PDA

View Full Version : DEAD PIXELS!!!!!

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 10:49 AM
I opened my new powerbook 15 1.5 only to discover a white pixel in the lower left side of the screen. This will drive me nuts and kill my resale value! Anyone know how to fix it?

tomf87
Apr 27, 2004, 10:52 AM
Are you a switcher?

Mord
Apr 27, 2004, 11:04 AM
fact of life: you will get dead pixels

your in your first 30 days so you can return it for no reason and try your luck again

switchingGeek
Apr 27, 2004, 12:03 PM
I opened my new powerbook 15 1.5 only to discover a white pixel in the lower left side of the screen. This will drive me nuts and kill my resale value! Anyone know how to fix it?
Try massaging it. It worked for me, I had a stuck red pixel. I don't know if it works on a dead pixel.

Method: Hold front of screen with some soft cloth (lens cleaning type), and hold back of screen firmly with other hand, near the dead pixel. Then 'massage' the dead pixel on the front of the screen. It might go 'away'. Mine came back a few times after that, but right now it's been gone for a couple of months I think.

Best of luck!!

sushi
Apr 27, 2004, 12:54 PM
Delima.

I have a Ai15 PB. The screen is perfect. All pixels good. However, the screen has whie spots.

Can't decide to get the display replaced or just live with what I have. I would really hate to have a dead pixel!

Then again, white spots suck.

Sushi

Giaguara
Apr 27, 2004, 01:17 PM
White spots are a different thing that dead pixels.

Do the white spot(s) you have repeat partly the colors though? Most do.

wdlove
Apr 27, 2004, 02:27 PM
My wife's iBook had a black dead pixel and massaging cleared up the problem. :)

Counterfit
Apr 27, 2004, 02:45 PM
Try massaging it. It worked for me, I had a stuck red pixel. I don't know if it works on a dead pixel. Hmm, wouldn't a dead pixel be black instead of white?

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 06:29 PM
On closer exam the pixel is red. I was on the phone with Apple for two hours and they state their policy for "pixel Anomalies" allows for 1-2 malfunctioning pixels and it is impossible for them to guarentee all displays. In short I am out of luck. Also because the PBook was ordered with the 128 meg video upgrade they state I can not exchange or return the unit because it was special ordered. I'm speechless!!! :( :mad:

7on
Apr 27, 2004, 06:32 PM
My "stuck" pixel went away in a couple of weeks.

tomf87
Apr 27, 2004, 06:35 PM
..Also because the PBook was ordered with the 128 meg video upgrade they state I can not exchange or return the unit because it was special ordered. I'm speechless!!! :( :mad:

That's ridiculous! I can't imagine they wouldn't accept an exchange or return on a BTO product. I mean, they just built the thing.

Maybe they would accept an exchange or return if something else was wrong, besides one stuck pixel.

At any rate, I've had one stuck pixel on my PB and I never notice it. I guess I just got used to it.

kidA
Apr 27, 2004, 06:58 PM
this is a fact of life with lcds. no manufacturer i've heard of will replace a unit for one malfunctioning pixel on the periphery of the screen. not dell, not sony, not abs, not voodoo, not alienware. those higher end companies do offer a stuck pixel policy where they will replace it for anything, but that policy costs like $200 or $300 on top of a $3500 computer.

if it's red and not white or black, you should be in luck though. seriously try the massaging thing. it really does usually work. it's not just a computer tale. if it's red or pink, it's not 'dead', it's just stuck on that color. the massaging can 'unstick' it.

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 07:01 PM
Just kidding. I will try to massage the screen. I pray it will work. It gives me hope to see people have had positive results with the massage, or with time alone. Thanks for the advice.

RBMaraman
Apr 27, 2004, 07:02 PM
That's ridiculous! I can't imagine they wouldn't accept an exchange or return on a BTO product. I mean, they just built the thing.

Maybe they would accept an exchange or return if something else was wrong, besides one stuck pixel.

At any rate, I've had one stuck pixel on my PB and I never notice it. I guess I just got used to it.

It's always been Apple's policy to deny returns and exchanges for BTO's.

Try the massaging technique. It works surprisingly well.

Krizoitz
Apr 27, 2004, 07:07 PM
On closer exam the pixel is red. I was on the phone with Apple for two hours and they state their policy for "pixel Anomalies" allows for 1-2 malfunctioning pixels and it is impossible for them to guarentee all displays. In short I am out of luck. Also because the PBook was ordered with the 128 meg video upgrade they state I can not exchange or return the unit because it was special ordered. I'm speechless!!! :( :mad:

While I can't speak to Apple's policy regarding BTO, I do know that pixel anomaly policies are like that for all companies. It would be next to impossible to only use displays that turned out perfectly, and the cost of LCD's would go through the roof.

I have an even stranger one for you all. On the upper right edge of my display is a string of pixels, going down vertically that aren't dead, but are bright. They show color, but its like its had the contrast jacked way up. Since its on the edge and I only notice it when the screen goes all black I don't think much of it, but kinda odd, i'd never heard of it before.

Dippo
Apr 27, 2004, 07:07 PM
My LCD monitor (not Apple) has a couple of "stuck-on" pixels.

Personally I don't notice them unless the screen is all black or all white.

Companies can't "throw out" every LCD that has a dead pixel because then no one would able to afford them.

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 07:13 PM
I can understand wanting to keep a computer cost effective, but I would think that after spending nearly $2700 bucks for a computer one should expect a glitch free display. I could ( not that I would, I love Apples ) get 2 or 3 PC notebooks with clean displays for the same cost.

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 07:15 PM
I bet Steve Jobs does not have any pixel anomalies

powerbook4me
Apr 27, 2004, 07:16 PM
this is a fact of life with lcds. no manufacturer i've heard of will replace a unit for one malfunctioning pixel on the periphery of the screen. not dell, not sony, not abs, not voodoo, not alienware. those higher end companies do offer a stuck pixel policy where they will replace it for anything, but that policy costs like $200 or $300 on top of a $3500 computer.

Hopefully someone has the link(because I dont) but there is a company that offers the policy for $50 and were talking computers that start at $999.

stoid
Apr 27, 2004, 07:17 PM
I bet Steve Jobs does not have any pixel anomalies

When you are as rich as Steve you can afford to throw out 2K+ devices until you get one that is free of miniscule imperfection too.

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 07:27 PM
Are you a switcher?
I am not a switcher, and have actually been a huge Apple fan. I led our office to switching from Dell to Apple computers. I love so much of what they do. The fact I enjoy Apple and their technology so much makes the red pixel hurt so much more. It is difficult to passionately and whole heartedly back a company that is indifferent about shipping a $2500 computer out with red malfuntioning pixels :(

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 07:29 PM
None of the computers at Macworld SF 2004 had dead pixels

mklos
Apr 27, 2004, 07:43 PM
None of the computers at Macworld SF 2004 had dead pixels

Any LCD can get a dead or stuck pixel. Hell it can come out of the box with a stuck or dead pixel. This happens on ALL LCDs screens, not just Apple screens. Yes it even happens on those $2000 Apple Cinema Displays. You just happened to get a display with a dead or stuck pixel. If the rubbing technique doesn't work then your pretty much SOL. I've gotten a couple of stuck pixels in my flat panel iMac and the rubbing technique took all of them out.

Apple or Dell or any other company cannot control whether or not a pixel on an LCD screen gets stuck or dead...its just one of the disadvantages of having an LCD screen.

Cooknn
Apr 27, 2004, 08:29 PM
I am not a switcher, and have actually been a huge Apple fan. I led our office to switching from Dell to Apple computers. I love so much of what they do. The fact I enjoy Apple and their technology so much makes the red pixel hurt so much more. It is difficult to passionately and whole heartedly back a company that is indifferent about shipping a $2500 computer out with red malfuntioning pixels :(I've purchased half a dozen LCD displays from Dell ranging from 15" to 20". Never one pixel anomaly. Nothing stuck or dead. I type this on my G5 Dual 2Ghz and my Viewsonic P225fb CRT. I tried twice to get a good 20" Cinema display from Apple that had no problems. To no avail. Both tries (from Best Buy for their no questions asked return policy) had multiple dead pixels as well as stuck red and green pixels. Say what you want - there's a QC problem at Apple - or they're just saving $$ by ignoring the problem...

Apple of my eye
Apr 27, 2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks to everyone!!! The massage works!!! The stuck pixel is gone!!!

jane doe
Apr 27, 2004, 09:17 PM
Say what you want - there's a QC problem at Apple - or they're just saving $$ by ignoring the problem...

This is good stuff!!!.... got any more??? :)

why is it every time someone has something that does not work from Apple it's a QC problem? Do you have any idea what the rate of failure really is? if there was a problem this board would be alive with people talking about how they're switching to Dell.

I think you may have had bad luck with two displays but I would not say there is a QC or any other problem.

:)

PowerMacMan
Apr 27, 2004, 09:26 PM
I had a computer w/ dead pixels once, infact 3 dead pixels, and it annoyed the hell out of me until I got used to it and never noticed it again...

You'll get used to it!

sushi
Apr 28, 2004, 02:37 AM
White spots are a different thing that dead pixels.
I realize that. I've had laptops with dead pixels before. Bugged ths sh_t out of me.

I can live with the white spots. However, if I get the screen replaced and the new one has dead pixels, it would bug me.

Do the white spot(s) you have repeat partly the colors though? Most do.
Not sure I understand what you are asking.

As far as I can tell, all colors look normal other than the effect from the white spots.

But since my display seems to be gettting more white spots, I will probably go the route of getting a new one and hope that all pixels are good.

Sushi

Toreador93
Apr 28, 2004, 03:09 AM
Hopefully someone has the link(because I dont) but there is a company that offers the policy for $50 and were talking computers that start at $999.

Well, these companies don't have computers for $999, but they are similar in price to the powerbooks.

Hypersonic PC (http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com/scripts/custom_sys.asp?sysid=Aviator_CX6)

The following has a FREE GUARANTEE. Its price is high, but that's what you get with a boutique company.
Falcon NW (http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbook.asp)

Sushi: Those white spots are a flaw. It's under warranty to get it fixed. Advisable if you ever think about selling it.

In addition, stuck/dead pixels can sometimes be rubbed out. I've seen this in most cases. Knowing the nature of LCDs, this makes sense.
How Stuff Works: LCDs (http://www.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm)

tomf87
Apr 28, 2004, 07:08 AM
I am not a switcher, and have actually been a huge Apple fan. I led our office to switching from Dell to Apple computers. I love so much of what they do. The fact I enjoy Apple and their technology so much makes the red pixel hurt so much more. It is difficult to passionately and whole heartedly back a company that is indifferent about shipping a $2500 computer out with red malfuntioning pixels :(

Understood... Whenever someone mentions resale value of an Apple computer, I am curious if they are a switcher. It seems that mainly PC people worry about the resale value as Apple fans usually keep their system long enough that resale is out of thew question.

Glad to hear the massaging worked! I tried it on mine several times and it won't go away... Oh well. I'm just thankful that my employer lets me use a Mac in our Windows-heavy environment.

sushi
Apr 28, 2004, 10:31 AM
Sushi: Those white spots are a flaw. It's under warranty to get it fixed. Advisable if you ever think about selling it.[/URL]
Yeah, probably a good idea -- especially since it looks like some spots are growing and new ones are showing.

I just hope that I don't get a replacement with a dead pixel or two.

Thanks!

Sushi

Brundlefly
Apr 28, 2004, 12:05 PM
Samsung Monitors have a 1 bad pixel return policy, I think they are the only one though.

applemacdude
Apr 28, 2004, 02:37 PM

Congratulations!

PowerMacMan
Apr 28, 2004, 02:49 PM
Congratulations!

Yay! :)

spitfirejd
Apr 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
I was given a Powerbook G3 Lombard that has a thin red line that runs vertically down the screen. Is this like stuck pixels or a bad screen?

tomf87
Apr 28, 2004, 08:14 PM
I was given a Powerbook G3 Lombard that has a thin red line that runs vertically down the screen. Is this like stuck pixels or a bad screen?

That sounds like the screen is bad or the cable going to the screen has come loose. If it was given to you, you can disassemble it to find out without risking anything.

idkew
Apr 28, 2004, 09:05 PM
I can understand wanting to keep a computer cost effective, but I would think that after spending nearly $2700 bucks for a computer one should expect a glitch free display. I could ( not that I would, I love Apples ) get 2 or 3 PC notebooks with clean displays for the same cost.

if every lcd apple sold was perfect, you laptop would have been closer to $4000

Cooknn
Apr 28, 2004, 09:09 PM
if every lcd apple sold was perfect, you laptop would have been closer to $4000Samsung LCD's boast perfect screens. Bad argument...

switchedanhappy
Apr 28, 2004, 09:53 PM
When you are as rich as Steve you can afford to throw out 2K+ devices until you get one that is free of miniscule imperfection too.

once a day.

idkew
Apr 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
Samsung LCD's boast perfect screens. Bad argument...

apple uses samsung displays.

Dippo
Apr 28, 2004, 10:20 PM
apple uses samsung displays.

I wonder if Samsung keeps the good ones for themselves and gives Apple the rest. :D

Cooknn
Apr 28, 2004, 10:54 PM
I wonder if Samsung keeps the good ones for themselves and gives Apple the rest. :DLOL :D I wondered the same thing about the Apple displays that Best Buy gets. I figured Apple gave them the rejects :cool:

Counterfit
Apr 29, 2004, 01:03 AM
That sounds like the screen is bad or the cable going to the screen has come loose. If it was given to you, you can disassemble it to find out without risking anything. Something like that happened to my friends Rev A PBG4. He had it replaced, then it happened again, and he got a 667MHz DVI :D

abc123
Apr 29, 2004, 07:45 AM
i'm currently on a dell with 10+ dead pixels, count yourself lucky.

Giaguara
May 25, 2004, 08:10 AM
Try massaging it. It worked for me, I had a stuck red pixel. I don't know if it works on a dead pixel.

Method: Hold front of screen with some soft cloth (lens cleaning type), and hold back of screen firmly with other hand, near the dead pixel. Then 'massage' the dead pixel on the front of the screen. It might go 'away'. Mine came back a few times after that, but right now it's been gone for a couple of months I think.

Best of luck!!

That is a way that can work, but that needs a few precautions. DO NOT USE PRESSURE. So if you do try massaging pixels, be REALLY, REALLY GENTLE. Or you can wait for the Apple Care technicians calling you and telling that the pixel anomaly is a result of the pressure applied to the screen, and the monitor warranty does not cover that. Use it as a last resort.

Grokgod
May 25, 2004, 08:58 AM
Hurray!

The stuck pixel is gone,. you must be very happy!

To the guy that has white spots~

What version Powerbook is it, i thought that the new version had this problem solved?

whats up!

davsmiths
May 25, 2004, 10:12 AM
yours is a stuck pixels. but if it really was a dead pixel, even if u massage till those alu paint come off, it would still be there. count urself lucky.

PS: if it was a dead pixel, tt's life.

davsmiths
May 25, 2004, 10:15 AM

Dude, your hitec cable is loose or spoilt. The cost of a hitec cable is only $10 bucks. but the labour cost is abt $50 bucks. tt's what u pay to repair a machine made by an assembly line when a human is deploy to repair it. how i wish they had aasembly lines tt repair machines too. tt would really bring down cost.

krimson
May 25, 2004, 10:17 AM
whats with the new displays.. my bro-in-law's g3 ibook had 2 dead, and 1 stuck.. this new 17" already has 1 dead. My pismo is still perfect (slightly dimmer) after 4 years.

wxkeith
May 25, 2004, 11:07 AM
Just received a new 15" PB last week and it has a few pixel anomalies on it. Looks like four dead pixels (three are down near the bottom right, which I haven't noticed unless I look for them, one about midway up the screen maybe 4" from the left side that is noticable). Just noticed a stuck blue pixel on the top right of the screen last night, but I only notice that one if I play a video full screen.

It's kind of funny.. knowing they're there bugs me, but in my day to day usage, I've only noticed the one stuck pixel in the middle. I figure I can always pester Apple for a new panel (this is a BTO machine) anytime in the 3yr AppleCare period if any additional problems crop up, but I'd rather not take my chances at this point. I would be much more annoyed by a single stuck pixel on a replacement display versus the ones I don't even notice I have now unless I search for them.

Aside from the pixel anomalies, the machine is flawless, so I'd prefer it be serving it's purpose helping me get work done rather than nitpicking over this.

Keith

JFreak
May 25, 2004, 11:37 AM
i had three dead pixels on my previous powerbook, the dvi tibook, and i learned a lesson there: always, ALWAYS buy it from a physical store and make a deal with the store that you get to inspect the display before purchase. now when i was buying this 1.25GHz albook i made the deal with a store and they must have been annoyed because it was the fourth powerbook that had a perfect screen. first three that i opened had faulty screen.

but now i'm glad, the display is flawless. i only miss the L3 cache that the tibook had... it would have made this albook so much better in protools use.

chachacha
Oct 29, 2004, 01:45 PM

How long did you have to massage for? Days? Weeks?

Frank (Atlanta)
Oct 29, 2004, 11:28 PM
This thread helped me! I had a stuck pixel - lower right corner; not obtrusive. But I kept noticing it.

Long story short: massaging worked! Thanks.

As an aside, I too have had dead/stuck pixels in most of the laptops I've used (PCs). As I write this, the clarity & readability of the Mac LCD screen absolutely blows-away my laptop. Even with a dead pixel or two, I'd be very happy with this display.

Of course, I do understand how dead pixels (esp if they're numerous) would be annoying or distracting on some level.

Thx,
Frank

Enigma
Nov 5, 2004, 08:47 AM
I got a new 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook about a month and a half ago, I'm a Windows switcher, love the Powerbook, never going back to Windows if I can help it, but about a week after getting it I noticed a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen. Bit annoying, phoned Apple, said they wouldn't repair for just one pixel. I'd read about that before so thought "fair enough", and gradually stopped noticing it.

Then, about a week ago, I noticed another pixel that was stuck on (always white) and then a sort of patch appeared on the screen that's much brighter than the rest of the screen. Also noticed 3 more dead pixels way at the bottom of the screen (only noticed when I change to a lighter background image and the dock became lighter).

Did a bit of Googling, found out about the powerbook display repair program and the symptoms there are like mine, a bright patch on the screen (even if the website shows it as being a lot of patches). This is really annoying as it's just off centre, noticeable when using anything with a white background, and people to whom I've been showing photographs or work on my screen have asked what it is as it's instantly noticeable. As far as I'm concerned (and the guy on the phone seemed to agree), this is a defect rather than just a broken pixel which is understandable when there's about 3 million subpixels on a screen which all need to work perfectly)

I took it to a store here in Glasgow (Scotland) that is an authorised Apple centre, guy agreed that it should be warranty-repairable, so I've contacted Apple, explained that I have 5 dead pixels and a white spot, but they need me to boot the machine with the recovery CD before they'll book it in (tried to explain it's like that ALL the time, even during boot before it selects an OS, but he said he couldn't do anything unless I'd booted from the CD and confirmed it was still there).

To be honest, for what I paid for the machine (it's BTO, faster HDD, extra VRAM) I'm a bit disappointed that the screen has developed defects after only a month and a half. No idea what I'm going to do for the time they've got it for repair though, guess I'll have to check my old Windows box still boots.

klattu
Sep 21, 2005, 01:09 AM
This TOTALLY worked for me! I came home tonight and found a RED pixel that wouldn't turn off on my baby PB G4 that i got a few months ago. I was freaking out after hearing alllll of the Apple horror stories. Thanks "Switchingeek"! You rock!

Best of luck!!

MUCKYFINGERS
Sep 21, 2005, 02:44 AM
I'm really happy my iBook has no dead pixels ;)