Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I have a 12" PowerBook and an external monitor. Usually, I just use the PowerBook in closed lid mode with the monitor. I would like to use the PowerBook's built in screen to have extended desktop, but I'm worried about burning out the backlight if I use it too much. I've seen older laptops, and the displays are usually so dim because of a worn out backlight. Now, I only plan on keeping this PowerBook another two years at maximum, so should I be worried? Am I just being silly?

Klopsi69

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
hmm. I'm wondering the same thing (exact same situation), and i hope u are just being silly. Maybe a compromise, with the power saving set so that it dims automatically after inactivity?

How much does a new backlight cost?

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Dont be so paraniod. I went through the same syndrome with my iPods battery, telling myself I should only use it when I needed to so I dont kill the battery too quick. I don't care anymore...thank god for applecare! I would however, set the screen to turn off completely after say 10 minutes of inactivity. Thats what I do with my 3 yewar old Dell laptop and it still works like a champ, even for a Dell. This way you save power and your PB screen.

stoid

macrumors 601
I do IT work at a high school and even own old clam shell books are looking GREAT. I have used my screen rather heavily on my own 15 inch Aluminum PowerBook that I bought 3 days after the Paris announcement and it still looks good as new!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.