his pc. problem is, he cannont get online. he can only get online if we plug his pc directly into the cable modem. if we go from the modem, to the base station, to his pc, it doesnt work. do they make an ethernet cable that goes from one end to two? that way we could split the conection, with one end going to the airport, and the other end going directly into his pc. where would i buy such a thing, or would i have to make it?

bastardx

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Eugene, OR
Do you have your router and PC set up with an all DHCP configuration?
As in do you have "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)" enabled on your router, and then have the Windows 98 machine with it's IP configuration on "Obtain IP address automatically". Another thing you may want to try, is when you have his computer plugged into your router, to release/renew the IP address using winipcfg. I use my AE base station actually to give addresses to all of my computers, and have it routed through another router, so that I can have more computers wired into the network, and everything works out perfectly. I hope this information is of use to you.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
i honestly don't know my way around windows at all, much less what a DHCP even is. Sorry. Could you make it a little simpler?

bastardx said:
Do you have your router and PC set up with an all DHCP configuration?
As in do you have "Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)" enabled on your router, and then have the Windows 98 machine with it's IP configuration on "Obtain IP address automatically". Another thing you may want to try, is when you have his computer plugged into your router, to release/renew the IP address using winipcfg. I use my AE base station actually to give addresses to all of my computers, and have it routed through another router, so that I can have more computers wired into the network, and everything works out perfectly. I hope this information is of use to you.

bastardx

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Eugene, OR
Sorry, about that.
DHCP is a protocol that allows for client computers to obtain an IP address on the internet dynamically(no numbers have to be entered on your part). In windows 98, this is the default configuration, so as long as nobody in your family changed that, you should be fine, but you will have to do the following, because this is my main assumption, that your dad's machine is thinking it is a member of the public network that belongs to your ISP, as opposed to the private network that is your base station. So go to the start menu, and click on run. When at that prompt, type the following(without quotes) "winipcfg", this is the MS Windows IP Configuration Tool. What you do then, is make sure that the adapter isn't the "PPP adapter" and says something that may vaguely resemble being a network card, like "10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter" is an example. And then when that adapter is selected, and the cable is plugged into the LAN port of your AE base station, click on the "Release" and "Renew" buttons. What this does, is gives his computer a new IP address on your network, and as such, he can communicate with everything that you can, including the modem. Now if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.