PDA

View Full Version : Putting names on the web

ccriste
May 4, 2009, 11:38 PM
Is it illegal or just bad form to put someone's name up on a webpage without their permission? Here's the story. I've created an unofficial class website, since we didn't have one, for our high school class. We graduated many years ago. The individual names are on nameplates on a plaque. There's no way for me to contact everyone to get their permission for me to include their name on a webpage. Should I worry much?

I'm planning to write something up saying to contact me if they want their name taken off. Would that suffice?

miles01110
May 5, 2009, 12:45 AM
Not sure if it's illegal, but I guess you've taken the necessary precautions by saying you'll remove it if you want them too.

I personally would be more than a little annoyed if I found my name on a webpage like that, though.

angelwatt
May 5, 2009, 05:46 AM
Well, is it just a name, or is there a picture with it? Placing a full name and image of a minor (under 18 in the U.S.) is considered a bad move when you don't have the parent's permission. Though, since it sounds like it has been a few years everyone is likely an adult now. I don't think there's any legal issues unless you have harassing messages about people or are or are hurting someone's reputation in some way.

ccriste
May 5, 2009, 04:37 PM
Not sure if it's illegal, but I guess you've taken the necessary precautions by saying you'll remove it if you want them too.

I personally would be more than a little annoyed if I found my name on a webpage like that, though.

Thanks Miles for your honest reply. I figured that some would feel the way you said you'd feel if you suddenly saw your name on a webpage.

ccriste
May 5, 2009, 04:43 PM
Well, is it just a name, or is there a picture with it? Placing a full name and image of a minor (under 18 in the U.S.) is considered a bad move when you don't have the parent's permission. Though, since it sounds like it has been a few years everyone is likely an adult now. I don't think there's any legal issues unless you have harassing messages about people or are or are hurting someone's reputation in some way.

It's just their name on a nameplate. Much like brass nameplates on a trophy or a plaque. There are no images of the person.