PDA

View Full Version : Abuse of Narcotic 'Perc-A-Pops' Reported

Sparky's
Apr 27, 2004, 08:47 PM
My God, watch out what your kids bring home for Halloween this year!!

HARRISBURG, Pa. April 27 A narcotic painkiller that looks like a lollipop designed to speed relief to cancer patients is starting to show up in illegal sales with the nickname "perc-a-pop." The drug's ease of use and sweet taste have law enforcement officials worried about the potential for abuse.
(full article)
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040427_2040.html

baby duck monge
Apr 27, 2004, 10:10 PM
mmmmmmm, drugs. and so tasty, too!

why do people come up with this sort of thing? i mean, making it look like candy is one thing. but then making it taste good too... no good can come of that. actually, yes, yes it can. but i digress.

iMeowbot
Apr 27, 2004, 10:25 PM
It must be a slow news day, people have been finding alternative uses for these things since they were introduced.

why do people come up with this sort of thing?

It's intended for cancer patients who are already taking narcotics, to ease them through periods when the pain overwhelms what's already in the system. The flavoring is to mask the nasty taste of a medication that's absorbed through the check.

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 12:42 AM
The flavoring is to mask the nasty taste of a medication that's absorbed through the check.

Unfortunately, it's all absorbed through the check. :D

iMeowbot
Apr 28, 2004, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately, it's all absorbed through the check. :D

I hate spell cheekers.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 28, 2004, 06:58 AM
mmmmmmm, drugs. and so tasty, too!

why do people come up with this sort of thing? i mean, making it look like candy is one thing. but then making it taste good too... no good can come of that. actually, yes, yes it can. but i digress.

Tell that to the 5 year old in the chemo chair who hurts in ways that can't be described.

caveman_uk
Apr 28, 2004, 07:45 AM
Tell that to the 5 year old in the chemo chair who hurts in ways that can't be described.
Over here we prescribe diamorphine (heroin) to terminal cancer patients.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 28, 2004, 09:32 AM

i always thought was a good idea. If you are going to go out, go out riding the white horse. Its not like addiction is going to be a worry.

aricher
Apr 28, 2004, 12:22 PM
A guy I work with has chronic back pain from a car accident he had 5 years ago. Has had multiple surgeries to no avail. The other day I thought he was sucking on a Blow-Pop - he told me it was a Morphine derivitave lollipop that he got from a friend who has cancer. He said that it doesn't whack him out that much but it was the only thing that has ever fully eased his chronic back pain.

I could see the potential for abuse for this (hello Rush Limbaugh) but for those who truly need it it's a very good drug delivery method.

MrMacMan
Apr 28, 2004, 10:11 PM

Whhhaaatttt?

Oh my god!

Drugs!

You mean people can't fake cancer?