PDA

View Full Version : New iPods soon?

crenz
Apr 28, 2004, 04:38 AM
There's an iPod software update available at http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/ . It says:

iPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004

So could that mean we'll see new iPods soon?

aswitcher
Apr 28, 2004, 05:00 AM
There's an iPod software update available at http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/ . It says:

So could that mean we'll see new iPods soon?

Yeah, interesting. Maybe.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 28, 2004, 06:00 AM
This is not a news story, make sure you start a thread in the right forum.

TheT
Apr 28, 2004, 06:10 AM
Anyhow, see that new redisigned iPod icon in iTunes 4.5? Before this update, you could see that you had a 3G ipod because of the buttons... now, it's just a wheel again. Rumors say the 4G photo-iPod has a mini-like wheel.
We'll get them... today :D

tomf87
Apr 28, 2004, 07:04 AM
I'm curious why iTunes 4.5 and the iPod update didn't show in Software Update as previous versions did.

yuri_koval
Apr 28, 2004, 07:36 AM
I'm curious why iTunes 4.5 and the iPod update didn't show in Software Update as previous versions did.

Maybe testing ?

JFreak
Apr 28, 2004, 08:13 AM
patience is a virtue :D

aricher
Apr 28, 2004, 09:21 AM
If you read the note that comes with the iPod update you'll see that the update is to take advantage of the new features of iTunes 4.5:

Pod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector
Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

TheT
Apr 28, 2004, 09:33 AM
If you read the note that comes with the iPod update you'll see that the update is to take advantage of the new features of iTunes 4.5:

Pod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality
So what? :confused:

aricher
Apr 28, 2004, 10:44 AM
So what?? So the note Apple posted with the updater basically negates the postulation of a new iPod being released. This is a software update for older hardware (including the 1st Gen iPods) NOT software for hardware to be released soon.

I don't think we'll be seing new iPods until the next MacWorld convention - maybe WWDC - doubt it though.

TheT
Apr 28, 2004, 10:49 AM
So what?? So the note Apple posted with the updater basically negates the postulation of a new iPod being released. This is a software update for older hardware (including the 1st Gen iPods) NOT software for hardware to be released soon.

I don't think we'll be seing new iPods until the next MacWorld convention - maybe WWDC - doubt it though.
Ever thought about the fact that "Pod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004." could mean that there are models after April 28, 2004? Why this date, why not "Version 2.2" along with iTunes 4.5? Imagine there will be new ones in two months... if someone buys an iPod tomorrow, what about this update? :D

aricher
Apr 28, 2004, 12:04 PM
To me what the significance of "before April 28" means is that anything leaving the factory after the 28th will have the new software pre-installed - much like PowerMacs/Books and Panther/iLife installations. iPods sitting on shelves right now would still require the update.

Seeing as how Steve J just ended his press briefing with no mention of a new iPod I'm guessing new versions are a few months off.

TheT
Apr 28, 2004, 12:24 PM
To me what the significance of "before April 28" means is that anything leaving the factory after the 28th will have the new software pre-installed - much like PowerMacs/Books and Panther/iLife installations. iPods sitting on shelves right now would still require the update.

Seeing as how Steve J just ended his press briefing with no mention of a new iPod I'm guessing new versions are a few months off.
:( Still, if someone buys an iPod here in Germany on May 28, it will defenately have Software version 2.1 on there... Apple never mentioned a date on iPod updates before... they did it with security updates, which makes sense... I guess they just wanted to play with us :confused:

g30ffr3y
Apr 28, 2004, 12:44 PM
there will be ipod updates soon as i just got my 40 gig yesterday...

*note* i didnt buy a 40 gig... my 30 crapped out and i used my best buy warranty... after two weeks of trying to "fix" it in the super secret best buy tech labs... they called and told me to come pick up a new one...

like they had to make me wait two weeks...

it has software 2.1 what is the new software btw???

7on
Apr 28, 2004, 03:13 PM
Finally, I'm able to update my 2G... :)

haiggy
Apr 28, 2004, 04:04 PM

Both showed up in my Software Update.