PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Announces Roadmap

rdowns
Apr 27, 2004, 07:21 PM
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4126_3482_23,00.html

The part we care about:

Delivering Higher Performance: The e600 and e700 Cores and Platforms

The next planned step in Freescale’s performance roadmap is the e600 core and corresponding e600 platform. An enhanced version of the high-performance G4 core used in the award-winning, high-performance MPC74xx family of PowerPC host processors, the e600 core is planned to scale beyond 2 GHz and to support chip multiprocessing (CMP) while maintaining full compatibility with the PowerPC instruction set architecture. Like its G4 predecessor, the superscalar e600 core is designed to issue four instructions per clock cycle (three instructions plus one branch) into eleven independent execution units, and to include a full 128-bit implementation of Freescale's advanced AltiVec Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) vector processing technology.

Freescale Semiconductor also disclosed today at SNDF its plans to develop the next-generation 32/64-bit e700 PowerPC core and corresponding e700 platform. Processor products engineered around Freescale’s forthcoming e700 SoC platform are planned to be capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit software and scaling to 3 GHz and beyond in next-generation process technologies.

Large Portfolio of System Technology for Customizable Platforms
In addition to leveraging enhanced PowerPC processor cores optimized for SoC design methodologies, Freescale’s scalable SoC platforms draw from the company’s large portfolio of system technology. This broad portfolio includes system fabrics (RapidIO technology, SerDes), networking acceleration (10/100/100 Ethernet, ATM, HDLC, etc.), local buses (PCI, PCI-X, PCI Express, etc.), memory controllers (DDR and DDRII), general communications peripherals, and security engines. Access to Freescale’s system technology makes it fast, easy and cost-effective to mix and match functional blocks and develop new SoC-based products optimized for a wide range of applications. Whether a customer’s system is power-sensitive, computationally demanding or I/O intensive, Freescale Semiconductor offers the scalable processing performance, breadth of connectivity technology, and integration expertise to address the design challenge.

When customers require customized solutions that are not available through standard product lines, Freescale Semiconductor can respond quickly and cost-effectively through its SemiCustom operation, which was announced today at SNDF. Freescale’s SemiCustom operation develops highly integrated, customized system-on-chip SoC platform designs built on a foundation of Freescale’s processor cores, system blocks and mixed-signal portfolio used in the company’s standard products. Leveraging its scalable, reusable PowerPC e300 and e500 platforms, Freescale Semiconductor is able to develop new SoC-based products within a 6- to 9-month window, helping customers accelerate time to market and reduce system development costs. :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me
Apr 27, 2004, 07:36 PM
Interesting...

stoid
Apr 27, 2004, 07:39 PM
Could these processors even find their way into Macs (iBook maybe) before Apple fully transitions over to the G5?

Abstract
Apr 27, 2004, 08:44 PM
Depending on how quickly Moto comes out with the e600 and 700, maybe Apple should stick with having 2 sources to produce their procs for them. Never thought I'd say "lets stick with Moto" ever again... :rolleyes:

jamdr
Apr 27, 2004, 09:16 PM
Hopefully now that Moto's processor division has been spun off into its own company, they will actually stick with their roadmap. Remember Moto's roadmap for the G5? That was a joke--they never even came close and still haven't reached their goals from years ago.

Sun Baked
Apr 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
Sounds like Motorola is replacing the G4 with the Book E processor.

bousozoku
Apr 27, 2004, 09:41 PM
Like its G4 predecessor, the superscalar e600 core is designed to issue four instructions per clock cycle (three instructions plus one branch) into eleven independent execution units, and to include a full 128-bit implementation of Freescale's advanced AltiVec Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) vector processing technology.

So, basically, they're recycling the current G4 specifications on a hardware design that can go faster.

King Cobra
Apr 27, 2004, 10:01 PM
I always thought Motorola's roadmap looked more like this:

2004 Q1: Prepare chip stock inventory count for second half of the year
2004 Q2: Prepare potential G5 chip design #4 for testing in 2005 Q1
2004 Q3: Move chip stock inventory count to 2005 Q2 and screw things up more
2004 Q4: Make announcements of what really happened three months ago

2005 Q1: Begin thorough testing on G5 chip performance analysis
2005 Q2: Report inventory figures, and predit a 2006 Q1 release of new chip
2005 Q3: Report stats of G5 chip just one day before it fails...do not report new results whatsoever
2005 Q4: Invest in very realistic possibility of fully operational G6 chip for 2007 or 2008

2006 Q1: Push G5 chip release back to late 2006, and report new figures
2006 Q2: Recount inventories because company lost previous count...also begin G6 testing
2006 Q3: Announce that G5 chip should come out "soon"
2006 Q4: Release an overclocked G4 chip instead

2007 Q1: Report preferred release dates for future G5, G6, and G7 chips, not the actual release dates
2007 Q2: Finish testing on G5 and pronounce it: "******** beyond all repair"
2007 Q3: Rename G6 to G5
2007 Q4: Start the whole process over again.

MacsRgr8
Apr 28, 2004, 10:34 AM

That's looks more familiar....

But who knows, who knows.

If Moto IS able to produce e600's and e700's, I bet Apple will be the first to try to buy 'em all.
"Its's good to have options"
And the G5 now is still no faster than 1 year ago...

BrianKonarsMac
Apr 28, 2004, 12:11 PM
so are you saying it doesn't?

in all seriousness though, it's better for Apple to have BOTH Motoroal and IBM developing Processor's. Sure IBM has the know how and the money etc, but we all just experienced our first bump in the road, what if the road only gets worse? It'd be nice to have Motorola to help keep Apple afloat while IBM irons things out, and vice versa. You can't count on IBM to be 100% all the time (although many of us would like to).

7on
Apr 28, 2004, 02:28 PM
Not to mention it seems IBM may be falling into a slump with it's processor production... Anyway, If Motorola can produce a faster or efficient G4, let them. All it would do i help Apple, it's not like anyone else buys PPC processors in Apple's quantities. I imagine that since IBM came out with the G5, Motorola realized it had a competitor and decided to upscale the chip production (as shown by the 1.5s in the Powerbooks).

thatwendigo
Apr 28, 2004, 05:58 PM
Like I've said before, I'll believe this when I see a shipping product. Motorola is largely in the embedded market, not the computer desktop/portable market, and their promises in that region have been historically hard to keep up. As much as the posterr with the made-up timeline meant it as a joke, he's probably right.

A press release means nothing. Products in warehouses do.

bousozoku
Apr 28, 2004, 09:04 PM
That's looks more familiar....

But who knows, who knows.

If Moto IS able to produce e600's and e700's, I bet Apple will be the first to try to buy 'em all.
"Its's good to have options"
And the G5 now is still no faster than 1 year ago...

Since the PPC970/G5 wasn't available to consumers a year ago, how can you say that it is no faster?

When was any processor yield at the start of a process shrink great or amazing? I hope you're not all going to cry again when they go to 65 nm parts because there will be some trouble.

I'm still waiting to see what Motorola will do about all the wonderful things they said they'd have out last year. :D If Apple has these new processors to put in machines, all the better, but as thatwendigo implied, don't hold your breath.

MacsRgr8
Apr 29, 2004, 04:07 AM
Since the PPC970/G5 wasn't available to consumers a year ago, how can you say that it is no faster?

When was any processor yield at the start of a process shrink great or amazing? I hope you're not all going to cry again when they go to 65 nm parts because there will be some trouble.

I'm still waiting to see what Motorola will do about all the wonderful things they said they'd have out last year. :D If Apple has these new processors to put in machines, all the better, but as thatwendigo implied, don't hold your breath.

ok... not an entire year yet, true.
But I bet most of us had expected > 2.0 Ghz G5s by now. Especially after Steve made his (in)famous 3. Ghz remark ;)

oingoboingo
Apr 29, 2004, 05:32 AM
A press release means nothing. Products in warehouses do.

I think I'd prefer my products in consumer's hands rather than sitting in my warehouses if I were Motorola :D

ftaok
Apr 29, 2004, 07:29 AM
ok... not an entire year yet, true.
But I bet most of us had expected > 2.0 Ghz G5s by now. Especially after Steve made his (in)famous 3. Ghz remark ;)

The real question is why can't/won't IBM make 970 chips that run faster than 2 ghz. It seems like they are waiting for the 0.9 micron chips to break the 2 ghz barrier. WHY?!?!?!?!

Mr. Anderson
Apr 29, 2004, 07:34 AM
and the e700 processor going 32/64 bit....so what sort of compatibility issues would there be with this chip and the 64 bit G5 from IBM? It all sounds nice, but until they deliver, its no good for Apple. And by then the G5 will be even more fully entrenched in Macs and performing well ahead of what Moto can provide (at least we hope :D)

D