PDA

View Full Version : new to iPhone developers membership

hawaiipoolman
May 1, 2009, 07:41 PM
i just became an iphone developer, mostly to try and see if i can make something fun.... but i only have one iphone, and i wanted to see if there are any concerns about turning my day to day phone into a developer phone running 3.0 beta 4 (besides the expiration issue) also, I have 40+ GBs of music and videos, and am curious if itunes 8.2 beta will hurt my library at all. Thanks.

jmccullough108
May 1, 2009, 07:44 PM
i just became an iphone developer, mostly to try and see if i can make something fun.... but i only have one iphone, and i wanted to see if there are any concerns about turning my day to day phone into a developer phone running 3.0 beta 4 (besides the expiration issue) also, I have 40+ GBs of music and videos, and am curious if itunes 8.2 beta will hurt my library at all. Thanks.

Do not upgrade your primary device, have a device dedicated to beta testing. You will thank me later.

calvy
May 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
Do not upgrade your primary device, have a device dedicated to beta testing. You will thank me later.

What he said. Don't do this unless you enjoy punishment.

firewood
May 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
For starters, just develop for the current version of the OS on your device. Most of the features for the newest OS beta are for more advanced development. If you need to test your new app with beta OS features, getting another device is strongly recommended (should be required).

RobertD63
May 2, 2009, 10:13 AM
I've upgraded my only iPhone to the beta and there is no punishment. Yes there are a couple of hang ups but some are no worse than what i've dealt with in 2.2.1.

kainjow
May 2, 2009, 10:47 AM
I've been using all of the recent betas on my normal phone without too much problem. I think it was when installing b2 that it puked and I had to do a restore from backup, but since then no issues. Just remember once you install a v3 beta you can't go back.

henrysoup
May 3, 2009, 07:22 PM
If you are new, don't worry about the beta yet anyway. Just learn to develop on the current release until 3.0 is officially released. :o

theagentx
May 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
I agree, I took the advice of someone on this forum and got a ipod touch for beta testing. I have not loaded the 3.0 beta on it yet, but I an not going to load it on my primary phone :-)

I have heard the horror stories and the fact you cannot downgrade afterwards put me off.:eek: