Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
I am on the lookout for an apple notebook, and have been reading through the forums, but I still can't decide...

- 12" ibook 1Ghz with 60Gb HD and AE
- 14" ibook 1.2Ghz with 60Gb HD and AE
- 12" PB 1.33Ghz with 60Gb HD and AE (and BT)

I work as an architect, but the notebook is not really intended as a drawing board (but I do sometimes need to show some stuff to customers on the road). Primary use will be word/excel and the internet.
I am especially curious about the screen size of the 12" ers... I know you can always hook up an external monitor @ home but still... Is 12" enough ? Furthermore : would you go for the faster 14" ibook (and the bigger screen) or spend the extra $$ for the PB range ? I have the feeling that, since the PB G5 is still some time away, the G5 ibook is for now nowhere to be seen. So an ibook looks like the best bang for $ ??

Any thoughts are welcome.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have the PB 12" rev. B and love it. I thought that the 12" screen might be too small. But It really hasn't been an issue. Like someone told me when I started looking, the original Mac had a 9" screen.

As to the iBook vs. the PB. The PB officially supports spanning of the monitors. If you are doing a BTO system, I would suggest getting the BT on the iBook. Also the Superdrive option on the 14" iBook or 12' PB is nice to have. Great for backups.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
If money is not that critical in your decision the 15" PB would be perfect for you, although the iBooks are great computers too. One of my reasons for suggesting the PB is that it has a more professional look than the iBooks.
Since you are an architect and into design, what better way to show off than to show your PB, whose industrial design to second to none!

Welcome to the board!

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
Frisco said:
Since you are an architect and into design, what better way to show off than to show your PB, whose industrial design to second to none!

I second that. If you are going to use it for work-related purposes, you definitely want a "pro" 'book. And, for what you say you will be doing with it (internet, word, etc. + portability), I would think the 12" PB would be your best choice of those three.

- reaper

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Frisco said:
If money is not that critical in your decision the 15" PB would be perfect for you, although the iBooks are great computers too. One of my reasons for suggesting the PB is that it has a more professional look than the iBooks.

Welcome to the board!

Well, thank you, and you're right of course.

But, unfortunately, I do have to take other costs into account. A 15" PB will set me back 1,5-2 times the money of an ibook. And I also have a DP Powermac G4, which will turn 3 in a couple of months (it still serves me great though). Anyway : $2000 really is the max i'd like to spend.
A refurbished Ti-book would be an alternative, but in Belgium there's no such thing as a refurbished apple-store (yet) :(

Edit : I know that in the US you can buy a 15" PB for $1999, but not so in Europe, where VAT taxes are applied.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
ts1973 said:
Well, thank you, and you're right of course.

But, unfortunately, I do have to take other costs into account. A 15" PB will set me back 1,5-2 times the money of an ibook. And I also have a DP Powermac G4, which will turn 3 in a couple of months (it still serves me great though). Anyway : $2000 really is the max i'd like to spend.
A refurbished Ti-book would be an alternative, but in Belgium there's no such thing as a refurbished apple-store (yet) :(

Edit : I know that in the US you can buy a 15" PB for $1999, but not so in Europe, where VAT taxes are applied.

Well the 12" sounds perfect then! It's a great feeling getting a brand new computer. Even if you eventually decide that the 12" is a little small for your needs, they have a high resale value, so you really have nothing to lose. Like someone mentioned above the 12" may sound small, but it really is a decent size--perhaps the perfect size for a portable.

You can take a look at PowerMax who offers reburbished PBs, including Titanium ones. I believe they ship internationally. Keep in mind though the technology is older in Titanium PBs. I believe the last update to the Ti line was 11/2002 maxing out at 1GZ.
Also Ti's don't offer built in BlueTooth, AE and USB2 like the Al PBs, but otherwise Ti's are very nice.
http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c-rf8592ll/a-ref

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Just went to tjhe local store to check my options out : I think I'll go along with the suggestiosn here and go for the powerbook 12", even if it's the most expensive of my three choices. It just looks darn good and gives a very professional impression. The ibook in comparison looks a little too "plastic" for my taste.
The keyboard did also feel a little better than that of the ibook and the screen is definately better than that of the 14" ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.