PDA

View Full Version : New iTunes Store info!

pixelhead
Apr 28, 2004, 12:48 AM
I just tried to buy a song on the itms and got this screen.

http://www.pixelheadmedia.com/crap/itunes.jpg

Looks Like we can expect some new stuff tomorrow.

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 01:15 AM
I don't see that, but I do see a lot of new stuff, including a link to download iTunes 4.5 and free anniversary songs by Foo Fighters. Are the music videos new? I haven't been to the store in a while.

Definitely new things coming out tomorrow.

bankshot
Apr 28, 2004, 01:37 AM
Oh dang, you beat me by 24 minutes (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=818069). Doh! :o ;)

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 01:46 AM
MacNN summarizes the added features:

iMix (listing of top rated mixes published by users)
Radio charts
Music videos from which users are able to purchase music instantly.
Users can also view popular QuickTime movie trailers at the iTMS.
"Free Downloads/Singles of the week", which it says will be available every week
Party Shuffle, new dynamic playsists that shuffle songs from library or playlists
CD Insert Printing to print a jewel case insert
Wish Lists
WMA file import (of unprotected files only)
A lossless encoder for importing CDs into iTunes
Direct links to the music store from playlists
Unlimited CD burning of songs with playlist burning now limited to 7 times
Apple also expanded the number of computers that are able play (protected) songs to 5 machines (up from the previous limit of 3).
iTunes on Campus program available for universities and colleges

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 01:48 AM
The real eye-poppers from that list are free songs, WMA support, and playback of iTMS purchases on 5 computers (up from 3).

And someone is going to have explain this party shuffle thing to me. Not sure I get the concept yet.

Savage Henry
Apr 28, 2004, 02:08 AM
The real eye-poppers from that list are free songs, WMA support...

It still hurts me inside to have the words "WMA support" mentioned anywhere near an Apple product.

Must check the weather report to see if that blizzard has hit hell yet ...

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 02:11 AM
It still hurts me inside to have the words "WMA support" mentioned anywhere near an Apple product.

Must check the weather report to see if that blizzard has hit hell yet ...

:D

I think it's a good sign, in some ways. It shows Apple is learning from its mistakes, not trying to be so insular, recognizing that it must do things the Windows way (support anyone and everyone's format) in order to have any success among those dunder-headed Windows users. It may not be pretty to purists like us, but I think it's a sign of maturity.

Awimoway
Apr 28, 2004, 02:42 AM
Okay, I guess I'm talking to myself tonight. Mods, feel free to delete anything you think is spam.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that iTunes 4.5 is now available. I've already downloaded and installed it. I still don't quite get the Party Shuffle thing. But if I'm not mistaken, it's simply a way to have greater control over iTunes' random song selection.

Savage Henry
Apr 28, 2004, 02:50 AM
:D

I think it's a good sign, in some ways. It shows Apple is learning from its mistakes, not trying to be so insular, recognizing that it must do things the Windows way (support anyone and everyone's format) in order to have any success among those dunder-headed Windows users. It may not be pretty to purists like us, but I think it's a sign of maturity.

You speak the truth sir.

I do sometimes wonder what shape the iPod/iTunes would be in today if Apple hadn't considered the Windows format. Probably not as financially stable or culturally significant. So I agree that changes like this are for the better.

adamberti
Apr 28, 2004, 03:37 AM
You speak the truth sir.

I do sometimes wonder what shape the iPod/iTunes would be in today if Apple hadn't considered the Windows format. Probably not as financially stable or culturally significant. So I agree that changes like this are for the better.

Although this change only allows Windows users with WMP 9 to convert non-DRM songs to AAC. I'm not so sure it plays WMA. We will have to see.

JFreak
Apr 28, 2004, 04:10 AM
Although this change only allows Windows users with WMP 9 to convert non-DRM songs to AAC. I'm not so sure it plays WMA. We will have to see.

it won't play them, it only converts wma to aac. luckily. and not wma for ipods :) this is just great, as i guess a lot of windows people will in time switch their windows media players to itunes, and therefore switch ftom wma to aac - most regular joes don't even know the format what their music is encoded to, and getting those people into using aac format promises good for apple.

now just a little more aggressive itunes-win promotion and that's a winner...

mmmdreg
Apr 28, 2004, 04:21 AM
edit: I see it's been released already =).

here (http://funmac.com/showthread.php?t=6630) is the original link I had up anyway..

billyboy
Apr 28, 2004, 04:26 AM
Apple are going to stay up and ahead of the competiiton if they keep listening to the requests and implementing this sort of new feature list.

The update is going to murder a few wallets with such easy access to the Music Store "just to see" what other tunes are available from an artist. And a taster of the next development direction of the store with videos

What is up with the radio listing though. Under Blues there are 2 options!

Easy printing CD covers is another great little offering, but have you noticed the repaeat copy of playlists is 7 now? Still, with up to 5 computers active now, that is still an improvement of sorts.

Pcy
Apr 28, 2004, 05:08 AM
Just noticed -now when you select a playlist in iTunes an arrow appears next to the playlist name - if you click on that arrow you get a messge that you are about to publish that Playlist on the iTMS, "so that anyone can see your favourite mixes" :)

UKMacBod
Apr 28, 2004, 05:17 AM
With regard to WMA support, it seems that iTunes will only import and *convert* WMA into AAC, and will ONLY do this if Windows Media 9 is installed (on the PC anyway, not near my Mac at the moment!).

This Party Shuffle thing seems cool though...!!

Seems like a good update :)

UKMacBod
Apr 28, 2004, 05:26 AM
WOW!!

According to http://www.apple.com/itunes/, there are now:

700,000 tracks now on the store
450 independent labels