Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
it seems like such a stupid question since I've had a 12" PB for half a year now, but I still don't have wireless internet going, and don't own an AE card.

Here's my question:
Since PC users have to buy a wireless internet card and plug it into their computers, do PB or iBook users have to buy a WiFi card from Apple, or can we buy any wireless card? I only ask because Mac users can use any wireless base station because it uses the same standard, but are the cards standard as well, or do Apple computers use a card specially sized/shaped for Apple computers only? :rolleyes:

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
for you you can only get AE internally, you could get a USB one or if you had a 15inch powerbook you could get a PC card one

Abstract said:
it seems like such a stupid question since I've had a 12" PB for half a year now, but I still don't have wireless internet going, and don't own an AE card.

Here's my question:
Since PC users have to buy a wireless internet card and plug it into their computers, do PB or iBook users have to buy a WiFi card from Apple, or can we buy any wireless card? I only ask because Mac users can use any wireless base station because it uses the same standard, but are the cards standard as well, or do Apple computers use a card specially sized/shaped for Apple computers only? :rolleyes:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
The standard here is 802.11b/g--that's the same regardless of platform. The card has to be from Apple though. Technically, if you have a PCMCIA slot you could buy a PCMCIA card if it would work with OS X. Unless things have changed in the last year (and it's possible they have) there aren't any that do.

I'd really urge you to get the Apple card even if you do find a PCMCIA or USB alternative. Once you install it it will work perfectly with no setup and it will never get in your way.

xeriminox

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2004
Colorado
I am using an AE card with my 12" PB with a Netgear router. The connection is great, and it is certainly a lot less expensive when compared to purchasing the Apple base station. You can also purchase a USB wireless card, but I would certainly recommend the AE Card as it is integrated into the computer, and there is no hassle with having to plug in a secondary unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.