Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkmeton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
As I unscrewed the Hitachi hard drive in my unibody macbook to take a look at it, I noticed four small bars, two at each side, which are used to hold it . I'm thinking of changing it with a WD scorpio Black. But as I read in the forums, it makes a lot of vibrating noises.. So my thoughts are that those noises are produced because the WD does not have those four "legs" in order to hold it and in order for the "feet-sockets" to absorb the vibrations. I'm not sure if I'm very clear in my description. So my main question. Do other hard drives also have those "feet" or whatever?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
They're Apple parts. They fit in rubber shock absorbers in the frame of the MacBook. When you replace the drive, you transfer them to the new drive. (they're more like studs, than screws)

Apple has replacement instructions in the user manual (p. 38, to be specific ;) )

edit: I just installed a Scorpio Black in my 17" UB. I know there are some reporting vibrations, but the one I have has no discernible spindle vibration. There is a bit of a quiet "whoosh", but nothing much different than the stock 5400 RPM Fujitsu, or my 200GB Hitachi 7200 RPM. I have another WD (in an external case) - also vibration free.

The reports of a quiet "click" from time to time are accurate - it's part of the power management. Other makes do this, too, though the sound levels vary (also, the sensitivity of the user). Speed wise, it is noticeably zippier than the stock Fujitsu - and a whole lot quieter when seeking (like virtually silent).

darkmeton

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
wow thank you for your information..!! Now I'm between a WS scorpio black and a Seagate Momentus 7200.3... Most probably I'll go with the seagate due to lower power consumption..

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
wow thank you for your information..!! Now I'm between a WS scorpio black and a Seagate Momentus 7200.3... Most probably I'll go with the seagate due to lower power consumption..

Glad to help. The Seagate's probably fine - that's my other choice, too. I've had good luck with them too (all my desktop drives are Seagate). I think there were better reviews for WD 2.5" drives over the last year or two, so that's what pushed me to their "camp". I have another WD coming along - if its "click" is quieter, this one will go back for sure - otherwise, I won't worry too much about it. As I said, the overall quietness of this compared to the Fujitsu is worth it (not to mention the speed...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.