Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiwiTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Washington, DC
Has anyone noticed variation in performance on iPhone vs iPod touch? I am working on a books app and see quite a bit of variation on the two devices. Not sure whether this is standard or I am doing something wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Whilst it shouldn't make any difference for your average run of the mill UIKit orientated apps there is quite a significant difference between the devices where games and highly intensive graphical applications are concerned.

In order of most powerful to least powerful:-

iPod Touch 2G -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPod Touch

We have 3 apps out on the App Store at the minute and all of them run fine across all the devices as they are using mainly UIKit and CoreGraphics. We are currently making a game using OpenGL and we have noticed significant differences between the upper end and the lower end of the devices where performance is concerned

KiwiTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Washington, DC
iPhone vs iPod touch

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We are mainly using UIKit and CoreGraphics. I have especially noticed the memory usage (using Instruments to measure) on iPhone is a lot more than iPod which sometimes cauyse crashes on iPhone and not on iPod.

Does anyone else seen similar behavior and have any fixes? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.