Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Someone told me that if you have 2 Macs running Panther with each with its own wireless card then you don't need a base station. You can use one of them as a software base station and share the internet and files around. Is this true? Has anyone ever heard of this?

A quick thanks!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Cool now I gotta go buy an AirPort Extreme Card for my iMac! Thanks for all of your help!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
mklos said:
Cool now I gotta go buy an AirPort Extreme Card for my iMac! Thanks for all of your help!

I don't think it's the best solution though... a cheap woreless router would be a much better use of your money IMHO.

stoid

macrumors 601
mactastic said:
I don't think it's the best solution though... a cheap woreless router would be a much better use of your money IMHO.

Well the AE card is about $100 and that not much different than most 802.11g routers.

Advantage: One less box and plug to debug if something goes wrong.

Disadvantage: Shut down the iMac, internet goes bye-bye.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
mactastic said:

Well I'd need to find a wireless base station that has a modem on it or else its useless to me because I'm on dial-up. I kinda like the idea because as said previously I don't more boxes with cords as I have enough **** as it is. As long as this truly works then its the best solution for me! I don't want to spend money for an AirPort Extreme Card and then buy a base station. If that was the case then I wouldn't of even asked this question.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
stoid said:
Well the AE card is about $100 and that not much different than most 802.11g routers.

Advantage: One less box and plug to debug if something goes wrong.

Disadvantage: Shut down the iMac, internet goes bye-bye.

My iMac gets turned on when I get up and doesn't get shut off until I go to bed so that wouldn't be a problem. I even have my iMac on a Backups battery in case the power goes out.

I just want to be able to go out on the porch and get on the internet or go out in the garage and get on the internet. As long as I can see my iMac with the wireless then I think I would be able to use Apple Remote Desktop to see the iMac screen and do what I need if needed. If I can share files then I should be able to do this.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
mklos said:
Well I'd need to find a wireless base station that has a modem on it or else its useless to me because I'm on dial-up. I kinda like the idea because as said previously I don't more boxes with cords as I have enough **** as it is. As long as this truly works then its the best solution for me! I don't want to spend money for an AirPort Extreme Card and then buy a base station. If that was the case then I wouldn't of even asked this question.

Ok, fair enough. I just didn't want you to take my comments about it being possible to mean it's the best alternative.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Dial up, huh? Well, getting rid of that is where you need to spend the money, right? Go with cable and a wireless router and you'll be in Internet heaven compared to what you have.

But for now your solution with the two macs will work -- but you'll have to be patient.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
numediaman said:
Dial up, huh? Well, getting rid of that is where you need to spend the money, right? Go with cable and a wireless router and you'll be in Internet heaven compared to what you have.

But for now your solution with the two macs will work -- but you'll have to be patient.

I live out in the sticks and there isn't any solution besides satellite internet. And that is wwaayyyy overpriced. Its $700 just to have it setup and then another $60 to $70 per month for the service. So thats out of the question. So I'm basically stuck with dialup that is extremely slow with only a 24k connection max. I have underground copper phone lines that probably aren't going to be updated to fiber optic for some time.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
mklos said:
I live out in the sticks and there isn't any solution besides satellite internet. And that is wwaayyyy overpriced. Its $700 just to have it setup and then another $60 to $70 per month for the service. So thats out of the question. So I'm basically stuck with dialup that is extremely slow with only a 24k connection max. I have underground copper phone lines that probably aren't going to be updated to fiber optic for some time.
i'm sorry.

that being said...a base station is complete overkill for your, and most people's usage. a base station can support up to 50 different user's at once...this is designed for school's, businesses, etc. The home user usually has no more than two or three computers (unless they have serious issues) which are better off being linked via AE cards (unless you require an "always on" connection, which is kind of moot since you could just leave the computer on). The only situation i know of where a home user would require a base station, would be if their only computer is a laptop and they want wireless.

BASE STATIONS ARE OVERKILL IN YOUR HOME!

siliconjones

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
I did the software base station thing for quite a while. My problem with it was in my home the range was not close to the range with my WAP. I used to have no signal in my living room which is about 35 feet away down a hallway. With my WAP. I have 92% percent signal at my front door which is about 60 feet away.

Plus, I had to let everyone in my home with wireless know that I was restarting. I also had problems with time to live and the advertisement period.

I would not get the apple base station. I have a netgear G-router that I use as a access point only, my gateway is a hi-end business model also made by netgear.

I have friends who've had luck with buffalo. AFAIK the buffalo stuff is essentially the same internals as apple stuff. A friend of mine hacked his base station and attached the buffalo omnidirectional antenna. I stuck with netgear because I had the netgear gateway for business purposes.

In all, the SWBS was a good band-aid while in a money crunch but usability and performance was suffering tremebdously.

As always, sorry for the long post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.