Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did Apple replaced your Rev.A for Rev.B ? Simple and straight forward :)

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Hi there,

I'm was browsing here and there, reading people complaining about Rev. A heat issues etc. and I'm thinking about meeting a genius at my Apple Store to ask for a replacement. I've got 1.6, 80HDD Rev. A.

I'm using coolbook and smcfancontrol, settings are pretty much adjusted (was testing few of them - it looks optimized now), but still.... my temp., while in "heavy use" (flash, full screen video etc) is 90-100 celc., sometimes goes 110 and my mac just switches off (no core shutdowns tho). While in "ligh use" (www, email, im) - temp. is 60-70 celc. The body, near F1-F5 keys is getting really hot.

I want to meet someone at Apple Store, show the person a presentation of this behavior (without coolbook and smcfancontrol installed - should have core shutdowns without them) and (what do you think) would this entitle me to get a replacement maybe for Rev B ? Did someone had any experience with this ? I'm still on my 1yr warranty, so.... Thanks for any thoughts.

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
well if you find a nice apple sales person, then yeah i think they could replace it, on the other hand i think they'll say that they'll first check and will try to fix the problem.
I think it's a 50:50 call ;)

Good luck!

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
well if you find a nice apple sales person, then yeah i think they could replace it, on the other hand i think they'll say that they'll first check and will try to fix the problem.
I think it's a 50:50 call ;)

Good luck!

Thanks. I really need my Mac, it's my only Mac and used constantly, so I want to avoid shipping it somewhere and wait like a week or so for an answer from them. I don't want to do any diy thermal paste or sth either - might do thou, when the meeting won't help. All I want is a free Rev B replacement to be honest :D.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Hi there,

I'm was browsing here and there, reading people complaining about Rev. A heat issues etc. and I'm thinking about meeting a genius at my Apple Store to ask for a replacement.

I'm using coolbook and smcfancontrol, settings are pretty much adjusted (was testing few of them - it looks optimized now), but still.... my temp., while in "heavy use" (flash, full screen video etc) is 90-100 celc., sometimes goes 110 and my mac just switches off (no core shutdowns tho). While in "ligh use" (www, email, im) - temp. is 60-70 celc. The body, near F1-F5 keys is getting really hot.

I want to meet someone at Apple Store, show the person a presentation of this behavior (without coolbook and smcfancontrol installed - should have core shutdowns without them) and (what do you think) would this entitle me to get a replacement maybe for Rev B ? Did someone had any experience with this ? I'm still on my 1yr warranty, so.... Thanks for any thoughts.

REMOVE COOL BOOK before you see them. Remove the fan control software too. They could blame you.

But after you have it back to factory, by all means go complain. Do anything and everything you can to get a rev B MBA. All of your MBA troubles will go away with the rev B. Tell them every dark story you can about how your MBA fails you time and time again. Explain how much money you spent and you expect it to work.

Then, God willing, or "genius" willing, you will have a rev B MBA.

Godspeed!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I had no luck. Apart from the actual component failures, my Rev.A's were in and out of Applecare like a ball on a string during last summer for the thermal issue claims but they continued claiming that it was normal. THis continued even after the release of the Rev.B.

Who knows, they might have a different policy by now but I got rid of both myself, bought a Rev.B and found that while it was better it wasn't by much. Bye-bye underengineered, overdesigned POS, hello Sony/Lenovo (and for something pretty, low-profile and aluminium, now Dell).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I had no luck. Apart from the actual component failures, my Rev.A's were in and out of Applecare like a ball on a string during last summer for the thermal issue claims but they continued claiming that it was normal. THis continued even after the release of the Rev.B.

Who knows, they might have a different policy by now but I got rid of both myself, bought a Rev.B and found that while it was better it wasn't by much. Bye-bye underengineered, overdesigned POS, hello Sony/Lenovo (and for something pretty, low-profile and aluminium, now Dell).

My experience with the rev B was night and day over original. Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. I did dump my original MBA, but I feel like Apple should have recalled every original MBA and replaced it with a rev B MBA free of charge for everyone. The original was such a failure in its time, and most of the changes and successes with it have come with Cool Book. But Cool Book does not solve the problems for everyone, as proven by our OP.

My rev B MBA was stolen a few weeks ago. It was an SSD, but I have since used a rev B with HDD, and it was not fast at all. None of the rev B MBAs I have used have ever been hot, nor slow, nor problematic in any way. It's just that the SSD is really fast in the rev B MBA which makes up for any performance issues of CPU clock speed for normal tasks.

I actually think the rev B MBA is the coolest Mac ever. I am amazed by every minute of use with it. I know SSDs will make any computer faster, but to go from a MBP or 2.4 MB to a 1.86 MBA and have the MBA be faster is incredible. I will stick with the MBA.

I think the Dell Adamo looks really cool, and I had planned to buy one in addition to my MBA but then my MBA was stolen and have to replace it first. I do like the Sonys and Lenova x301, but I think the Adamo is nicer myself. As a primary computer, I will probably not leave the rev B MBA until the rev C MBA is released and so on. I just love OS X, and I am looking forward to Snow Leopard, too on a rev C MBA with 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
FYI, all three of my Airs - 2 x A, 1 x B - were 1.8 SSD's - so I never had an opportunity to see how much a HDD version would be inferior in comparison. I had almost unusable stuttering issues on the A - and while definitely less of a total deal-breaker on the B but still, something I didn't encounter in other machines like the Sony TZ (and later the TT) in regular yet pretty light Office-type use in fairly high, but not very uncomfortable Mediterranean ambients. The Macbook seems to manage similar use better than the Air.

One major issue I have with the Adamo on paper (I don't have it yet, loooooong lead time) is the weight - a full 500 grams, that's a half-litre bottle of Coke, more than the Air. Sure - although it has a ULV C2D and the very integrated 4500MHD chipset, it does have a larger battery, more ports and better wireless connectivity. But the Sony Z packs in all that plus Macbook Pro-level CPU's for just barely more than an Air + iPod Touch.

Looking at the casing of the Air and the Adamo though, it's probably how much the structure has to be braced to actually stand up to everyday travelling use - unlike the Air - if it's made out of rolled, machined aluminium. Which brings into question why use aluminium for the Adamo if it's going to be overweight compared to it's compadres - and that probably comes down to the same answer as the Air: Because it looks and feels nice / 'premium'. And which is of course the reason why I spent a considerable time circling it despite my technical concerns with the machine before I gave in and finally pressed 'buy'.

I'm looking forward to getting it, but at the same time I'm a bit sanguine about the Adamo because of the weight, which puts it in unibody Macbook / Sony SZ territory in terms of all-day portage... and these machines are unarguably more useful in practical terms.

One *major* difference with the Air though? Accidental damage cover availability. When you buy for looks, it's nice to know the machine has a fair chance of keeping said looks, whatever life throws at you.

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
BTW. To be not misunderstood somehow by anyone, I don't want to cheat Apple or something, all I want is a Mac worth its money, nothing else. Don't want to be bothered all the time watching my iStat temp. measures, deciding if I'm able to watch another 5-10 mins of my video or waiting for it to calm down after browsing 5+ page in Firefox with 2-3 small flash banners on them. Hope you do understand me in this matter. If the replacement votes will be higher, I'll give it a try at Apple Store. Thanks for any comments and voting.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
...I also said mine would randomly turn off which it did but after it had been dropped.

I rarely say 'awesome' to a problem, but... awesome! I have a mbp (first intel gen) that I recently dropped out of my bag. Now it randomly freezes up or the display randomly turns off (computer still running but unable to use it)... sorry for interrupting the thread... just thought I'd let you know that I had the same thing.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
BTW. To be not misunderstood somehow by anyone, I don't want to cheat Apple or something, all I want is a Mac worth its money, nothing else. Don't want to be bothered all the time watching my iStat temp. measures, deciding if I'm able to watch another 5-10 mins of my video or waiting for it to calm down after browsing 5+ page in Firefox with 2-3 small flash banners on them. Hope you do understand me in this matter. If the replacement votes will be higher, I'll give it a try at Apple Store. Thanks for any comments and voting.

Get any rev B and it will be a solid Mac!

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

Well - the alternative is not good either way. If you try and unload it you'll lose money (Apple resale value higher = BS) and if you continue using it you'll be using an even more flawed machines than a Rev.B. I'd definitely suggest pestering them over and over again, but that does mean that your machine will be unavailable for that period.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
They replaced my Rev A after many problems between three models and got a Rev B. It came with the line issue, swapped out, line issue again. Going MPB now.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
They replaced my Rev A after many problems between three models and got a Rev B. It came with the line issue, swapped out, line issue again. Going MPB now.

Seems backwards. Going with a several year old Mac PowerBook now? Heavy, old, and far inferior to any rev B MBA. I would live with lines forever before going that far backwards to a MPB - Mac PowerBook.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I suspect that would be MBP :rolleyes:

I figured that, but I think it is too funny when people cannot get the two straight. I usually play stupid and ask why would go with an old Mac PoweBook. I think most have no idea the difference of MPB and MBP when typing it and think it's funny to just assume a Mac PowerBook if they type MPB. I see it all of the time, and if it's someone leaving a MBA, I feel really forced to comment. HA HA. For all we know, maybe they're really going with a MPB and not a MBP.

SKINSnCANES

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Air appointment today for same problem

Did you end up going to the Apple store?

I have an appointment today for the same problems. My cores shut down all the time, I cant keep it on my lap without putting it on a piece of granite because it gets so hot.

My warrantly just fan out and I had filed a complaint with phone support. They want me to have it checked out in person so they made me an appointment today. I cant say that Im very optimistic but I hope they just give me a rev b to fix these problems.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
REMOVE COOL BOOK before you see them. Remove the fan control software too. They could blame you.

But after you have it back to factory, by all means go complain. Do anything and everything you can to get a rev B MBA. All of your MBA troubles will go away with the rev B. Tell them every dark story you can about how your MBA fails you time and time again. Explain how much money you spent and you expect it to work.

Then, God willing, or "genius" willing, you will have a rev B MBA.

Godspeed!
MY A is great no heat at all, maybe try another A?
B is very over rated, I had it and went back to A .

leez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
UK
Did you end up going to the Apple store?

I have an appointment today for the same problems. My cores shut down all the time, I cant keep it on my lap without putting it on a piece of granite because it gets so hot.

My warrantly just fan out and I had filed a complaint with phone support. They want me to have it checked out in person so they made me an appointment today. I cant say that Im very optimistic but I hope they just give me a rev b to fix these problems.

Hi there,

no, not yet. Don't have time to be honest, need to clean it, back all the stuff up before I go there. Anyway post your experience with them. Thanks

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I figured that, but I think it is too funny when people cannot get the two straight. I usually play stupid and ask why would go with an old Mac PoweBook. I think most have no idea the difference of MPB and MBP when typing it and think it's funny to just assume a Mac PowerBook if they type MPB. I see it all of the time, and if it's someone leaving a MBA, I feel really forced to comment. HA HA. For all we know, maybe they're really going with a MPB and not a MBP.

Perhaps it was just a typo, similar to the bolded word above. I've never seen anyone refer to a PowerBook as a "Mac PowerBook" or MBP, anyway, before your post.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Perhaps it was just a typo, similar to the bolded word above. I've never seen anyone refer to a PowerBook as a "Mac PowerBook" or MBP, anyway, before your post.

I have seen it several times. Seen people that meant PowerBook and mostly where people mean MBP. In my defense, I was using a Dell Inspiron that didn't catch my typo... LOL. Unfortunately, my THREE Macs were stolen, and I had to use a six-year-old Dell Inspiron for a few weeks before buying another Mac.

Interestingly enough, I bought a unibody MB from a person of Craig's List, and the display on the MB is worse than the six-year-old Dell Inspiron. I will say that everything else about the unibody MB is very nice, but the display is a sad fact of the uMB.

At least I am typing on a Mac, and now I can see typos with squiggly red lines under them. I love the Mac.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I've taken my MBA to apple several times over the year i've owned it but never tried to get it replaced...If something goes wrong again I'm gonna ask for a rev B...i didn't think that was even possible but after looking at the poll I think it's worth a try.

SKINSnCANES

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Received Rev C for out of warranty Rev A!

So I was having major overheating issues with my Rev A and was tired of it so I wrote a letter to Apple and started the process of trying to get it replaced.

Long story short, Applecare wouldnt do anything because my warranty had just run out.

The local store sent it out for repair at no cost to me.

It was returned to me with a new screen, new hindges, and a new thermal heat seat. I have no idea why they replaced the screen. I never had any problems with it. Replacing the hinges was nice though.

I used it for a week, and becuase its a Rev A it still had all the same problems.

I took it back to the store. They did a stress test on it to confirm and walked out with a new Rev C for me!

It is the non SSD version, like what I had. But I think I can return it and pay the difference for the SSD so I am considering it. I played with the SSD version and programs open up instantly, I loved it.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.