Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
I know very well that it is still a beta, but is it me or is Safari 4 pretty inefficient with processor usage?

It seems that the battery on my UMBP doesn't last as long while running Safari 4 as it did with Safari 3. And in Activity Monitor is shows a pretty high percentage of processor usage. Usually around 30-40%.

Is anyone else noticing this?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
im not sure one app can cause such a significant battery reduction. 30-40 is reasonable when loading pages. as long as its not constantly at that level.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
I haven't noticed any huge difference, my Macbook's battery (early 2008) still last around 3:00, whose is the same time as when I used Safari 3. It may be just a illusion, try perfoming the same tasks with Safari 3.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
im not sure one app can cause such a significant battery reduction. 30-40 is reasonable when loading pages. as long as its not constantly at that level.

Usually with 1-2 tabs open with mostly text based pages like these forums (no youtube or highly animated webpages), it is constantly at 30-40%. When I first got my UMBP I could get the full 5 hours of battery and in some cases a little more. But if I unplug my laptop with Safari 4 running and nothing else and display at half brightness it says that I have about 2-2.5 hrs remaining with 100% charge and running on the 9400M.

Ever since I installed Safari 4 I have never gotten more that 3.5 hrs of battery life, and like I said I used to get the full 5 hrs.

And its not my battery it still has a max capacity of 4600 maH which is 100% health and it only has 17 cycles on it in 3 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.