Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Like many consumers, John Mayberry was looking to upgrade his iPod. The IT technician had 50,000 songs stored on his computer, but his 60-gigabyte iPod maxed out at 12,000 songs. And Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) wasn't helping. Last year the company discontinued its largest iPod, a 160GB model, citing concerns about its design. Currently the largest iPod that Mayberry can buy is 120GB - or half the size of his music library.

That was the cue for Rapid Repair, located in Kalamazoo. In February the startup began retrofitting old iPods with a new 240GB hard drive. The price of the procedure, $300, was the same as the cost of a new iPod, and having the device hacked broke its warranty. But Mayberry didn't care: He finally had an MP3 player equal to his music library. "I'll hold on to this one for a while," he says.

He wasn't alone. In the first two hours the service was available, Rapid Repair received 300 orders - more than its inventory could handle. One month later the company had solved its supply problem and upgraded 500 iPods.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/30/smallbusiness/bling_your_ipod.fsb/index.htm

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
Awesome. Too bad it's only for iPod videos (5G and 5.5G.) My 160GB classic is itching for a bigger harddrive.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Well we can ONLY hope this year they release a 240gb model. I'm actually surprised they are sold out with the asking price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.