Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Hi there,

I'm starting to look around to have just one remote control to be able to control all my home theater stuff: TV, cable box DVR, :apple:TV, BluRay Disc player, HDMI switch, amp-receiver, etc.

It seems like on of the favorites out there is the Logitech Harmony One, but are there any other options? Anything newer? Less expensive? Better?

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I've had a Harmony 550 for a while now - I'd be lost without it.

Their software is a bit rough, but works fine. You can either run it locally on your Mac, or use their web version. Either way, it maintains a backup on their server (you can force a local backup through their web interface, if you like, but I've never had to use it).

I have the usual mix: HD TV, DirecTV DVR, :apple:tv, DVD recorder, XBOX, Blu-ray, and home theater amp, with digital inputs. Since I ran short, I also have a HDMI expander and an optical audio expander (switch boxes), both have IR remote.

One of the "activities" I setup was for music only, using the :apple:tv as the source. I set it up to leave the plasma tv off (since I don't really need to stare at album artwork), then I use the iPhone Apple Remote as the interface to the :apple:tv.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I have the harmony 880, and I absolutely love it. You can snag them cheaper as refurbs, or through amazon, etc. Or try ebay. As far as universal remotes in general, harmony seems to be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.