Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Hey all,

I have a a year and a half old MacBook and I'm a bit concerned. The button on my track pad (specifically the left side) makes a clicking noise when I apply pressure to it. Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, any remedies? I have AppleCare, do you think it's covered under warranty?

Thanks Guys,

Habitus

core2duo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
the same thing happened to me and I was able to fix it with some compressed air and a spudger. Here's how I did it:

1. Take out the battery. Underneath where it sits is the underside of the trackpad. You'll know which part it is because it's similar in shape to the top side of the button. You'll see a seperation there, gently push the flat end of the spudger in and pry up just a little.

2. Insert the compressed air straw into the gap and give it a couple good sprays. Try to get it as deep as you can.

3. Remove the spudger and straw, check for improvement. You might need to keep gently prying up with the spudger until you're satisfied with the results.

The spudger I used was one of the ifixit kind, but you could probably also use one of those bamboo sticks manicurists use. Just be gentle.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I'm being serious. The clicking noise comes and goes. If i haven't used my Mac for some time, the clicking occurs but after some use, it subsides. I'll try the compressed air. Any other suggestions? Does anyone know if this is covered by AppleCare?

Habitus

sawtdk

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
I do have the problem too... and I'm too searching for solution.

As you say it sometimes subsides after some use. But then when you open the computer up again it's there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.