Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
With all the talk about ABC buying into Hulu and the speculation of what this means for Apple. I wish Apple would come out with an Apple TV software update that would allow Hulu to be an option in the main menu much like YouTube is now, even replacing YouTube would be fine with me, as I would use Hulu much more than I have ever used YouTube. Just wanted to see what others thought.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Wouldn't that be great?

I can't help but wonder if Apple would see such a feature as competitive to their iTunes Store, however. In a way, I wish Apple had never started distributing TV shows through iTunes. To me it's clear that the future of TV is ad-supported internet streaming a la Hulu, rather than pay-per-download like that which is currently offered through iTunes.

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
It would be awesome if they did something like this but I'm not holding my breath.

Apple can't even be bothered to fix the problems with the existing software. They keep releasing bullsh|t updates with new features while still not fixing the old problems. The last update broke all of my streaming TV shows and I had to revert to 1.1. 1.1 plays the same video files without any problems.

Sorry... venting. :rolleyes:

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Wouldn't that be great?

I can't help but wonder if Apple would see such a feature as competitive to their iTunes Store, however. In a way, I wish Apple had never started distributing TV shows through iTunes. To me it's clear that the future of TV is ad-supported internet streaming a la Hulu, rather than pay-per-download like that which is currently offered through iTunes.

Keep in mind that they ARE different models. Sure the models are competing on some levels but not all. You can't buy, DL and own a tv show via hulu. Thats not a service hulu can replaced (yet). Downloading (vs. streaming) is important for a lot of customers (ie. me) with slower internet connections. I'd much rather download episodes in high quality, the night before, so I can enjoy watching them without interruption. With DSL, Hulu BARELY gets by. And if its show I really like (on HD)...I'd rather get it off iTunes.

Until the masses all have FiOS, there will be a need for the iTunes model...somewhat...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
With DSL, Hulu BARELY gets by. And if its show I really like (on HD)...I'd rather get it off iTunes.

Until the masses all have FiOS, there will be a need for the iTunes model...somewhat...

Can you tell me what speed of DSL you have? I'm planning on going from cable to dsl and this is a big concern of mine.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Can you tell me what speed of DSL you have? I'm planning on going from cable to dsl and this is a big concern of mine.

Ah, the joys of DSL...when you get DSL you enter the legal speak of "speeds UP TO". I pay for 3M down, which is the fastest they can provide in my area. However, I routinely get closer to 1.8M. Sometimes, during the middle of the day, I get close to 2.7M. Still not sure why it changes...its must get throttled somewhere.

However, the 1.8M works ok for Hulu...until someone else in the house started using the bandwidth. If my wife starts watching Hulu, or downloading something on her ATV...it will kill it. i pretty much have to make sure no one else in the house is using much bandwidth before i start watching something on Hulu.

So again, its totally feasible with DSL, but there are issues. With TWC, it was never a problem. I was easily getting close to 10M with road runner. But i refuse to ever get another cent to TWC. So i'm happy with DSL...until we get Uverse or FiOS in the area...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I had DSL before going to cable - and honestly, it's not that much faster than what i was getting. Uploads are faster - but the downloads didn't change much.

I had hoped to possibly get by (budget wise) with the 3.0 service.... but that might be a pipe dream huh?

Speakeasy just told me right now i'm at 10.7 down and 1.8 up. I just won't have the budget to keep cable.

Thanks for the input - it helps!

Ah, the joys of DSL...when you get DSL you enter the legal speak of "speeds UP TO". I pay for 3M down, which is the fastest they can provide in my area. However, I routinely get closer to 1.8M. Sometimes, during the middle of the day, I get close to 2.7M. Still not sure why it changes...its must get throttled somewhere.

However, the 1.8M works ok for Hulu...until someone else in the house started using the bandwidth. If my wife starts watching Hulu, or downloading something on her ATV...it will kill it. i pretty much have to make sure no one else in the house is using much bandwidth before i start watching something on Hulu.

So again, its totally feasible with DSL, but there are issues. With TWC, it was never a problem. I was easily getting close to 10M with road runner. But i refuse to ever get another cent to TWC. So i'm happy with DSL...until we get Uverse or FiOS in the area...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.