PDA

View Full Version : Major ibook g4 problem.

claven
Apr 27, 2004, 06:10 PM
I'm new here...
I bought a 1ghz ibook g4 a month and a half ago, and over the weekend it started freezing up on me. Then I got a kernel panic...I shut down, let it sit for a while and then rebooted. Instead of getting the startup screen, I got a dark screen that colorshifted to white, revealing a series of 2 inch thick vertical bars. It continued to colorshift to purple...I let it sit for a while and then rebooted, got a kernel panic, shut it down, and it started working fine...until I bumped it. It froze, so I rebooted, and the vertical bars thing happened again. I left it over night, and it was working fine the next day. I used the hardware test disc, which froze the first time, rebooted, and ran a successful test the second time. EVERYTHING PASSED! It worked fine for a while and then the same things started happening, so I've taken it in for repair. They don't know what the problem is. Do any of you?

michaelrjohnson
Apr 27, 2004, 06:28 PM
I own a 12in iBook purchased a few weeks ago, and I do not have, nor have I heard of this issue. I apologize for not being any help, my only advice would be to check apple's support forums. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 27, 2004, 06:31 PM
I'm new here...
I bought a 1ghz ibook g4 a month and a half ago, and over the weekend it started freezing up on me. Then I got a kernel panic...I shut down, let it sit for a while and then rebooted. Instead of getting the startup screen, I got a dark screen that colorshifted to white, revealing a series of 2 inch thick vertical bars. It continued to colorshift to purple...I let it sit for a while and then rebooted, got a kernel panic, shut it down, and it started working fine...until I bumped it. It froze, so I rebooted, and the vertical bars thing happened again. I left it over night, and it was working fine the next day. I used the hardware test disc, which froze the first time, rebooted, and ran a successful test the second time. EVERYTHING PASSED! It worked fine for a while and then the same things started happening, so I've taken it in for repair. They don't know what the problem is. Do any of you?

It sounds like you need them to get a new iBook for you...

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 27, 2004, 06:37 PM
I can understand where you are coming from. But that does not excuse you from posting the same question in under an hour. Please give people a chance to answer.

Giaguara
Apr 27, 2004, 06:46 PM
sounds like logic board failure.

does it look like THIS PICTURE? (http://digilander.libero.it/BackOrifice2002/problem2.jpg) that was taken with teh logic board failure.

just in case, http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ even though you are in warranty (for being a g4).

take it to the apple store. fixing it will take 1 - 10 days.

claven
Apr 27, 2004, 06:46 PM
I can understand where you are coming from. But that does not excuse you from posting the same question in under an hour. Please give people a chance to answer.

Sorry, I thought I'd posted it in the wrong section...

jimsowden
Apr 27, 2004, 06:58 PM
sounds like logic board failure.

does it look like THIS PICTURE? (http://digilander.libero.it/BackOrifice2002/problem2.jpg) that was taken with teh logic board failure.

just in case, http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ even though you are in warranty (for being a g4).

take it to the apple store. fixing it will take 1 - 10 days.
I think the logic board repair only applies to G3 iBooks, because they obviously chenged the board with a new processor. I would try zeroing the HD and doing a clean install. Worked for me once. Zeroing really solves some wierd problems.

claven
Apr 27, 2004, 07:04 PM
I would try zeroing the HD and doing a clean install. Worked for me once. Zeroing really solves some wierd problems.

I tried to get it to boot from the install discs, but the same thing would happen. I suspect that there are deeper issues than just software, etc. as it would freeze anytime the ibook was moved or jiggled slightly. Kinda defeats the "portable" purpose...

IJ Reilly
Apr 27, 2004, 07:19 PM
This is obviously a hardware problem. Have you installed an Airport card? RAM? If so, remove them. Better yet, since it's under warranty, get on the horn to Apple and ask them to fix or replace the computer.

mklos
Apr 27, 2004, 07:25 PM
I'm new here...

It does sound like you have a logic board failure, or something on the logic board that isn't quite right. I doubt its the memory since it passed through the hardware test, but if you have any extra RAM installed into it (especially 3rd party RAM) then try taking it out and see if it still does it. Apple will probably have you do that anyways as something to try if you call them. I would take it to an Apple Store if you have one near by or call Apple and see if they will replace your iBook. They should since its only a month old and its covered under the original warranty.

jemeinc
Apr 27, 2004, 07:47 PM
It does sound like you have a logic board failure, or something on the logic board that isn't quite right. I doubt its the memory since it passed through the hardware test, but if you have any extra RAM installed into it (especially 3rd party RAM) then try taking it out and see if it still does it. Apple will probably have you do that anyways as something to try if you call them. I would take it to an Apple Store if you have one near by or call Apple and see if they will replace your iBook. They should since its only a month old and its covered under the original warranty.

I agree it sounds like a logicboard problem.... Not that I actually know what a logicboard is, just that as an owner of an infamous G3 iBook, I know the symptoms when they fail...

I also know "the procedure" Apple takes for these types of problems & replacing it just isn't going to happen- YET... I battled tooth & nail w/ them for months & they would prefer to keep fixing the same thing over & over, as long as the consumer will allow them to keep trying... I agree that you should push for a replacement, but it isn't going to happen after one problem... Let them fix it, keep meticulous documents, & after about 3 repairs go after them politely, but firm... Worked for me, my new eMac will be here May 3rd... :-)...

Giaguara
Apr 28, 2004, 11:15 AM
The warranty extension program for iBook logic boards that I linked, is valid for G3s specified in it only.

They have changed the logic board type in the G4 iBooks. But the logic board issue still exists - my neighbor has a G4 iBook, and he has just had the logic board replaced. So being a G4 does not exclude the possibility of it. And judging the problem description, it sounds pretty much like a logic board. Take it to the Apple Store.