sparky76
Apr 27, 2004, 07:18 AM
MS's XBox 2 looks a bit tasty....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/27/xbox_2_architecture/

http://bbs.gzeasy.com/index.php?showtopic=149175

3 cores at 3.5 GHz. Hmmmm.

bux
Apr 27, 2004, 07:33 AM
hmmm... I wonder how expensive it will be :)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 27, 2004, 07:37 AM
hmmm... I wonder how expensive it will be :)

it will have to be relatively cheep - no more than $299 if that. They need to stay competitive.

Now, as for the IBM PPC (Power5 derivative) - how long before we see one of those in a Mac? :D

D

MorganX
Apr 27, 2004, 07:58 AM
it will have to be relatively cheep - no more than $299 if that. They need to stay competitive.

Now, as for the IBM PPC (Power5 derivative) - how long before we see one of those in a Mac? :D

D

I'm thinking $149 without a Hard Drive or the PS3 will eat it's lunch. I think they'll probably start at $199-179 with Xbox 1 being $99 by end of year, till inventory is done (they won't continue to make them).

This really makes the rumor of the HD for Xbox 2 being a dockable MP3 player which will be sold at a loss. MS recently patented a method for storing game data on a HD with other data.

Even more interesting, I just finished playing with Xbox Media Center. Sweet. It was ported to the PC in not time. How easy will it be to port Xbox Media Center PPC to Mac? And will the NT PPC Kernel be the beginnings of Longhorn for the new open PPC market?

1macker1
Apr 27, 2004, 08:41 AM
Which IBM PPC chip is at 3Ghz?

stoid
Apr 27, 2004, 09:00 AM
3 CPUs? Why 3? Why not 2 or 4?

spud
Apr 27, 2004, 10:43 AM
This really makes the rumor of the HD for Xbox 2 being a dockable MP3 player which will be sold at a loss. MS recently patented a method for storing game data on a HD with other data.

If this is true, and the iPod wants to survive, then somebody better make an "Xbox adaptor" for the ipod, 'cause you can be sure the M$ interface won't be firewire. it would be really nice to be able to store game data on an ipod...

benpatient
Apr 27, 2004, 11:49 AM
some observations:

this design schematic is wishful thinking unless MS has decided to delay the XBox 2 until 2010 or sometime similar.

3 separate 3.5ghz (potentially multi-core) 65nm 64 bit RISC processors?

that's 2 grand, best case, one year from now, in bulk.

add to that a 4x0 ATI chip that will need to be able to keep up with those processors...count on it being 200+ dollars to manufacture the graphics structure alone.

add a hard drive

and networking

and a case

and a motherboard

and everything else....you're looking at something that, if it were even possible today, would cost probably 5,000 dollars.

Now, i know that when you take a loss on a product (like the xbox or the ps2 or the gc are all doing now), that you can make up for that with software sales, but i don't care how good their yields are on these chips (if the 90nm are any indication, they won't be very high), there's not a chance in hades of this machine coming out as stated before 2006 for under 500 dollars. Not a single shred of hope.

I'm not saying we won't be seeing a new xbox soon...i'm just saying that it won't have 3 64bit, 65nm 3.5ghz processors in it. unless they decide to charge 2,000 dollars or more for it. Which they won't.