PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks are 1.064Ghz

digitalrampage
Apr 27, 2004, 06:26 AM
FYI - Im a Service Manager down in OZ.. I was working on a 12" G4 ibook over the weekend, and strangely the Stickers in the machine on the logic board and under the keyboard actually state:

1064Mhz

As the speed! (not bad hey?)

Has anyone else found a higher then stated value on there new ibooks or powerbooks?

oingoboingo
Apr 27, 2004, 06:43 AM
FYI - Im a Service Manager down in OZ.. I was working on a 12" G4 ibook over the weekend, and strangely the Stickers in the machine on the logic board and under the keyboard actually state:

1064Mhz

As the speed! (not bad hey?)

Has anyone else found a higher then stated value on there new ibooks or powerbooks?

What does the 'About This Mac' dialog box or the System Profiler say?

rosalindavenue
Apr 27, 2004, 07:11 AM
What problems, if any, are you seeing in the 12" ibooks (I'm a potential buyer)...

Bear
Apr 27, 2004, 07:21 AM
With 133MHz and 167MHz buses, it's real difficult to get bus frequency times the clock multipler to come out to an even number.Bus Multp SysClk
133 8 1.064GHz - 1 GHz iBook
133 9 1.197GHz - Might be 1.2GHz iBook
133 9.5 1.263GHz - Other choice for 1.2GHz iBook
167 8 1.336GHz - 1.33GHz PB
167 9 1.503MHz - 1.5GHz PB* The above table is for the current generation iBooks and Powerbooks of course.

Of course with the current G5 Powermacs having a bus multiplier of 2, it's easy for the clock speed to come out even.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
that is only 6.4 % faster, not something you'll likely notice :D

And what about the 14" iBook....

D

digitalrampage
Apr 27, 2004, 05:10 PM
What problems, if any, are you seeing in the 12" ibooks (I'm a potential buyer)...

The g4 ibooks have been quite good, main problems are

a) Logic board (still uncommon, but its been happening)
b) Broken keys on keyboard (seems that new white plastic isnt as strong)
c) Busted combo drives (mainly kids jamming two disks in at a time forgetting they already had a disk in there)
d) Trackpad issues - Jumping all over the place - Probably the most uncommon thing we have seen in comparison to old iBooks.

The new iBook g4s are much better then there g3 counter parts dont get me wrong, apple at least punched into the EMI shields now what screws go where, which makes life so much easier!

stevehaslip
May 5, 2004, 12:55 PM
some people said that the rev a ibook g4s suffered from loose casing on the front left of the unit. i think it was thought to be down to continuous expansion and contraction. have they improved the overall fit and finish on the rev b ibooks? other (some say) non issues like uneven keyboards? just wondering if apple has tightened their quality control issues?