Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
There will not be a camera in any iPod touch. It doesn't make sense.

Tallest Skil, I gotta say, why are you so adamantly opposed to the idea? Here are a couple reasons I think it does make sense.

1. More broadly, we know from the iPhone OS 3.0 presentation that Apple is giving developers more and more access to the iPhone hardware, practically any and every part that is in there. More and more applications, therefore, will be reliant on this access. With iPod touch sales about equal to the number of iPhone sales, denying an app's usefulness on the touch would be unnecessary and limit the sales potential of a developer's app.

2. I know that phones have had camera's in them for the longest time, and apple probably only threw it in the iPhone to begin with because of this (hence, they didn't bother with the iPod touch), but when there is something genuinely interesting and value-added with adding a camera/camcorder capability, they've got to be looking at it. The Flip and Kodak mini-camcorders have been a huge success. Why wouldn't Apple want a piece of that pie?

Regarding point 1 again, I don't buy the argument that the camera is what distinguishes the iPhone from the iPod touch. At the margin, I don't that is the breaking point for anyone deciding between the two.

The fact that the iPhone can be used as a phone, and has internet access all the time is all the differentiation it needs.

The iPod touch should not, and will not, remain the iPhone's crippled doppelganger, and should/will have everything the iPhone has, sans the 3G chip, including a camera, GPS, bluetooth 2.0, and anything else they think of for the next generation coming out this year (magnetometer?). Btw, a similar argument to Point 2 can be made for GPS. GPS devices are also insanely popular, and now that Apple is allowing 3rd party developers to make their own GPS programs (but they have to supply their own maps, remember, so this means downloaded maps and offline access), why not have the touch attack this market as well?

In case it seems like it, Skil, I'm not trying to dogpile on you. More than anything, I'm preaching to any Apple employees that may be scrounging around here, hoping someone is listening. Do you still think that it is illogical to have a camera on the touch? If so, why? I can't think of a reason at this point.

Cheers,

DCBass

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I think eventually we'll get a camera - maybe 2 to 3 MP, but no video recording.

They are saving that for the iPhone as a premium feature- look at the reports from the 3.0 beta, record video and upload to Youtube with the push of a button.

No way they are adding that to the iPod Touch.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
With iPod touch sales about equal to the number of iPhone sales, denying an app's usefulness on the touch would be unnecessary and limit the sales potential of a developer's app.

With iPod touch sales about equal to iPhone sales, Apple wants to sell you the more expensive item, the iPhone, by making it distinct from the iPod touch via hardware.

Regarding point 1 again, I don't buy the argument that the camera is what distinguishes the iPhone from the iPod touch. At the margin, I don't that is the breaking point for anyone deciding between the two.

It certainly isn't the only thing, but when choosing between a phone and an iPod, Apple needs as much differentiation as possible to sell the iPhone at all.

The fact that the iPhone can be used as a phone, and has internet access all the time is all the differentiation it needs.

I just think it's awesome that you also used "differentiation" before I had even read this far. :p

The iPod touch should not, and will not, remain the iPhone's crippled doppelganger, and should/will have everything the iPhone has, sans the 3G chip, including a camera, GPS, bluetooth 2.0, and anything else they think of for the next generation coming out this year (magnetometer?).

Should not? I agree. Will not? I completely disagree. Everything you mentioned is a selling point for the iPhone.

I'm preaching to any Apple employees that may be scrounging around here, hoping someone is listening.

It is my belief that the only reason any Apple employees with the sway to make changes frequent these forums is to make sure nothing gets leaked.:rolleyes:

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I know that phones have had camera's in them for the longest time, and apple probably only threw it in the iPhone to begin with because of this (hence, they didn't bother with the iPod touch), but when there is something genuinely interesting and value-added with adding a camera/camcorder capability, they've got to be looking at it. The Flip and Kodak mini-camcorders have been a huge success. Why wouldn't Apple want a piece of that pie?

This is an interesting point, but I think that Apple will probably only choose one of the iPhone's features to migrate up to the next touch. Since they added the Nike+ bluetooth receiver in the second generation, it looks like fitness is an area they want to exploit with the touch. I would love to get a Nike+, but I have a first gen, so I looked at the app store. There are tons of running and fitness apps, but the majority want the GPS in the iPhone. So my guess is that the GPS will be the next feature to graduate to the touch.

Plus the GPS doesn't require more memory to be used while it is running, and shooting video or even stills does. They may wait on the camera for the fourth gen, when the flash memory tops out at 128GB.

The iPod touch should not, and will not, remain the iPhone's crippled doppelganger, and should/will have everything the iPhone has, sans the 3G chip, including a camera, GPS, bluetooth 2.0, and anything else they think of for the next generation coming out this year (magnetometer?). Btw, a similar argument to Point 2 can be made for GPS. GPS devices are also insanely popular, and now that Apple is allowing 3rd party developers to make their own GPS programs (but they have to supply their own maps, remember, so this means downloaded maps and offline access), why not have the touch attack this market as well?

Cheers,

DCBass

The rumor is that the 3.0 software will unlock the bluetooth to be used for more than just Nike+. That plus the GPS (and possible magnetometer) will be enough to sell hoards more touches. Then in another year, add the camera for another round of buying.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Should not? I agree. Will not? I completely disagree. Everything you mentioned is a selling point for the iPhone.

I see your point. I'm still crossing my fingers though.

It is my belief that the only reason any Apple employees with the sway to make changes frequent these forums is to make sure nothing gets leaked.:rolleyes:

Ha! Good point.

The rumor is that the 3.0 software will unlock the bluetooth to be used for more than just Nike+. That plus the GPS (and possible magnetometer) will be enough to sell hoards more touches. Then in another year, add the camera for another round of buying.

Hmmm the classic phased roll-in approach. Another good point. I will cross my fingers harder now.

Cheers,

DCBass

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Hmmm the classic phased roll-in approach. Another good point. I will cross my fingers harder now.

Cheers,

DCBass

Unfortunately, that's the way Apple does things. But whichever feature they do add will have you SOOOO tempted to upgrade. :D

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Unfortunately, that's the way Apple does things. But whichever feature they do add will have you SOOOO tempted to upgrade. :D

I'll sure be tempted, but my 5th Gen 30GB black iPod is still going strong after 3+ years. The sooner Apple wants my money, the sooner they better pull out all the stops. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.