PDA

View Full Version : MiniDV Camcorders, need advice

hulugu
Apr 27, 2004, 01:02 AM
I'm going to be working for a group at my university who wants to record poets as they read their work and I'm wondering if someone in this illustrious group has used MiniDV camcorders and if they have any advice to give or cameras to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

hvfsl
Apr 27, 2004, 05:12 AM
I recommend the Sony TRV 22E. It is very good low light conditions and has Analogue in/out so you can do stuff like record programs off your TV and put them on your Mac.

caveman_uk
Apr 27, 2004, 05:59 AM
I've just ordered one. After quite a bit of research I went for a Panasonic NV-GS120 which is a 3 CCD machine. It's quite reasonably priced in the US but sadly we're getting screwed somewhat in the UK. From what I read in various reviews the Canon camcorders still have great lenses but also still suffer from picking up drive noise with the on-board microphone. Apparently the new Canons don't have mic-in sockets either so you're stuck with the dodgy on-board mic. The Sony camcorders are fine, very compact etc but camcorderinfo.com didn't rate the HC40 very highly - in fact they said the Panasonic camcorder was better than it in nearly every way - apart from the Sony has a better LCD and image stabilisation. The budget Sony HC20 is a good price though and although loses a few features, still has the basic core features you'd need.

hotwire132002
Apr 27, 2004, 07:27 AM
I'm going to be working for a group at my university who wants to record poets as they read their work and I'm wondering if someone in this illustrious group has used MiniDV camcorders and if they have any advice to give or cameras to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I love the Canon ZR60. My only problem with it is bad low-light pickup.