Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MCV reports that Richard Teversham, Microsoft's senior director of business, insights and strategy for Xbox, is departing the company to take a position at Apple. Teversham reportedly will take on an "education-related" role in Apple's European office. Focused on EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), Teversham had been at Microsoft for the past 15 years and worked on business aspects of Xbox since its launch in 2002.
Teversham had worked at Microsoft for over 15 years. He held the role of Xbox director for platform and marketing between 2005 and 2007 before becoming strategy boss.

A Microsoft spokesperson told MCV this week: "We can confirm that Richard Teversham, director of business, insights and strategy, has taken a new opportunity outside of Microsoft. A process is underway for recruiting his replacement."
While Teversham's role at Apple remains unclear, the addition of a significant player in Microsoft's international strategy and marketing for Xbox suggests the possibility of Apple further increasing its efforts in the gaming industry. In particular, Apple has been positioning the iPod touch as a gaming platform in much of its promotional material.

Article Link: Microsoft Xbox Strategy and Marketing Executive to Join Apple?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I suppose we better start taking Apple seriously when there is implications that they are eyeing up the game's industry.

Apple is expanding rapidly these days, and in 5-10 years it wouldn't surprise me if Apple overtook Microsoft in market share and dominated in the computer world. One piece at a time, it is like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Hiring so many key players in the game.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Let's hope this isn't the guy that came up with the "Red Ring of Death" repair strategy (instead of halting production, we will just fix them when they break).

On a serious note, good for Apple for recruiting what appears to be some top talent. Ten or eleven years ago this probally wouldn't have happened. They were losing talent left and right.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Is Apple trying to relive the 1990's? I know we have a democratic President, but damn...

Pippin
Pippinfront.jpg

Newton (See 10" tablet rumors.)
Apple_Newton_MP100.jpg

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
Is it just me

Or doesn't it seem like video games are going into a downturn? I see the "gamer" crowd still into them, but young people don't seem as drawn to them as in the past. The whole industry seems sort of old fashioned to my eyes.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Now I can see Apple going a long way with gaming. What the next generation iPod Touch and iPhone need now is more memory and an even better graphics card. I can't wait to see what happens in the future.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Or doesn't it seem like video games are going into a downturn? I see the "gamer" crowd still into them, but young people don't seem as drawn to them as in the past. The whole industry seems sort of old fashioned to my eyes.

Haha... right. Go check the sales of the PS3, Wii and Xbox.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
This new guy is "Like a rat deserting a sinking ship" here to be honest. Tat how I see it:D

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
This new guy is "Like a rat deserting a sinking ship" here to be honest. Tat how I see it:D

Absolute nonsense.

Apple hiring an executive from the company it copied to generate the App Store idea? Hmmmm..

Remember, Microsoft did XNA before Apple did App Store.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Absolute nonsense.

Apple hiring an executive from the company it copied to generate the App Store idea? Hmmmm..

So Apple copied the App store from Microsoft, that's something new. :rolleyes:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I enjoy fieldrunners as much as the next guy - but apple should remain honest with their iphone/iPod touch platform. Unless they really beef up the specs for the devs to create profoundly beautiful and intuitive software - it'll remain an mp3 player that can run simple games.

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Absolute nonsense.

Um, yeah because they are soo similar...

Charliekid21

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
neiltc im sorry, I don't post here often. But for the past few months on posts I read comments on I always see you bitching about apple. Why are you on MACRUMORS if you obviously hate Apple? I am sure there are websites that you can bitch about Apple as much as you'd like but it gets anoying as **** here.

Also I hope if Apple makes another gaming system that they could keep the Apple feel to it. Make it like a cover flow basis but give it power. Almost like an apple T.V. but greater.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Um...no. Remember Pippin?:rolleyes: Unless this suit has a lot of pull with game developers, I see this going nowhere. Most iPhone/iPod Touch games I've seen leave much to be desired.

Compared to what? A PS3 running Call of Duty 17 or something?

And I wish people would drop the lame Pippin references, they're getting boring.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Um...no. Remember Pippin?:rolleyes: Unless this suit has a lot of pull with game developers, I see this going nowhere. Most iPhone/iPod Touch games I've seen leave much to be desired.

How about taking a look at who Apple is hiring..? They are getting together a really skilled team.

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Haha at least Microsoft didn't try to pull a non-compete.. :D

Me thinks Apple just wants to get rid of the "Mac gamer's don't exist" label :rolleyes: (even if it is on the iPod)

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008

You might as well whine about how Apple stole the whole 'store' concept from Amazon. Or complain that iTunes is a rip-off of Windows Media Player or something equally nonsensical. Or that Apple is copying other companies by making a smartphone. You're missing the ingredient that makes products like the iPhone, iTunes, and the App Store so successful, and you're also overgeneralizing to the point that your argument doesn't hold water anyway.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
I certainly hope Apple is planning more than just using the ipod as a gaming platform - the ipod is not a good gaming device imho but I guess I fall into the hardcore console loving crowd. The touch screen just deosnt do it for me, I prefer my wii mote, gameboy, PS3 controller, or xbox controller.

brunt

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
I certainly hope Apple is planning more than just using the ipod as a gaming platform - the ipod is not a good gaming device imho but I guess I fall into the hardcore console loving crowd. The touch screen just deosnt do it for me, I prefer my wii mote, gameboy, PS3 controller, or xbox controller.

The thing about the Wii-mote is its Bluetooth, and so is the iphone... If apple gave the iphone a HD out... you could use the iphone as the console, and have 4 (or more) gamepads connected to it.

Just imagine having wii quality graphics (thanks to the AMD guys and PA Semi) on a device you can take anywhere, and also use as a portable games console/phone.

Apple could use this new gaming market as leverage, to get huge game companies like EA (and dare I say Crytek), to make AAA PC games work for Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.